Checklist when buying a used TW
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all,

I'm new here so let me introduce myself, i'm from Sri Lanka 22 year old and the TW has always been my dream bike, i've been collecting money to buy buy one and finally i've collected a decent amount to buy a good bike. one thing i mostly love about this bike is the height of this bike cuz i'm just 5'5" and this bike is perfect for me, i've driven this bike a few times and cant just get this bike off my mind.

Finally coming to the point i did a search on the forum and couldn't find something similar to this i've seen a few bikes to buy but i kind of need your guys help as to what i exactly need to check when buying a used TW, as i don't wanna be ripped off buy buying a bike that's not worth the money, after all i've been collecting for it for 2 years so i've come to you experts to help me out on what i need to check on the bike before i buy it if you guys could provide me with something like a check list that i need to check before i choose the bike i would be highly appreciated.

Avoid 1987 models if you can help it. Their CDI is unique to that year, so small chance of finding one cheap when it fails.

2001 or newer models will have a disc brake on the front, while they no longer have a kickstart. I'd say get a 2001 or newer if you can, and you can add a kickstart later if you need it.

Look over the frame for cracks, check the rear shock near the bottom for the weld to be cracked (not likely, but possible).

If you can do a compression test or leakdown test before buying, that would save you from the biggest problems you might encounter. As well, you'll read about the right and wrong oil filters on this forum. If it has the wrong one, it's dead or dying quick. If the oil is low, thin, or the filter is full of metal, it's either very new, getting very old, or hasn't been cared for.

2005~2008 models might have a bad base gasket, leading to a leak. If it has the leak, you can bargain with the seller over that. It's not a terribly hard thing to fix, but if they let the oil run low, that could be a larger problem. If the oil has been leaking but is full of fresh, clean stuff when you check it, there's a possibility it ran low on oil for awhile.

Wheel work and tires are kinda cheap on this bike compared to others, so a broken spoke, soft brakes, or a wiggly wheel isn't a big deal to fix, but make sure it gets fixed.

Check the exhaust for heavy rust or holes. It'll cause the bike to run worse if it gets bad. Bargaining chip.

Pre-2001 bikes have a manual cam chain tensioner, which may have been unadjusted, and 2001-present have an auto one. Either way, pop the left cover off the side of the cylinder/head and see how much play the chain has. You'll see rub marks in the motor if it's bad.

Obviously, a seller might not let you do a lot of these things, so try to take someone who's familiar with bikes, check oil and tire pressure, and get them to ride it a bit.

The biggest pieces of advice I can give you are the first one and the last one there. This isn't a hard bike to maintain, just try to make sure it has a good motor. Old bikes with low miles will need fuel system work, chain, and rubber stuff usually. High miles bikes might need those things, as well as engine work, typically. If you find any of the things I have listed, and the seller hasn't mentioned them before, don't pay what they are asking. For anything engine or frame related, don't pay for it at all unless you can afford a new one.

If you see any ads online for some in your area, post them up here and we can always tell you if something is clearly wrong with it. I doubt anyone on this forum would come to Sri Lanka to steal a good deal from you. Welcome to the forum, by the way.

welcome to the forum, you're going to love it when you get one. aq put together a good list, not much to add, other than parts might be harder for you to come by in sri lanka, so keep that in mind when buying.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

welcome to the forum! I am new here is well and if there is anyone that can help you its these guys no doubt. Pretty much all pro's withe the TW line.
    ALEX-

My Current Rides:

DIRT:
    2013 yz450F (race bike)
    2011 Yz450F (practice bike)
    2008 Yz250F (full mod)
    2005 TTR125 (full mod Gf's bike)

Street:
    2009 DRZ400SM (full mod)
    2009 qlink XF200 (sumo build)
    2007 SDG 140cc big bore (supermoto)
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thank You every one for the welcome, i will surely take a bike mechanic when im going to buy the bike to make sure i dont get ripped off and also thanks for the advise everyone i will post a few bikes i like on this if you could check and let me know.

Im Looking at these two for now if you could look at them and let me know it would be great

First Bike

http://riyasewana.com/bike_more.php?id=130537

Engine (cc) 200

Start Type Kick / Electric

Year 2008

Second bike

http://riyasewana.com/bike_more.php?id=130075

Engine (cc) 200

Start Type Kick / Electric

Year 2007

SUPERTRAPP SILENCER,WITH TITANIUM BEND,PROTAPER HANDLE,BRIDGESTONE TIRES,DAYTONA METER,NEW BATTERY,ENGINE 100%,PAINT 100%,BRAND NEW CONDITION BIKE

I like the 2nd bike better

Thank You guys.

Oh man, they sure don't look like that over here.

#2 does look better. I don't see a kick lever on #1.

Quote Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
    Oh man, they sure don't look like that over here.

meaning in a good way or a bad way??

Quote Originally Posted by Hameez Azad View Post
    meaning in a good way or a bad way??

Oh it's neat, it's just there's not many TW200's on the road here, and definitely not many custom ones.

Just remember working on a custom bike that you didn't build can get a little odd sometimes, depending on what's been done to it. Nothing you can't figure out with a manual, but you have to have some common sense about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links