Cyclerack paint poor quality?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Cyclerack paint poor quality?

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach

Cyclerack paint poor quality?

Today I noticed many fairly large spots (the size of a dime or a nickel) on my Cyclerack where the paint has bubbled and come off and the rack has surface rust on it. I thought these things were powdercoated. My rack is maybe 6 or 7 years old, is always cleaned, washed or wet wiped down (and dried) if dirty, waxed occasionally like the rest of the bike, but it lives outside on the coast in a slightly salty environment. It has never been scratched or roughed up, but the paint can't even stand up to the air?
    What a PITA, now I have to sand it down, cover it with a rust converter and either brush up the bare spots or spray the whole thing. Anybody else have a problem with the poor paint job on the Cyclerack? I'd like to take it off and send it back to them to refurbish or replace but I doubt they would be helpful at all. There was no indication of this previously, it happened all of a sudden in multiple spots, so I guess it was brewing for a long time 'till the rust popped through the crapped out paint. If any of you have repainted yours, what did you use for better protection?
    Last edited by mrlmd; 08-08-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Send some pics to the boys at Cyclerack, I'll bet that they will take care of you.

Like Brian said. Don and Marc are good people and want to keep customers for life, hence the lifetime guarantee. Go on the website and there is a link to contact them. Send them a message explaining what's wrong and leave a callback #. If it's on a weekday, they'll likely get ahold of you within that week. I left them a message on a Friday and Don called me on Saturday. Worth the effort.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like a good idea, I will contact them tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

It is very possible they had a run of poor paint or powder coating or even some change in the base coat they used that is not adhering like it should. I think we all have seen cars and trucks that have all sorts of bare spots where the paint is just blowing off for no apparent reason other than something in the paint prep process. CR is a premier product for us and I am sure they will remedy this situation if you contact them. I had to dump my favorite F-250 super duty pick up with the 7.3 diesel engine because Ford used cheap Chinese steel for the oil pan that rotted through in just four years. The cost to replace the pan was upwards of $4,000 because the entire engine had to be removed and the killer was they would install the same junk pan because that is all they had available to replace it with. Imagine that! A $75.00 part would cost $4K to replace and there just was no other better pan to install. I will never own another Ford because of this failure and Ford's complete refusal to warranty their junk that they were very well aware of and even put out a service warning bulletin depicting how to re paint the pans before they rotted through.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I contacted them yesterday via email and heard back and was told they would replace it if I pay the cost of shipping, so we'll see what happens and how much that costs. I have a dozen pics I sent them of where the paint has failed all over the rack, if anyone's interested. They said these are guaranteed for life, and that should include powdercoated paint too. I'll let you know what happens.
    Purple likes this.

A free new rack for the price of shipping. Helluva deal. 30 bucks well spent.

After sending them a dozen pics and then emailing them again, I have not heard back from them in 3 days. So I guess I'll have to call them and see what's happening.

CR is a Father and Son side business and I believe the son has a full time job elsewhere. They are not big on email but the dad usually does answer the phone and is a pleasure to talk to. You did say that they said "Send it back and they will either fix or replace it". What more need be said?

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

In the email back to me they wanted to see pics, so I sent them a dozen and have not heard back from them, which was surprising. They answered my original email within one day, and they did not say, "send it back and they would fix or replace it" - I asked them if I needed to do that when I sent the pics, and never heard from them. Like I said above, I was told they would replace it for the cost of shipping. I do not know if and when that will be, or how much it will cost me., so if my emails are not answered, I have to call them.
    Although my email client says the email was sent, without a response from them I have no idea if they ever received it or looked at it, so I have to call. OK? Why is this so hard?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links