First flat
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First flat

Had my first flat tonight, must have been a locust thorn under the snow, luckily I was back at the house when it went flat. I need to decide what to carry on the bike for an air supply, I can't decide between a hand pump or a gutted slime 12v compressor. I was also wondering what you guys carry for tire patches the ones I bought at the parts store don't seem to good. The tire tool I welded the rachet head to seemed to work good, and the sockets didn't get in the way.[img]<a%20href=[/img]">[img]<a%20href=[/img]">[img]<a%20href=[/img]">[img]<a%20href=[/img]">

Use the fix-a-flat stuff. It's worth a try. I hate fixin motorcycle flats.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwizard View Post
    Use the fix-a-flat stuff. It's worth a try. I hate fixin motorcycle flats.

Have you had good luck with Fix-a-Flat in MC tube tires?

It just seems so much quicker and easier than the whole trailside tire removal and inner tube patch/replacement routine, you'd think there would have to be a downside!

Has anybody else been taking Fix-a-Flat along for the ride instead of tire spoons and that whole kit?
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I put ride-on in my tires. It tells you how much to put in and balances itself. Havent had a flat since but I cant say if its the ride-on or luck.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    Has anybody else been taking Fix-a-Flat along for the ride instead of tire spoons and that whole kit?

I do, but luckily I haven't had to find out if it works or not....

Apparently there are two varieties of Fix-a-Flat, one for tubes and one for tubeless.

My take is that it may work well enough to get you home, but then you have to replace the tube.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Here is my testimonial about using RideOn. I got a flat front tire on my TW200 from a thorn puncture a few months ago. I was camped out in a remote locaton and drove my bike about 1 mile back to camp on the flat tire. Fortunately, the flat occurred on the same day I had planned to return home so I decided to fix it later. I returned home and got some RideOn to put in the tires. I did not take the tire off and fix it. I just put RideOn in the tire. Before I installed the RideOn, the front tire would go flat in about 15 minutes. After I installed RideOn, I drove the bike around the block a couple times. At first, the tire slowly began to leak less. I aired up the tire a few more times and drove the bike some more then after about 30 miles, presto flat fixed the easy way!

Here is a video showing how RideOn works. https://www.youtube....h?v=2mid3XqDlyk Nice to know your tires can take a 9mm pistol round and not go flat. Now that's reliability!

Here is a demo using RideOn in a motorcycle tire https://www.youtube....h?v=4tQ6hFqifE8 The recommeded dosage of RideOn for a TW200 with stock tires is 8 ounces in the front and 12 ounces in the back. The dosage chart (based on tire size) is found on the RideOn website.

Moral of the story: Put RideOn in your tires and don't worry about punctures.

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    Have you had good luck with Fix-a-Flat in MC tube tires?

It just seems so much quicker and easier than the whole trailside tire removal and inner tube patch/replacement routine, you'd think there would have to be a downside!

Never used it in a tube; but had good results with tubeless. The tire guys hate it when they have to change the tire. I am definitely going to have to try out the Ride-On. I wonder if I need to take the wheel weights off?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwizard View Post
    I am definitely going to have to try out the Ride-On. I wonder if I need to take the wheel weights off?

Here is another demo about balancing tires with RideOn. This guy tries RideON with and without wheel weights. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=YqkBfEHYzxw

I just put a bottle of ride-on in each tire and called it good. Still carry the small slime compressor because do like to air up and down for pavement/dirt. Bringing tools/tubes/patch kit looks like a big hassle and not sure if could fix the rear anyway on the trail.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Since we have totally derailed Howard's thread I have a question about Ride-On for all of you that use it:

Does it cause a problem with plugging up the valve stem when you air down? It seems like it would. (In general it seems too good to be true.)

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links