Like Tree14Likes
  • 7 Post By PlacerLode
  • 1 Post By stagewex
  • 2 Post By Peterb
  • 2 Post By GaryL
  • 2 Post By Trail Woman

Thread: California TW Gold and other Tales of Woe

California TW Gold and other Tales of Woe

I picked up this 2006 from the orig owners with 33 miles missing the side covers but otherwise a very clean indoor stored TW

Wasn't cheap and almost lost it to Craigslist Sharks but it's now in my loving arms lol

More when I can speak freely
    SAM_0506.JPGSAM_0507.JPGSAM_0508.JPGSAM_0509.JPG

"It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

33 miles. Holy cow, how is that even possible?
    incredible find.
    PlacerLode likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    33 miles. Holy cow, how is that even possible?
    incredible find.
    I've had many 2006's and 2005's with just over 100 miles but nothing like this

I did find a 2001 from the California Sequoia National Forest with 21 miles

This 06 was purchased by a Lady who is still fairly young (under 50ish I'd guess) and she said she took it out twice back in the day

I'm hoping they find the side panels as they are going to be hard to find in matching primo condition but they recently moved so things get packed away and hard to recall where they were

Heres the 2001 with 21 miles when the photo was taken still dusty and wearing the Forest Service Badge
    2001 tw200 RH.jpgForum1.JPG
    SAM_6423.JPG
    Last edited by PlacerLode; 06-18-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

As I was leaving AZ heading up to the Northwest I see this Craigslist post pop up in San Diego

"Hello, This was my wife's bike and we only went riding three times it only has 32 miles on it.
    It does need a professional carb cleaning but will start and run, it just doesn't idle very good then dies. It runs good enough for a test ride if you want to take it for a ride.
    3,000.00 obo"

Hidden Content

Nice finds. I picked up a 2015 last year with 782 KMs on it for $3000 cdn.
    016.JPG
    PlacerLode and putt-putt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PlacerLode View Post
    I picked up this 2006 from the orig owners with 33 miles missing the side covers but otherwise a very clean indoor stored TW

Wasn't cheap and almost lost it to Craigslist Sharks but it's now in my loving arms lol

More when I can speak freely
    SAM_0506.JPGSAM_0507.JPGSAM_0508.JPGSAM_0509.JPG

That follows my 40/60 % rule. 40% is in finding these garage queens but 60% is in being able to drop what ever you are doing and run with cash in hand to go get them. I sure hope the seller locates the side covers to make this one of the sweetest deals you have found lately. You can buy new ones in either black or white but even they go for around $50 each and will not be the exact right color for the 2006.

GaryL
    jtstdub and PlacerLode like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
    Nice finds. I picked up a 2015 last year with 782 KMs on it for $3000 cdn.
    016.JPG
    Sweet deals....That's my year. If I knew then what I know now I'd buy used. Save a few thousand.
    I could have bought 2 bikes.
    PlacerLode and Peterb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    That follows my 40/60 % rule. 40% is in finding these garage queens but 60% is in being able to drop what ever you are doing and run with cash in hand to go get them. I sure hope the seller locates the side covers to make this one of the sweetest deals you have found lately. You can buy new ones in either black or white but even they go for around $50 each and will not be the exact right color for the 2006.

GaryL
    Yup I have new black ones w/o decals but theres nothing like the originals in a case like this and I think they will find them. I paid too much to flip so this will be in the museum lol. I had a deal at $2500 they had zero interest and nobody wanting a non running TW but the next day I got an email asking for $2600 since they bought a new battery, I had to be nice and told them I have stacks of batteries at $25 each but that I would make sure the deal was amicable when I arrived. The next day they called and said they had a full price $3k offer and they needed the cash (who doesn't) but they did give me first right or refusal. Normally I'd have cut it loose but the one hi res pic they texted me looked pretty good so I agreed to the $3k even though on principal I hate people who don't keep their word. Thats CL when they had no interest people were $500 lowballing and dragging their feet on even coming to see it but the minute a seller tells them they are holding it or have a deposit buyers try to cut your throat. I usually ask sellers to delete the listing or simply save the emails and do not reply that way if I never show up they can always email the folks back a week or more later and people will be thrilled to hear from them. When I finally met the sellers (very nice folks inexperienced with CL sales and in serious financial straits legit) they said they had been offered $4k cash buy the CL A-Holes which we all know nobody would ever py $4000 for an 06 in non running condition heck my 2003 with 76 miles a total showboat has not sold in my last 3 Pacific Northwest trips asking $3400

I sometimes hold bikes for people like forum members and when people try to get me to sell it out from under them I simply ask them if I was holding the bike for them what would they want me to do? If they offer me a lot more I'll ask the buyer if they want to sell it and do a profit share on the higher amount but most people want the TW otherwise they wouldn't ask you to hold it in the first place

heres my mint 2003 CA model
    SAM_0355.JPGSAM_0340.JPGSAM_0336.JPG
    Last edited by PlacerLode; 06-19-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by PlacerLode View Post
    Yup I have new black ones w/o decals but theres nothing like the originals in a case like this and I think they will find them. I paid too much to flip so this will be in the museum lol. I had a deal at $2500 they had zero interest and nobody wanting a non running TW but the next day I got an email asking for $2600 since they bought a new battery, I had to be nice and told them I have stacks of batteries at $25 each but that I would make sure the deal was amicable when I arrived. The next day they called and said they had a full price $3k offer and they needed the cash (who doesn't) but they did give me first right or refusal. Normally I'd have cut it loose but the one hi res pic they texted me looked pretty good so I agreed to the $3k even though on principal I hate people who don't keep their word. Thats CL when they had no interest people were $500 lowballing and dragging their feet on even coming to see it but the minute a seller tells them they are holding it or have a deposit buyers try to cut your throat. I usually ask sellers to delete the listing or simply save the emails and do not reply that way if I never show up they can always email the folks back a week or more later and people will be thrilled to hear from them. When I finally met the sellers (very nice folks inexperienced with CL sales and in serious financial straits legit) they said they had been offered $4k cash buy the CL A-Holes which we all know nobody would ever py $4000 for an 06 in non running condition heck my 2003 with 76 miles a total showboat has not sold in my last 3 Pacific Northwest trips asking $3400

I sometimes hold bikes for people like forum members and when people try to get me to sell it out from under them I simply ask them if I was holding the bike for them what would they want me to do? If they offer me a lot more I'll ask the buyer if they want to sell it and do a profit share on the higher amount but most people want the TW otherwise they wouldn't ask you to hold it in the first place

heres my mint 2003 CA model
    SAM_0355.JPGSAM_0340.JPGSAM_0336.JPG
    I've been through all that crap! Not knowing where the bike was in relation to where you were it is hard to say. For me when they said the $2600 I would have been in the truck with trailer and cash and a promise it will be there at the agreed price when I arrive. I drove 4 hours up to Elmira to get one and there was another buyer sitting in the driveway who offered $200 more and was hoping I didn't take it. Seller was completely honorable and the other buyer was a real dick I almost knocked out for getting in my face and involved while we were doing the dealing. I learned later this jerk had looked at the bike twice and tried to get it for less than I paid but once he heard it was sold and I was on my way to get it he came up with more cash.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Sponosred Links