Flat tire repair on the trail?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Flat tire repair on the trail?

Flat tire repair on the trail?

I looked in the technical stickie posts, but couldn't find anything. Has anyone written about repairing a flat on the trail?
    It would be a lot easier to do if our tires were tubeless, but since they're not, I better learn to do it in the dirt I suppose.
    Changing a tire at home in the garage is bad enough, I hope I never have to do it out on a trail, so I did put Ride On, in my tubes.
    If anyone could tell me where to look I would appreciate it. Or better yet, one of you experts might post it in the technical stickie section.
    Thanks
    Trail Woman and Ken like this.

That's a tricky one. If you're lucky, notice it before it does mare damage, and it's a slow leak, you can make sure to have a hand pump/aerosol can of compressed air and keep stopping to air up till you get somewhere you can load it onto a vehicle to get home. This has worked for my friends before on a few occasions.
    bad luck and Ken like this.

Go check out Big Dog's Site....no TW riders but these guys have flats just about every adventure ride, and a quick change on the trail

Mark's Webpage
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I recommend not riding farther on trail alone than you can walk out for help or cell coverage. Even if you take everything for a repair with you, if you're hurt it won't matter. When you have a riding buddy you can split the load of tools to carry, maybe two front tubes and the needed tools.

YouTube for tire changes/tube changes!! Most of these videos however are in a guys garage or living room. Actually on the trail will be a lot more BS. You will have to get the bike propped up on something so you can take a wheel off AND get it back on if you're alone. If you change out your front tire to something other than the Trail Wing, you'll get the chance to try it at home in a nice setting instead.

What's NOT shown on most YouTube videos is the "extra" steps, like speedometer cable, front axle re tightening, rear wheel and brake rod and chain removal, and reinstalling after the tube is changed. This has to be practiced at home.

Two tire irons minimum ( 3 is better ). A valve guide wrangler, rim protectors if you care about scratches when putting tires on. CO2 cartridges or a small compressor ( Now you need a 12 volt supply and you have to carry more stuff). All the right size wrenches needed to change the front or rear axle. I found that an adjustable and a couple other tools was all I needed at home. I didn't want to carry an entire toolbox with me.
    Trail Woman, bad luck and Ken like this.
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

RideOn and an air compressor are my friends. I have given up on the very idea of a trailside flat repair to a rear TrailWing, much less a ATV rear tire on a stock rim. Fortunately a front tire can be broken down and tube fixed conventionally. The newer, skinnier and lighter the front tire is the easier the repair I would imagine.
    After over two years and a couple thousand miles on a nail pierced RideOn equipped Duro I am a solid fan of the RideON tire sealant and balancer. Previously I had had two other nail pierced rear tires out on the trail and compressed CO2 and FIX-a-Fat were inadequate, I ended up walking beside bike out of the bush. Then I tried RideOn at the recommended dosage in a new standard tube.
    Nail is still in tire, so is the old original air . Your results may vary as my Guardian Angel seems to work overtime for me.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I keep Slime fix a flat and a pump on my bike just Incase I need to get bach to the trail head. I figure if it’s not holding enough to get home I can call AAA
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rB4GZ7fqe_o

Gives you the general idea. Maybe a cycle pump and a different set of tire irons but the Tdub kid puts out a lot of helpful information.

I did add the recommended amount of Ride On to the front and rear tubes.
    And I have changed front and rear tires in the comfort of my garage, but like Fred mentioned the idea of changing the rear out on the trail does not thrill me.
    So I should carry a small 12v compressor too? What kind do you recommend Fred?
    BTW, I clicked the like button for upnovr, TopPredator, and Fred's post, but no bueno.
    So thanks for the advice everyone.

I carry a "slime motorcycle kit". It has a small (and well made) compressor with several attachments and a 12oz bottle of slime made for tube tires. I've used the compressor many times for my quad and others. It has held up well. Amazon and ebay have them as do some Walmarts

I think the front tire would be easy to change/fix on the trail but the rear a lot more difficult. I’ve changed, removed, replaced a few stock rear tires and busting the bead is the hardest. I’d call for helicopter search and rescue if I got a flat with my ATV tire on stock rim.

Tubliss repair on ATV on wife’s trailer rim mod is way easy with plug kit.

If sidewall we’re sunk no matter what. I should get ride on even if tube is used like Fred.

P.S. I carry a hand pump now to save space and weight. Used to carry a 12v but took up room so I quit.
    Last edited by admiral; 06-05-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links