• 2 Post By Fred
  • 3 Post By Joemama
  • 2 Post By old w/??
  • 2 Post By admiral
  • 4 Post By ssgtrillium

Thread: Dumb Dan Day

Dumb Dan Day

Dumb Dan Day 2

Been experiencing technical difficulties with Sue's bike. Last week I would be writing in capital letters, very frustrating. Couple of weeks ago we attempt a 60 mile ride behind Shasta Dam. We get about 20 miles into the ride and was stopped by a road closure, more like a road gone. Looks like Fred's driveway from last winter.

This land slide prevents us from getting to Bohemotash Mt.

When we restart the bikes, her bike started missing and back firing. This isn't good. It cleared up and off we went. A few miles down the road she complained of it happening again and again. I was suspecting it was the cheap gas we had been using.

I drained the gas tank and carburetor and poured in a can of sea foam. I started the bike and let it run for a bit. Shut it off and let it sit over night. Next mourning refilled tank and carburetor with gas and off we go. About ten miles into our ride the bike dies. Like it ran out of gas. I pull the gas line off the carburetor and spill some gas, it's getting gas to the carb. I try starting it again and it fires right away. Nothing wrong with this bike. Off we go. To make this long story short, the bike continually got worse with time. The distances traveled before the bike would cough and spit seemed to be around 10 to 20 miles. When the bike warmed up, I think. So I decided I needed help. Who do I know who knows more then I do? I thought and thought and finally decided to call Evan with an a. He said, " it's your coil dummy"! So, I switch coils with my bike and take Sues bike for a test ride. With my coil in her bike I'm riding and riding and riding and it's hot, hot and hot. After fifty miles of going around in circles I pronounce the bike healed. In order to verify this conclusion I was to put the suspected coil on my bike and ride it to a conclusion. Off we go to wall mart for dog food. Me on the tw with the suspect coil and Sue in the rescue truck and trailer. Sure enough, after about 12 miles the bike popped and died. The symptoms seemed to get progressively worse with time. I'll have another coil in two days and where READY TO RIDE. Dirts a Flyen SanDue

In retrospect I could have just tested the bad coil in my bike as opposed to testing the good coil for fifty gal darn miles in 100 degree weather. But then it wouldn't qualify as Dumb Dan Day!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SanDue; 06-19-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Bottom line is that you have identified the coil as the culprit and it is an easy fix. Plus you are riding again after surgery, Yeah!
    That you are riding in 100 degree weather is unfortunate and not as easily fixed as a coil. Perhaps a summer solstice ride if the evenings cool off?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Yup - this heats a bitch ......
    SanDue and scotti158 like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm liking having the "like" button back!
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

You found a good reason for a ride. I say, smart
    Dan day.
    Fred and SanDue like this.

Joemama, when are you going to have any time to go ride with friends?
    Suggest a date and I imagine more than a few might be happy to warp their schedules to match yourse.
    SanDue and bananachunks like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Hopefully this fall. Summer has three big home projects, plus I have been using a bunch of pto that I have accumulated. 5200 mile trip to our grand daughters graduation. Up coming family campout in July. August trip through 7 western states and a few days in Yellowstone. I'll try to set something up in the fall of there is interest.
    Fred, bananachunks and SanDue like this.

Jomama's ride from hell II - try and make it to the lake for lunch III - or never return run!
    Joemama and SanDue like this.

With the "like" button now working, I wasn't sure if I should push it, the like button that is, thus indicating I agree Dan is Dumb. For the record, I don't think Dan is dumb. Persistent maybe! Unfortunately, I can relate to his "persistence" in the matter of spitting and sputtering.
    Cornelis and SanDue like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I can't believe that little pot hole stopped him.

Sponosred Links