Wife Is Riding Again
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Wife Is Riding Again

Wife Is Riding Again

My wife had a bad experience with an XT225 a while back, then we moved out of the country for work.
    She never really felt comfortable on a bike and has no adrenaline desire at all.

I grabbed up a near free 1987 TW and have been slowly piecing it back together, but time she waits for no one...

With summer in full swing and the monsoon season fast approaching us here in the high desert I had to get her something to ride.
    Luck was with me when I found an unmolested, low mileage 2006 for a good price... Tax, tags and insurance paid and now the hard part...

Getting her to "like" riding again..

The good news is she fits... This has been her main problem since the beginning. She needs to touch at last one foot flat on the ground. The fact I can't flat foot my DRZ doesn't mean a thing to her.

A few trips around the block and she promised she would do a "short" dirt and highway ride.

The first fill up.
    20180613_185232.jpg

Short dirt trail.
    20180613_190005.jpg

The next day, after she didn't die... We did a bit longer - about 15 miles of mixed road and dirt.
    I did have to ride it down a sandy wash, but I've seen experienced riders wipe out on those slopped sandy washes.

20180617_113030.jpg

20180617_113035.jpg

The trail we were on turned real nasty so we turned around.

But we were able to get out and see some areas we wouldn't have otherwise and had a little picnic lunch.

20180617_113703.jpg

20180617_113806.jpg

Overall, It was a great day spent with the woman I adore doing something I enjoy.
    It doesn't get any better..

edit, sorry about the rotated pics. I'll see if I can fix that.
    Last edited by EmergentTruth; 06-17-2018 at 10:51 PM.

Outstanding report and congratulations on your persistence paying off. Just remember to put the same effort into enjoying the things SHE loves as she has put into enjoying the things you love. Do that and you two will have a long happy relationship.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Helmet, jacket, and gloves good. Torn blue jeans and cowboy boots no good at all. If she goes down with that gear she will probably never want to ride again. Get her some good MC boots with ankle protection (Gaerne?) and some riding pants with hip and knee protection. Expensive, yes, good gear always is, but a helluva lot less than even minor injuries. I always plan on falling off, and it has come true several times, always at low speeds, but my gear prevented any injuries except to my pride....which I don't have a lot of anymore.

Oh, and get rid of that OEM POS front tire ASAP. That one thing alone will reduce the likelihood of a dump by several hundred percent!!!
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 06-18-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That's awesome!
    I love spending time riding with my hunny and sometimes I even do it torn jeans and crappy boots!
    SanDue, Tweaker, joeband and 4 others like this.
    Sometimes I really miss you, but then I can't remember where I buried your body.....

I must agree that a little more protection might help prevent unanticipated scar tissue from dampening her new found spirit.
    At least that was my experience as a young man trying to teach a couple girlfriends to ride dirt bikes. Something about a girl's ankle bleeding from scraping the footpeg, or an exhaust pipe burn, tends to kill enthusiasm.
    SanDue, TopPredator, Mel and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Sue had trouble touching the ground while seated on the dub. Put an inch of sole on her boots and removed an inch of foam from the seat. She can now touch flat footed. I can tell it has given her more confidence. Members will recommend safety attire only cause they care about you. Sue and I waited until after our knees and elbows healed before purchasing some armor. Feels good not to bleed. Dirts a Flyen SanDue
    Last edited by SanDue; 06-19-2018 at 07:00 PM.

I get the ATGATT reminder. I know it is meant well.

I am kitting her up as we speak.

I have looked at the lowering options and think I am going to go with the "Leg lengthening" one where they add a few inches to her femur..
    She wants longer legs anyway.

As a follow up to the ride, 24 hours later she said the gravel hills gave her some confidence and she wants to do a bit more riding later this week...My dumb luck, I just had surgery and wont be able to ride for a few weeks.
    Fred and SanDue like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SanDue View Post
    Sue had trouble touching the ground while seated on the dub. Put an inch of sole on her boots and removed an inch of foam from the seat. She could stand to lose a couple more inches off her seat, if you know what I mean. She can now touch flat footed. I can tell it has given her more confidence. Members will recommend safety attire only cause they care about you. Sue and I waited until after our knees and elbows healed before purchasing some armor. Feels good not to bleed. Dirts a Flyen SanDue
    I have cut a few seats, but how does one "add an inch" to a boot sole?
    SanDue likes this.

I have to agree about the stock front tire...it is not confidence inspiring. I've since had the shinko 244 and now the shinko 241 and both were a huge improvement.

I have heard of a few ways to drop a TW further. Maybe drilling a lower mounting point on the swing arm for the suspension. If you reduce tension on the spring it will drop but not absorb bumps as well. Either way you'll reduce the clearance for offroad as well so there's usually a trade off.

Easy peasy except for the newer ones as they changed the swingarm shock mount but I don't think that was till 2015 or so. My wife is 5'1" and can flat foot with this mod and I think the bike handles even better than stock this way.
    003.JPG006.JPG
    Last edited by Peterb; 06-18-2018 at 09:08 PM.
    goldenhtr, Fred and EmergentTruth like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links