Acid Mess
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acid Mess

Acid Mess

So for the last past couple laundries ive done i noticed my jeans been having holes on the right leg in the same spot and i was confused until i start noticing more and more corrosion on the right side of my brand new bike i went to investigate sure enough the battery been leaking acid so i went back to the store and got a new battery(warranty) but on my last ride which was at night a car honk and signaled me to let me know all my tail lights were off so I guess the acid got to some wires or fuse.

I got a 2015 TW, can any body throw me a bone a diagram may help to see how can i solve this issue and is there any corrosion cleaner i can buy to get the bike looking better again without needing to paint?

If you look at the battery, it should have a breather outlet in an "L" shape pointing downwards at one end

Simply attach a length of silicon or plastic pipe to that, and feed the end down to below the swinging arm - job done

(Welcome to the board) ........
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    If you look at the battery, it should have a breather outlet in an "L" shape pointing downwards at one end

Simply attach a length of silicon or plastic pipe to that, and feed the end down to below the swinging arm - job done

(Welcome to the board) ........
    yeah the battery came with a clear one but 'll have to look for a longer one good idea and thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You'll find the manuals here - Service and Repair Manuals - make sure you're looking at the right one

Any shorts your likely to have are going to be due to liquid spills - so simply let it dry out and you should be back to normal (that just sounds so weird)

After it's settled down, give the area a squirt of WD40 which should help with clearing up acid corrosive build up - "the crusty stuff" - then you can wipe your fingers on the left side of your jeans to even things up a bit .......
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

While going through my new to me 15 I noticed the battery vent hose was just jammed under the right side panel. I always wondered what those 2 loops are for on the frame and realized they are probably for the battery vent tube but have never seen them used before. Is this where the hose is routed on new bikes? Works for me .
    010.jpg011.jpg

Battery ACID is no friend to your paint, the sooner it's removed the better.
    It will also cause the steel it comes in contact too to rust, once it works it's way through what ever coatings been used to protect it.
    Clean with soap and water, when dry repaint.
    Once complete, put jeans full of holes on Ebay and sell, they are bring big money.
    You'll never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office!

Theirs a ass for every seat!

When that battery dies, go with a lithium. No acid or hoses to mess with
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Hey Scotti,
    I've read about some lithium batteries that aren't too good, do you think lithium is better than an agm battery?
    I do know they are quite a bit lighter, but isn't a special charger required?

No, ProCycle does not sell a special lithium specific replacement charging system for your TW's existing stator assembly. Simple operation of your motorcycle's un-modified engine will rapidly and safely re-charge any current drained from your lithium battery using stock recharging circuitry. Nothing needed at home although several companies would dearly love you to purchase their products.
    Think it through, if there were something inappropriate with conventional charging at home wouldn't the same concerns apply to a vehicles charging system? Ever recall any directives to change or disconnect your vehicle's stock charging system when going to a lithium battery? No? Gee, then why the concern r.e. home charging?
    I have two TWs with lithium batteries in service for several years. Both never have shown symptoms of needing a charge when stored unattended for months. Plus I don't need to worry about a Battery Tender left unattended burning down a garage with ~$15,000 worth of motorcycles and ATVs inside like what happened to my neighbor. Supposedly Fire Marshall traced fire to one of two Battery Tenders hooked up to a pair of ATVs.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by bad luck View Post
    Hey Scotti,
    I've read about some lithium batteries that aren't too good, do you think lithium is better than an agm battery?
    I do know they are quite a bit lighter, but isn't a special charger required?
    I don't have any experience with AGM batteries. I use a Battery Tender Jr. to charge my lithium's. I also bought Battery Tender Lithium batteries. They are smaller than the stock battery. They supply foam blocks to take up the space. I built a box that holds the lithium battery that fits into the battery box of the bike, eliminating the need for the foam spacers. It's been about a year on the TW so not a lot of time has passed. So far, no problems.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links