New member introduction:
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New member introduction:

New member introduction:

Hello,

My name is Christian and I have been lurking for a couple of weeks. I am hoping to join the ranks of TW ownership as soon as I find the right one. I am very particular about the machines I purchase, and have been known to take several months to find the "right" one. Hopefully it happens sooner than later as I can't get the TW-200 out of my head!

I have been around motorcycles my entire life, started out riding on my mothers Honda Trail 70. Took a hiatus from riding for about 10 years and recently decided to get back into it. Last year I picked up a really nice 1975 CT-90, and I have had some fun cruising around town with that. A few weeks ago I discovered the TW-200 and really like the styling of the bike, along with the fact that it hasn't changed much since its 1987 introduction. I think the TW will address the shortcomings of my Trail 90. As much as I love it, it seems a bit too anemic and kind of unsafe riding in traffic around where I live. Since I live in a pretty urbanized location (SF Bay Area) the TW will probably spend 90% of its time on the pavement.

I have been on the fence between getting a new TW or a used one. Quickly realized a new one was out of the picture when I visited a dealer and a $4599 MSRP bike quickly approached $6K out the door with their markup, setup fees, and taxes.

I really love the thought of something like a '94 or a '96 with the interesting colors and graphics. But they are tough to find locally, and then living in CA I realized a nice '94 I found is not CA legal and is a 49 state bike so that is a problem. Also would prefer to have something that wont need things like new tires, carb work, etc- so I am leaning now towards a newer used low miles bike. It seems like retrofitting a kick starter shouldn't be too difficult either.

Yesterday I discovered a 2018 for sale about 3 hours away that only has 385 miles, and the guy wants $3500 for it. I plan on contacting him this week and if he still has it checking it out this weekend.

Anyways, heres a photo of my current stable. Hopefully I can make a new thread soon about my first TW!

(guess I cant post pics till I have more posts. I will post once I can!)

-Christian
    admiral, Purple, Peterb and 2 others like this.
    1999 Yamaha TW-200
    1975 Honda Trail 90

Welcome!
    Purple likes this.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

Welcome to the forum and here's hoping you find the right TW sooner than later.
    Purple likes this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome from WI. Good deals can take some time to find so its good you are patient.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 10K miles, decent condition
    04 in great condition

Hi Christian, welcome to the forum!

Where in the Bay area are you located? Let me know if you have any questions or need additional information regarding TW's. I will probably be scheduling another Wrench & Ride if it ever cools off around here, so you'll have a chance to meet up with some fellow NorCal Nutjobs.

Brian

I hope you find the bike you're looking for! There isn't much of a used market where I'm at. Is the dealer markup an industry wide thing or more of a southern California thing?

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Hi Christian, welcome to the forum!

Where in the Bay area are you located? Let me know if you have any questions or need additional information regarding TW's. I will probably be scheduling another Wrench & Ride if it ever cools off around here, so you'll have a chance to meet up with some fellow NorCal Nutjobs.

Brian
    Thank you for all the warm welcomes everyone!

I am located in Alameda, CA. Would definitely be interested in meeting up some other enthusiasts and getting involved in some group trail rides once I pick one up! (or in the interim I can play with my Trail 90 if thats allowed lol)
    Last edited by S52; 07-30-2018 at 07:25 PM.
    1999 Yamaha TW-200
    1975 Honda Trail 90

Quote Originally Posted by Idon'thaveoneyet... View Post
    I hope you find the bike you're looking for! There isn't much of a used market where I'm at. Is the dealer markup an industry wide thing or more of a southern California thing?
    From the dealers I have researched here in Northern California it seems common for the dealer markup to be in the range of 400-600. It seems to be a CA thing, as I recall reading a thread that CA is one of the more expensive states to pickup a new TW in.

No problems with me, as along with my vehicles I prefer to buy slightly used and let someone else eat the depreciation off the lot!
    1999 Yamaha TW-200
    1975 Honda Trail 90

Well, I think I might be the guy to eat the deprecation... but I'll probably never sell, so that's ok!

Finally racked up enough posts I think... heres a photo of the current stable as promised:

Elvesus, Dryden-Tdub and Mel like this.
    1999 Yamaha TW-200
    1975 Honda Trail 90

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links