Finally found one! (1999 TW200)
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Finally found one! (1999 TW200)

Finally found one! (1999 TW200)

Greetings,

Happy to report after a couple of months on the hunt, I finally found the one!

Just got home from a 7 hour round trip drive picking up a minty 1999 TW-200. Only has 799 Miles, and spent an easy life as a garage queen. Fortunately she was only run with ethanol free gas, and had a recent tune up prior to the sale. Really stoked to have found a nice survivor bike with the kickstarter (and the awesome 90's graphics!). Even though I'm missing out on the disk brake, I knew the kicker was a definite feature I would want to have.

Its completely stock, except for the chain and sprockets which the previous owner swapped out to gear it down for trail/ hunting use. He said it tops out around 55mph as is. Also included the stock chain/ sprocket. I'm going to ride it as is for now and decide later if I want to revert it to stock gearing.

I am very excited to her out for her first proper ride tomorrow.

A couple of quick beginner questions:

I tried to back out the screw on top of the head to verify oil was flowing properly. It wasn't budging and I didn't want to strip it out. Any secrets to getting it free? I'm thinking maybe spray it down with some penetrating oil. Looked like it may have been a while since it was ever backed off.

Its still wrapped in the factory Trail Wing (Death Wing?) tires. I have read the posts about these being sketchy. This bike will likely spend 90% of its time on the pavement, so will the death wings be ok for now or should I plan on replacing them ASAP.?

The idle also seems a bit high... but I am new to these bikes so I could be wrong. Do any of you run digital tachometers? If so is there one you might recommend?

Best website to order parts like oil filters, o rings, seals, etc...?

Anyways, on to the pictures!:

1999 Yamaha TW-200
    1975 Honda Trail 90

Nice find. I hope you enjoy it.
    S52 likes this.

Just like mine. Except mine is missing the Electric sticker. The tires are probably cured out pretty good and should be replaced. I'm running a 241 on the front of mine.
    Miaugi and S52 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The tires are nearly 20 years old and should be replaced ASAP. If your TW will be used 90% on pavement I would recommend a gearing change sooner than later. First gear in you current configuration is going to be all but useless on pavement. Swap that 55 for a 47 and be done with it. My guess is that you could sell your 55 tooth on here for $15 bucks or so. I am only offering these suggestions based on your best guesses for it's intended use. I hope this helps. Nice find. Enjoy.

Tom
    Darth, Gulfrider, GaryL and 4 others like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Congrats on the new bike! That's a really nice one, I like that color scheme.

I wouldn't worry about the bleed bolt too much right now. There is a good chance that it is still factory tightened. Did the previous owner mention whether he had changed the oil recently, or at all? Before trying to force it, I'd suggest taking it for short ride of about 10 minutes, which should be long enough to get the aluminum head heated up, but not to full operating temperature and then see if you can get that bolt to crack free. Use a short six-sided closed end wrench, not a screwdriver.

Likewise for the tires. You should be fine for some sensible road riding, but that rubber is almost 20 years old and is probably pretty hard. Once you decide for sure the type of riding that you want to do, then you should consider some new rubber that will best meet those needs.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodieseli4i6 View Post
    Just like mine. Except mine is missing the Electric sticker. The tires are probably cured out pretty good and should be replaced. I'm running a 241 on the front of mine.
    Thats what I was thinking. I will read up on some tire threads and get them swapped out.
    1999 Yamaha TW-200
    1975 Honda Trail 90

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    The tires are nearly 20 years old and should be replaced ASAP. If your TW will be used 90% on pavement I would recommend a gearing change sooner than later. First gear in you current configuration is going to be all but useless on pavement. Swap that 55 for a 47 and be done with it. My guess is that you could sell your 55 tooth on here for $15 bucks or so. I am only offering these suggestions based on your best guesses for it's intended use. I hope this helps. Nice find. Enjoy.

Tom
    Yep, new tires are definitely on my short list. And as for the gearing I agree. I think I would be willing to sacrifice the low end torque for higher cruising speeds.
    1999 Yamaha TW-200
    1975 Honda Trail 90

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Congrats on the new bike! That's a really nice one, I like that color scheme.

I wouldn't worry about the bleed bolt too much right now. There is a good chance that it is still factory tightened. Did the previous owner mention whether he had changed the oil recently, or at all? Before trying to force it, I'd suggest taking it for short ride of about 10 minutes, which should be long enough to get the aluminum head heated up, but not to full operating temperature and then see if you can get that bolt to crack free. Use a short six-sided closed end wrench, not a screwdriver.

Likewise for the tires. You should be fine for some sensible road riding, but that rubber is almost 20 years old and is probably pretty hard. Once you decide for sure the type of riding that you want to do, then you should consider some new rubber that will best meet those needs.
    Thanks for mentioning using a wrench on that screw... in all my excitement I hadnt even realized that it could be loosened with two types of tools...
    1999 Yamaha TW-200
    1975 Honda Trail 90

Thought of another strange thing about this bike. It came with 2 titles. 1 is for the license plates (thus making it street legal) The other title is with regard to the Off Highway use Green sticker (California).

Does that sound right? The PO told me that it needed the green stickers for off road trail use... but my understanding has always been that a street legal bike with plates is always allowed off highway- thus not needing the green sticker.

Any other California guys here able to clear that one up for me?

-Christian
    1999 Yamaha TW-200
    1975 Honda Trail 90

Quote Originally Posted by S52 View Post
    Thought of another strange thing about this bike. It came with 2 titles. 1 is for the license plates (thus making it street legal) The other title is with regard to the Off Highway use Green sticker (California).

Does that sound right? The PO told me that it needed the green stickers for off road trail use... but my understanding has always been that a street legal bike with plates is always allowed off highway- thus not needing the green sticker.

Any other California guys here able to clear that one up for me?

-Christian
    Hi Christian,

The two titles are what is called dual registration here is California. It is typically used when you take an off-road vehicle and get it plated for street use, then the DMV requires that you maintain both the off-road and on-road registration, i.e., more revenue for the state.

The previous owner is wrong. Since the TW is sold as a street legal bike, it does not need a green sticker to be used off-road.

Here is what I have done in the past and would suggest that you do also. When you go to transfer the titles, renew the registration for the street legal one, but put the off-road one on non-operation. This non-op status will cost about $20, but does not require annual renewals.

Brian
    bad luck and S52 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links