A few questions
Close

Thread: A few questions

Hi folks,

Just wondering if I can get some answers here:

1) Is Babbits Online a good source for OEM parts? If there is a better/cheaper place, let me know. Otherwise, this place appears to have all the stuff I need.

2) I am going to replace my stock swing arm with an aftermarket one. I cannot tell if I need to add bushings to the aftermarket one, can anyone tell from these photos?

Is this the bushing?

This is what the new swingarm looks like.

So I think I need new bushings. What do you guys think?

Thanks - Bart

Looks to me like roller needle bearings.

Way more precise than bushings. Transmit more road shock and you gotta stay on top of greasing them, but they'll hold that long swingarm in line pretty solidly.

I don't see any zerks on the new arm. Greasing them is gunna be a lot more ctitical than it was with the soft stock bushings.

I'm assuming that it was designed to accept stock inner sleeves. If not, you got a problem unless they came with it.

The stockers are hardened, though maybe not to roller bearing hardness. If they were properly greased they may only be polished, rather than worn. I'd mic the middle, unworn portion and do a comparison. If they're within a few thousandths I'd reuse them.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

OK, yeah, the inner sleeves I think can be inserted into the new swing arm. But you are saying that I won't even need bushings now? Just insert the inner sleeves and lube up those needle bearings, install new oil seals, and I am good? And yes, you are right, there are no grease fittings on the new swing arms.

This is exactly what I need to know. I don't want to order anything I don't need and I don't want to forget anything on my order!!

Thanks - Bart

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Others have the Japanese aftermarket swingarms and can probably advise you better. I have no direct experience with them. My swingarm is an extended stocker with stock bushings. Your roller bearings are a nice feature, but every bike made had bearings rather than bushings back in the day, so I can at least speak to that. I consider them to be better, but it's a "Good news, bad news" kinda thing.

Frrstly expect to feel a bit more road rumble. Don't freak. Nature of the beast.

The stock bushings were very forgiving. They're made of soft material and if you get lax with greasing them they'll just slowly become oblonged until they get sloppy enough to get your attention, then you just replace them. It's pretty hard to damage the inner sleeve no matter how trashed they get. You can also pump grease into dried out bushings and the grease will (at least for a time) tighten up the tolerances in the worn bushings. They're pretty forgiving, absorb a lot of road shock and are kinda idiotproof.

Your new swingarm has hardened rollers, instead. That means they're tighter and more precise, the bike will handle better and your longer swingarm will run a lot straighter than it will within the rubbery, squirmy stockers. But that also means that the inner sleeve will now ride metal-to-metal if you let them get dry.

If you neglect them they either wear a channel into the sleeve or the rollers themselves will eventually turn to powder. They will outlive the stock bushings and maybe even outlive YOU, but ONLY if you stay after them. Dry bearings will also rattle like a BB in a bathtub and you'll feel every pebble on the road.

I guess what I'm saying is that they're "better", but they're gunna be more work in terms of maintenenence without the zerks. Most aftermarket stuff is made from off-the-rack standard sized tubing, so it's very possible that the original stock bushings won't fit into them anyway, but even if they do I'd keep the bearings due to the length of the swingarm and the fact that you'll have to remove the swingarm to grease either one, regardless.

I know what the danged things cost to import, and it probably came with really nice powdercoating. But if were mine I'd still consider have someone weld stock-style zerk tubes on it.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I cannot; for the life of me, figure out why there are no grease fittings on your swingarm. Was there supposed to be some kind of super duty seal kit that needed to be purchased along with the swingarm? Take a look at the "all-balls" kit, and you'll see what i mean. it has roller bearings in it too. Take lizrdbrtth's advise and get some fittings put on that high dollar add on. The material's to thin to drill and tap; so you'll have to have them welded. Keep us informed.

You guys suggest just adding zerks, as I was thinking the same thing last night. I think I can do it with my MIG. I will call my experienced welding buddy back east and see if he thinks it is something I can do myself with my MIG or if I should have a pro shop TIG in a pair. I am planning to have the swing arm powder coated with the rest of the parts so it all matches anyhow.

As for parts, basically, I just need to insert the inner sleeve and put seals and dust covers on and I should be good to go, right?

Thanks!!!

Bart

I don't think zerks have to be welded in. Drill a whole and tap it. They should have threads on them.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Quote Originally Posted by n2o2diver View Post
    I don't think zerks have to be welded in. Drill a whole and tap it. They should have threads on them.

Yeah, maybe I will try that first, welding would just be an extra precaution.

THanks - Bart

Sponosred Links