1987 - How far gone is "too gone"?
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: 1987 - How far gone is "too gone"?

1987 - Update: Not too far gone!

I picked up this this '87 for $200. I'm wrestling with the idea of fixing it up, but there's a lot missing, and it's going to need a lot of work. I can really use your help to make up my mind. Do you think it's worth the $ and effort?

The good:
    -The engine isn't seized, and it appears to have good compression.
    -The transmission shifts, and I can find neutral.
    -The seat is in OK condition, though I'd probably replace the cover.
    -It only has 2256 miles.

The bad:
    -It's seen a significant amount of weather, as you can see in the pictures. There's surface rust on the frame, swingarm and unfortunately, the electrical contacts. No idea if the CDI works, but let's assume it doesn't.
    -The tank is missing
    -The rear fender and side panels are missing.
    -The front fender is cracked and needs replacing.
    -Kickstand is missing.
    -The clutch cable is roached, and it's anyone's guess if the clutch is workable.
    -The front brake cable is roached.
    -The controls are weathered and it's unkown if they function. For sure, the throttle assembly will need to be replaced.
    -Leaky fork seals.
    -Minor oil residue on the bottom of the engine, but the engine currently has the proper oil level.
    -It looks like the chain flew off at one time and cracked the side cover at the front sprocket. I'm not seeing anything but cosmetic damage at this point.

The bike was last licensed in 1990, and it's probably been stored under a tarp since then.

So, it's obviously a major project - Just not sure if it's worth the effort to fix it. What do you think?

20180619_123618.jpg20180619_124650.jpg20180619_124613.jpg20180619_124538.jpg20180619_124545.jpg20180619_124557.jpg20180619_124704.jpg
    Last edited by imlost; 07-22-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    TWy to make a TWip to the TWails to make some TWacks.

I tallied up the cost for a new CDI, Clarke tank, petcock, rear fender, front fender, side panels, kickstand, brake and clutch cables, and even if I buy some of this used, it's still going to be up in the $850 range, and by the time I add new tires, filters, etc, it's probably going to be around $1000, IF THERE ARE NO MAJOR ISSUES.

That's about what mine looked like.

I approached it as a long-term project just to keep me occupied. No deadlines and a monthly budget to keep me from getting too excited.

I'm on about month six... and it now runs and drives, still ugly as sin, bit hey...

I guess the question really is do you need a project???

Personally I love getting bikes back on the road to live another day.
    imlost likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Secondly...

Do not throw out your CDI until your whole wiring harness has been pulled part and cleaned. Check each wire for good continuity and then reassemble. It takes a few days, but is well worth the trouble.

I did a writeup on electrical specs for the 87 a few days ago. It may help you trouble shoot any gremlims.

Here are my thoughts. I have one similar to yours that was running when I got it for $100. Since it didn't come with a title and is also a 1987, I never seriously considered putting any time or money into and have just been cannibalizing it for parts as somebody needs something. You could put $1,000 into yours and it would still only be worth 5 to 6 hundred dollars if you wanted to sell it.

You could easily sell the wheels and some odd bits and pieces like the turn signals, gauges, etc., to recover your $200 investment. Add that to the $1,000 you are considering putting into and you can probably get yourself a pretty nice TW that doesn't need a lot of work.

So I guess no, I don't think it is worth the $ and effort.

100_2795.JPG

100_2896.JPG
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 06-19-2018 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added pictures

Itd't take 2k at least to get that thing to scratch - probably more

Depends om how much you want an '87 .......
    Old n dirty likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

EmergentTruth, Though I'm not half-bad at wiring, I don't think I'll ever be as ambitious as you are regarding replacing all of the wiring in a harness. I think I'd probably get about half way through the project and hang myself with said harness. :-) I'll be sure to check out your write-up.

Brian, I'm not sure where you get your deals, but I've been looking diligently here in Oregon and Washington for the last few years, and you just can't find a running TW200 for $5-600. For that matter, you can't even find one for more than twice that amount, unless it has really high miles. I really appreciate your input, though. That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for - honest.
    Dryden-Tdub and jtstdub like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Itd't take 2k at least to get that thing to scratch - probably more

Depends om how much you want an '87 .......
    Not bad enough to spend $2k! I already have one 2004 and two 2013's. I'm just looking for one that is in less-than-perfect condition so my wife can learn to ride. She really wants to have her own bike and I'm going to need to lower it a bit, because she's vertically challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by imlost View Post

Brian, I'm not sure where you get your deals, but I've been looking diligently here in Oregon and Washington for the last few years, and you just can't find a running TW200 for $5-600. For that matter, you can't even find one for more than twice that amount, unless it has really high miles. I really appreciate your input, though. That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for - honest.
    Another '87, $550 but no title.

https://modesto.craigslist.org/mcy/d...619543989.html
    Ken likes this.

Crazy. I just don't see deals like that here. I'd be happy to buy that bike and put together one good one, if it was closer.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links