Other than looking awesome...
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Other than looking awesome...

Other than looking awesome...

... what is the idea behind the larger rear tire? I hadn't wanted a bike until I saw a used tw200 on craigslist. The look of the bike really stirred something up. I don't care to go to fast, so the top end isn't an issue. Now that I've got the bug I'm just wondering if this awesome bike is right for me. So yeah... what is the deal with the rear tire? I mean, I'm going to get one anyway, but still...

Wide tires are less likely to dig a deep rut in sand, mud, soft ground etc. They also absorb some of the rough ride to compensate for the short suspension travel. And they're fun to drift and bounce around on!

On the negative side they don't take fast turns as sharp on loose ground as a skinnier tire.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 08-30-2018 at 02:20 PM.

I feel bad for all the other bikes, with the tire envy and all. You should probably stay away from the threads about ATV tires on trailer rims and big wheel front end conversions.
    Donzo and Tweaker like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 10K miles, decent condition
    04 in great condition

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It's called Traction! More rubber on the pavement and especially in the dirt equals much better grip. The only place I have found the fat tire to be a disadvantage other than it 's weight is if I want to do donuts in loose gravel. That fat tire just grips too well and will toss you right off.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I strongly disagree with Gary here....off road a wider tire distributes weight over a larger surface reducing traction while a skinnier tire will cut like an ice skate. Both tires drift on gravel at high speed. If there is any reason to have difficulty doing donuts, it the lack of immediate torgue, but if you drop your clutch it will break traction like a more powerful bike.

In other words the motor gearing also contributes to the traction by not breaking it as easily as a motocross bike.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 08-30-2018 at 03:12 PM.
    Old n dirty likes this.

Bigger is always better, especially if you intend to take things slowly and enjoy yourself ...
    Miaugi, Mel, plumbstraight and 2 others like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I think the idea behind the wide rear tire is it buys you a wide rim so you can put an even wider ATV tire on.
    I have two TWs, one with stock tire and one with an ATV tire.
    The ATV tire equiped TW will definetly go places the stock tire bike will either struglge with, or be incapable of going. Amazing improvement in traction.
    An ATV tire like the Duro PowerGrip excels in loose blow sand of the desert southwest, snow either powder, firm or slush as well as mud of most consistencies that I have encountered. Wider floats a bit in the loose stuff and there is no comparison when it comes to a steep loose hillclimb. There have been places recently where a normal sized tired 250cc dual sport bike could not follow me up loose hills.

As far as the stock wide rear tire I bought my first TW due to the lighter impact it's wide tire afforded patrolling my property compared to my knobby enduro bikes.
    TWs tread lightly, it can creep gently over soft terrain leaving hardly a trace where conventional a MX type bike would typically dig a trench.
    I once did a informal study hoping to refute a Sierra Club claim as to the tonnage of soil displaced per mile by a conventional roosting dirt bike. Unfortunately I could not, the numbers were scary. Indeed our sport can be very hard on the environment when we ride irresponsibly.
    My choice of a TW was an attempt to minimize my impact in a sport I love. I have several many year old trails on my property made and maintained entirely by TW that resemble little more than deer trails. The TW can tread lightly and ridden carefully can actually help fill in ruts made by roosting thin knobbies.

Besides, a wide rear tire just looks cool.
    Last edited by Fred; 08-31-2018 at 01:37 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

No one is wrong here, it just depends on where and what conditions you normally ride in.
    I like the wider rear stock tire on the TW in sand.
    I like the much thinner but much more aggressive Pirelli Scorpions on my XR in the dirt.

Rock, not much of the type of riding, at least for me out east. Gravel... either is fine though the TW rear is probably less stressful.
    That may be because the bike itself is so squat and short?

Neither is the greatest on the street but it'll get you there. The TW rear will help with comfort vs. the squishy suspension.

IMG_6869 copy.JPG

Scorpion 486 "Hard".
    IMG_6767 copy.jpg
    admiral likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    I strongly disagree with Gary here....off road a wider tire distributes weight over a larger surface reducing traction while a skinnier tire will cut like an ice skate. Both tires drift on gravel at high speed. If there is any reason to have difficulty doing donuts, it the lack of immediate torgue, but if you drop your clutch it will break traction like a more powerful bike.

In other words the motor gearing also contributes to the traction by not breaking it as easily as a motocross bike.
    Disagreement is fine but tell me how many here have attempted to reduce the rear tire size verses those who have increased it with even larger ATV type tires? Certainly our fat bottom girls are not just for the looks.

GaryL
    sibyrnes and Donzo like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Disagreement is fine but tell me how many here have attempted to reduce the rear tire size verses those who have increased it with even larger ATV type tires? Certainly our fat bottom girls are not just for the looks.

GaryL
    Right. I have never heard of anyone reducing the size of their tires to improve traction on any off road vehicle. A larger surface of contact means more of the tread pattern is digging in and increasing traction.
    i
    Last edited by sibyrnes; 08-31-2018 at 07:00 AM.
    Fred likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links