Helmet?
Close
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Helmet?

I’m 65 yrs old and have been riding since I was 12 so I’m not a rookie at riding but when it comes to protective gear I’ve never used much. I’ve always had at least one road bike and a dirt bike (or dual sport bike) but the only helmets I’ve used have been open face. The one I use both on and off road right now is an older Bell Magnum.

I’ve been lucky that I haven’t gotten hurt worse in three major car/bike accidents I’ve been in. I’ve shattered my elbow and broken many other bones but never hit my face. My trail riding has been many crazy miles with buddies trying to outride each other and some competition hare scrambles. Lots of crashes but luckily not many more broken bones. I think it’s time to look at a couple of full face helmets. One for trails and one for the road. At my age I’m not a hard core dirt rider anymore, and with all the cell phones and texters, the road isn’t very safe anymore either. I think I’ve pushed my luck long enough.

I can’t afford a top of the line D/S helmet but want to get something for TW riding that has good features but is still reasonably priced. There are so many choices it’s easy to be confused. I watched a few review videos at Revzilla that were helpful and they had good things to say about the AFX FX-39 DS for a good value dual sport helmet so that’s one I’m considering. I've got a size 8 round head and they said the AFX is better than some for that shaped head. I also wear glasses.

Sorry for the long lead up to asking you guys what tips you might have to offer. There's probably been a lot of helmet threads but I did a search and didn't find much info....but I probably missed something.

Here's the last time we talked about a FX 39 in here http://tw200forum.co...l-sport-helmet/ I have a FX 39 and it's been demoted to summer use only.

and here are the rest of the helmet threads

https://www.google.c...iw=1680&bih=941

Personally I have tried several ds helmets and dont really like them for the street so I now have 2 HJC, a KBC and SHOEI for street riding and a BELL offroad helmet with goggles. My fiancee has a HJC for street and a FLY offroad helmet.

BTW tb, I have never noticed your profile pic until now. Nicely done.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Well, the helmet you mentioned is a good helmet....the Fly Trekker is the same helmet,just re-badged.also look at GMAX helmets.Their Ds helmet is a GM-11D(or GM-11S?)..usually arounf $110.00.

OR.....you could get a full face street only helmet with a sun shield for those long road rides....EX: HJC makes some pretty reasonably priced helmets...between $150---$180 ish?.AND then, get a MX style helmet and some goggles for DSing?....Fly makes MX style for under $100 easily...Bell makes them,etc,etc,etc,.Glad your still riding!.Any more questions...just post!...we're here.

I was hoping Rich and PSC would post...they always have good info!.

I wear a AFX-39, I like it a lot.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Thanks for the info so far guys. I see the past threads now. I'm not a good searcher I guess.

I'm strongly leaning towards the FX-39/Fly Trekker for a D/S helmet but still looking too. How is it for noise at 60 mph, ventilation, accurate sizing, and room for glasses? I've tried some different brand closed face helmets on at the local shops and it's gonna be quite a switch from an open face but I need to do it. I just have an odd fitting head shape.

I want to get a different helmet for strictly road use. I've been looking at a Bell Revolution EVO. Some say they're noisy at speed tho. I do ride with a windshield so that might not be so much of an issue. Kinda ironical that Michigan just passed the no helmet law and I'm a Harley rider looking for a better one.

*edit* After checking out the threads above and a couple at Adventure Rider forum, most of my questions about the AFX are answered. People seem pretty happy with it for the money. Thanks again.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Glasses? I too wanted the FX-39, and after trying two different sizes, I hated it with my glasses. Here is my review from a previous thread:

"I got the GMAX GM11D. Granted, I'm still a newbie, and I have no seat time with other helmets, but guys here is my 2 cents. I bought my TW recently and borrowed a buddy's extra open face to get in the saddle with. Since then, I have been trying to find myself a good helmet. I thought I was going to get a AFX FX-39. In fact I did, two of them. I really wanted that helmet because I thought it looked cool, it was affordable, it got great reviews, and it seemed to be the "hot" choice. I feel that both the AFX or GMAX are good choices.

I chose the GMAX for these main reasons: 1) I am a glasses wearer, and my riding glasses particularly have thick frame arms. The GMAX allows me to slip them right on and they fit comfortably, while AFX had a slightly higher area in the cheekpads that made my glasses tilt downward, as well as pressing them hard into my head. 2) The visor on the GMAX goes up completely out of your field of vision, while most of these dual sport style helmets have a clearance problem with the peak forcing the visor to be down slightly in it's raised position. 3) Fit. While I got two FX-39s and multiple cheekpads to try to get it to fit "right" I just couldn't find a sweet spot and sent it all back. The GMAX didn't fit perfectly mind you, but close, and without dinking with cheekpads, etc. 4) The FX-39 has a ratcheting clasp on the chin strap, while the GMAX has the traditional double d-rings. Also, I felt like the chinstrap on the AFX was farther back trying to choke me. Your mileage may vary.

After a little seat time, I like it. I've mostly ridden with the visor up, but it is nice to have when you want it. I got mine from Amazon for $103. Thanks!
    "
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

for anyone interested , here's WebBikeWorld.com's review of the AFX-39... i always read what they say about a product before i buy it as they are very thorough. They also come right out and say it if a particular product is crappy, and each review has comments from actual customers of the product at the end.... the reviewer seems to really like this helmet, though...

helmet review

I went the GMAX route and glad I did!

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...t-helmet-solid

There is a video in that link as well to all the features. I bought mine mainy for the street use. But i use it for everything now even my quad when were are required. Love the ability to use goggles and shield. Comes in handy when the trail gets really dusty or someones kicking up dirt. Yesterdat was nice using the shield at higher speeds while it was about 45*f outside. I have 3 other helmets but this is by far the most used!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links