Is a TW for me?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Is a TW for me?

Is a TW for me?

Greetings from Eagle River, Alaska! I've probably read enough articles, seen enough YouTube to make up my mind. But since I'm not a rider yet I have nothing better to do than write down some stuff.

I started thinking about getting a Rokon. I had one a few years back that was an older 2 stroke that I rebuilt. The thing was pretty amazing. There were some drawbacks. It was slow, loud, required a lot of maintenance. I probably should have kept it. But I usually have a toy for a short while. Get bored of it and sell it to buy another.

Anyway I check out Rokons site and am in shock the things are 8 grand. So there is no way I'm paying that kind of money for a Rokon. I can do it, but jeez I'd feel dumb. I dont know why that guy wants so much. You can about price every part out online or from the hardware store and I can't see more than 2k in parts sitting there

So now im looking at TW's. The one place I want this thing to work is snaking through the woods and over Muskeg. I probably would need to do that fat front tire mod. That looks like a pain. There is a bigwheel 350 for sale up here and I'm thinking of that. I dont really need the road legal feature. That being said I bet I would like it.

Well I guess I'll get back to videos and pics!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Ken and Elvesus like this.

Been in your country fighting fire quite a few times(Shot & Helitak)....the issue I see is the weight of either machine...pulling it over, under, or thru the dead/down, over grown shit...Just my .02 cents...

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Well I only have 2 spots in mind where I want to go through the woods. I think I would just cut a trail. What I'm planning is making a moose hunting trail, walking along trail, get moose, come back with TW and shuttle moose out. I'd keep both spots under 2 miles. Here is a google earth photo of one spot. Basically just creep along the edge of those open spots. The ground is kinda spongy and can get pretty wet. But in thinking all the ground sticks and bushes will act as sort of a snowshoe for the light TW and it wont sink in

Last edited by rimfirematt; 06-24-2018 at 01:01 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I would think the BigWheel 350 would be better for the moose hunt due to better inherent flotation. A TW could be big wheel modified like Alaskan resident and forum member TinyWheel200's. If reliable the BigWheel would be usuable as purchased. A stock TW might need some mods. Neither is really light and both would benefit from a moose hauling rack.
    Ken and rimfirematt like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I guess either bike would do the trick so I would look at parts availability. The BW350 was produced for four years 1985-1989 so parts may be hard to find especially in Alaska. TW parts are everywhere so my vote is for the TW
    Last edited by TopPredator; 06-24-2018 at 07:36 PM.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Tiny wheels is selling his Tdub. Non modified though..

The BW is hard to beat for that soft stuff like muskeg, I have one, love it (same engine as a tw mostly). Just stay off the sloppy stuff when it's not frozen..and a TW will be perfect. And yea, right, the Rokon prices are insane, make no sense. I'd buy one but I'd feel guilty and stupid..

A TW otherwise is a great choice. Uncle Randy up there has one and there are a few others, they are a great choice, low maintenance and very very reliable. An important thing up thatta way I would think.

Best if luck!

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Greetings from Eagle River, Alaska! I've probably read enough articles, seen enough YouTube to make up my mind. But since I'm not a rider yet I have nothing better to do than write down some stuff.

I started thinking about getting a Rokon. I had one a few years back that was an older 2 stroke that I rebuilt. The thing was pretty amazing. There were some drawbacks. It was slow, loud, required a lot of maintenance. I probably should have kept it. But I usually have a toy for a short while. Get bored of it and sell it to buy another.

Anyway I check out Rokons site and am in shock the things are 8 grand. So there is no way I'm paying that kind of money for a Rokon. I can do it, but jeez I'd feel dumb. I dont know why that guy wants so much. You can about price every part out online or from the hardware store and I can't see more than 2k in parts sitting there

So now im looking at TW's. The one place I want this thing to work is snaking through the woods and over Muskeg. I probably would need to do that fat front tire mod. That looks like a pain. There is a bigwheel 350 for sale up here and I'm thinking of that. I dont really need the road legal feature. That being said I bet I would like it.

Well I guess I'll get back to videos and pics!

Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

I'm a big Rokon fan too but I could never justify the price of a new one, and affordable used ones are more scarce than an honest politician. So I started searching for a used TW instead. I really wanted an older one but I ended up finding a 2017 with low miles and a few nice accessories. I just picked it up today and I can't wait to get out on the trails.
    The paperwork that the seller provided shows that his dealer did the first service at about 500 miles. They pretty much just did an oil and filter change, lubed and adjusted the chain, and inspected everything else. What the paperwork didn't show was a valve adjustment. Shouldn't a first service have included a valve adjustment? It's got about 900 miles on it now. Should I bring it in for a valve check? Is there anything else that needs checking at this point?
    I appreciate any input.
    Tweaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedcoolname View Post
    I'm a big Rokon fan too but I could never justify the price of a new one, and affordable used ones are more scarce than an honest politician. So I started searching for a used TW instead. I really wanted an older one but I ended up finding a 2017 with low miles and a few nice accessories. I just picked it up today and I can't wait to get out on the trails.
    The paperwork that the seller provided shows that his dealer did the first service at about 500 miles. They pretty much just did an oil and filter change, lubed and adjusted the chain, and inspected everything else. What the paperwork didn't show was a valve adjustment. Shouldn't a first service have included a valve adjustment? It's got about 900 miles on it now. Should I bring it in for a valve check? Is there anything else that needs checking at this point?
    I appreciate any input.
    I would have the valves checked or check them yourself, it's easy and good insurance. Mine were way loose out of the box at 500, your experience may vary but it's well worth the quick look.
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

And congratulations on the new bike!
    Tweaker likes this.
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010