Cornering issues, help??
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Cornering issues, help??

Cornering issues, help??

So, 2015 Tw, stock tires ran for 6000kms, then I had a spill in a roundabout in top of 2nd gear - rear end got loose and bike dropped - I wasn't leaned over very far at all, and have taken the same corner before (daily commute) in mid third gear with no issues dragging toes/footpegs.

So after that happened, I switched to shinko sr428 front and rear, they stock like glue on the road, can ride for miles no hands, brakes better, etc, just feel a lot more grip.

But I'm still having issues with the back end kicking out, same corner and also some downtown left turns accelerating in 2nd.

I don't feel like it's not a tire issue as these tires are far more grippy, and even the stock ones weren't an issue before.

One note is I have cheap heated grips from Amazon that came with a throttle tube already installed in one grip, and I've had issues with it sticking wherever I put the throttle - free cruise control lol- after a few clearance adjustments around throttle tube/cable area it works okay, some would call it still a little sticky, but I'm used to it. Could this be my issue though?? If so what are you guys running for heated grips?

I should mention, I commute 23kms each way, three roundabouts, I travel at 105km/h usually, and enter the roundabouts at roughly 50-60km/h. The first roundabout (where I have the issues) the most is 10 min into my drive, so tires are good and hot by then. I typically brake and downshift to third and go through 1/2 throttle then accelerate again as I'm straightening out..... If traffic is slow I run top of second gear (due to lower speed) and it's usually as I start to accelerate and straighten up that it let's go.

Am I doing something wrong in my process? Is there anything that could help it corner better - well basically have more grip? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any different habits, mods, etc that will help.... Other than slowing down lol??

Thanks in advance, sorry for long post and metric measurements
    Badgerflorida and Ken like this.

Hi,
    I’ve often found that roundabouts often ‘show up’ diesel which has been dropped on the road, and it is really slippy. (Not an issue on straights) because you are cranked over. Doubly bad after the first rain after a period of warm & dry weather.
    The only thing you could check is the swing arm bearings, and that the rear wheel is 90 degree to the swing arm

That was my thought too. Road surface issues. A car with a leaking radiator or hose dropping coolant is deadly too, plus sand and loose stuff.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Oh okay, that makes sense, the road I commute on according to research for last construction project is used by over 1000 semis a day, and the roundabouts do seem to have a slightly different shade of colour to the pavement - I'd assumed rubber ground in from semi trailers dragging tires on the turns...... Diesel and oil would make more sense - guess I'll take it slower or find a better route. Thanks

The real wheel is definitely 90° to swing arm, but I'll have a good look at the bearings.

Thanks for your input! Much appreciated🙂

Agree with fluids on the road. Also - even though the rear tire is wide, it’s still only 14 in, which even with our meager 14(?) hp will still get squirrelly with throttle in corners. I tend to wait til the bike is back to perpendicular to give it the beans. Of course, ambient and road temperature also have alot to do with traction.

Also - if you were really on the stock TW34 knobbies your contact patch is much less and has open gaps. Not ideal for street cornering.

I just put the Shinko 428 on the back of my 96 and am interested to see the difference from the Bridgestone TW204 on my 01. Cheers
    Ken likes this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Yeah you're probably right, should wait until I'm at least mostly upright before getting on it again.

Yeah, there wasn't much contact patch left, but the knobbies are surprising in what you can actually do in a corner - I know I shocked a lot of people on corners before.

Oh a comparison between the tw204 and the Sr428! That would be awesome, I couldn't make up my mind, only ended up with the shinko as I could get a set for the price of one of the bridgestone due to a clearance sale.

Oh, the sr428 pretty much suck in mud, gravel and dirt is okay tho, but not quite as good as stock

Knobblies are great on road – but suck in the wet (and Diesel) – next time be ready to “kick” the bike back upright …….
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Kick? What ya talking bout Willis? Splain for the audience please...

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Knobblies are great on road – but suck in the wet (and Diesel) – next time be ready to “kick” the bike back upright …….
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

"Oh a comparison between the tw204 and the Sr428! That would be awesome, I couldn't make up my mind, only ended up with the shinko as I could get a set for the price of one of the bridgestone due to a clearance sale. "

I have never run the shinko 428s but one thing I have noticed is that the Bridgestones have a higher speed rating. I ran the 203 204s both on and off road and loved them. I installed 244s and the stock rear on both my bikes and will be switching back when I wear them out.
    Ken likes this.

I kinda understand what you mean by "kick" the bike upright. Unfortunately I have literally 0 mx experience so it isn't my first reaction/reflex - not something I've been in the habit of doing

Yeah I noticed even the Sr428 has a higher speed rating than oem, didn't check what it was on the 203/204. I will tell you with the sr428 and balance beads, the bike is much smoother and unbelievably quieter - cannot believe how much of the noise was just tires
    Ken likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links