I took a HF motorcycle hitch carrier apart, and used four u bolts to attach it to the tongue of my tiny pop up camper. Just put about 500 miles on this rig and no issues that I can see. The Tdub clears the camper by about an inch, and I ended up using 9 straps to make sure it was tied down firmly.
An added benefit was that the towing experience was much more stable. This is due I believe to the added tongue weight. This particular pop up camper did not have a lot of tongue weight. I could always lift the tongue with one hand easily, even with the camper loaded. It tended to jerk the towing vehicle a little bit as it didn't really have any significant tongue weight. With the TW200 on the frame, it calmed the ride down very nicely, and almost eliminated any jerking of the hitch.
My straight edge reveals no frame bending, which doesn't surprise me, it is a pretty robust frame, almost overkill for the size of the camper.
Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!
perfect, now you can bring your favorite toy everywhere you camp! Good idea
Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?
Another homemade tow hauler.
2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.
Very nice solution. Those U-bolts are under a lot of tension during the load-unload process though. I would want to confirm nut tightness periodically as U-bolts may tend to bend a bit more over time and vibration.
Fred, I actually bent the U bolts and plates a wee bit upon installation, but I wanted to make sure the lock nuts I used to replace the regular nuts that came with them were well seated once I tightened them down.
And yup in my "new contraption on the road at 70mph" frame of mind, I was checking them when I stopped for breaks/gas, etc.
The carrier (and TDub!) did not budge for the whole trip... lol, I probably had my eye on it through the mirrors way too much, but all went well.
I could see how Agfrag had cleverly pre-bent the U-bolts in order to take out potential slop as well as to provide enough threaded shank to engage the Ny-lock nuts. Probably bomb-proof as is, yet my experience is cyclical vibration can reek havoc on seemingly properly assembled stuff. So I am a fan of checking bolts periodically even if unnecessary.
When I think at times "Oh, it doesn't matter" I then recall how Mrs.Rhodetrip had a unknown loose top engine stay mount result in a broken frame mid-way down Death Valley's Titus Canyon. That changed a fun vacation trip into a rescue adventure.