New Hampshire to Newfoundland
Close

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Twfox

Thread: New Hampshire to Newfoundland

New Hampshire to Newfoundland

So, I just got back from this year's vacation. I drove my 2017 tw from southern New Hampshire to Gros Morne National Park in Newfoundland. I have to say the TW did fantastic. Before the trip I regeared her with a 15t front sprocket and a 47t rear sprocket. There was a huge amount of high speed riding this trip, but the TW handled it well. Over the 2500 miles I traveled I only used A bit under a quart of oil and had to adjust my xring chain once. I will say I had to downshift a bit on the larger hills and ear plugs were a must. I also killed the stock front tire but a crazy expensive Harley tire worked just fine to finish out the trip. My 2017 tw now has just over 8k on the odometer lol. Sorry no pictures, too busy riding. Just wanted to post this in case anyone doubts the tw's ability to do a long trip. Have fun riding guys.
    Peterb, Fred, TopPredator and 2 others like this.

Interesting, but hard to believe there are not some photos ?
    What route did you take ?
    Ride long & prosper

I've got the 47t on the rear and I'm just about to change the front to 15t. Did you replace the gasket at the same time or reuse the existing one?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

been using ear plugs since about my 3rd year of riding, kind of a holdover from military days around jets
    2005 Tdub

Quote Originally Posted by talon125 View Post
    I've got the 47t on the rear and I'm just about to change the front to 15t. Did you replace the gasket at the same time or reuse the existing one?
    I used the same gasket. You will definitely notice a difference going to the 15t front. At first I did not like it, but it is pretty good on the street. 4th ends up being around were 5th is stock and 5th is like having an extra gear. As for the guy above questioning if I really did such a trip; yes I did. I drove from southern NH up to Gorham were a friend lives and we took rt. 2 across Maine, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia. From there we took the ferry to Newfoundland and drove up the coast to Gros Morne. My friend was riding my old xj600, I was on the TW and another of my friends was riding a gz250. A lot of riding was between 65 and 70mph with the TW dropping to 4th and generally holding 55-60mph on long hills. It was certainly hard on the bike, and my valves are currently in dire need of an adjustment. The bike overheated once on a really crappy mountain pass but it made it. If I had gone a tad slower I am sure the bike would have appreciated it, but I got sick of nagging my friends, reminding them to slow down so I just thrashed on the bike the whole trip. I stacked 2 mad dog seat covers on the bike and that helped a lot with comfort, but obviously it was not a really comfortable ride.
    Last edited by Twfox; 08-27-2018 at 03:40 PM.

Sponosred Links