Just caught the fever
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Just caught the fever

Just caught the fever

I've never been a motorcycle guy, but I saw a 2013 tw for sale. Holy cow, what a classic looking bike! So I argued with my wife for a bit... I still don't have one. There isn't much of a used market where I'm at so I'm hoping there isn't a big markup on the ~$4.6k price tag. But I'll probably spend it anyway when the time comes.
    Trail Woman, Peterb, Darth and 3 others like this.

I missread. Thought the title was "Just caught the lever"....I bent my shifter and brake levers too many times. I like your post better.

I thought the same thing and bought one new, but after watching listings for months I've now seen a hand full of them for sale locally on kijiji. If I new this then I might have waited and saved myself a thousand or two. But knowing the bikes history is all mine helps me to justify it.

I'm with Trail Woman on that. I bought mine new because I plan on riding it until I, or it, dies dead. And I get to customize it to my liking, not a previous owners. And the history is all mine. Besides the 2018 Black and Tan looks great with the northern Nevada landscape. From hi-desert to glacial mountains.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It's kind of like getting a pet dog. You can buy a nice new puppy and then you get to train it the way you want the dog to turn out. This can be a very rewarding plan and if you feed the puppy well and show it lots of love and training you can be very proud. On the other hand you can find a similar dog used and rescue it. This comes with some issues already built in and you never really know what the early life was but once again, if you feed it well and show lots of love there is great rewards if all works out well.

Used TWs that were not hammered or mistreated and don't have lots of hard miles on them are often a good choice if priced right. New ones from decent dealers who don't hose you with all the BS fees are a great bargain and as stated, you get to do it all right from the beginning and know the complete history. I have never owned a brand new TW but have bought and sold some very nice and very low mile ones as well as rescued a few that were well used and highly abused. I have this advice to offer. Well used and abused TW's can be brought back to life but it gets real expensive real fast if you want it to be a real nice and pretty bike. If your plan is to have a good looking and great running TW then go for new or very well kept low mile bike. If what you want is just a bike to do some pounding on and don't much care how nice it looks then there are real bargains to be found in the used market. Your ability to assess the real condition of any used bike is the key here. Go with a plan and complete understanding of what will be needed to make the used TW work for you. Tires, chains, sprockets, carbs, tanks and all the other parts do add up quick. If you are not mechanically inclined then stay away from project TWs. Finding friends or shops to make repairs is not as easy or cheap as you may think. I found a decent 1988 for $500 and by the time I had it back to dependable I had well over $1500 in it.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Well IDONTHAVEONEYET...at least you're on the right track! Maybe post up where you are located and another member might be helpful in steering you to something that's out there just waiting for you.
    Badgerflorida and Darth like this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

That is a great analogy. When reflecting about myself and my own abilities I think I would rather buy a new tw200 and rescue a dog (or two... and a cat). I live in a fairly rural area without much of a used cycle community and I haven't found a riding community yet. This will be my 1st bike, I don't feel I have enough knowledge to examine a bike for a few minutes in someone's driveway and get a real assessment of the bike. I don't planning on riding hard or fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Idon'thaveoneyet... View Post
    That is a great analogy. When reflecting about myself and my own abilities I think I would rather buy a new tw200 and rescue a dog (or two... and a cat). I live in a fairly rural area without much of a used cycle community and I haven't found a riding community yet. This will be my 1st bike, I don't feel I have enough knowledge to examine a bike for a few minutes in someone's driveway and get a real assessment of the bike. I don't planning on riding hard or fast.

I am a man with few words and even fewer thoughts but your title inspired me to help you. This picture is all I can do. The rest is up to you.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Gee Admiral, great photo and caption. Good enough for a T-Shirt or a Yamaha ad campaign.
    Good luck, Idon'thaveoneyet. Save your oney for a new or used TW. Whatever you spend the memory of the cost will soon be replaced with fun riding memories.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Gee Admiral, great photo and caption. Good enough for a T-Shirt or a Yamaha ad campaign.
    Good luck, Idon'thaveoneyet. Save your oney for a new or used TW. Whatever you spend the memory of the cost will soon be replaced with fun riding memories.
    Roger that. Well said Sir.
    admiral and Darth like this.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I am a man with few words and even fewer thoughts but your title inspired me to help you. This picture is all I can do. The rest is up to you.

I want that on a FLAG and a T-Shirt. I’m serious that is an excellent picture. I want to fly it at Green Ridge next year
    admiral and Darth like this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links