Soon to be new owner
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Soon to be new owner

Soon to be new owner

I may be the owner of a new TW200 hopefully around the end of November.
    I'm a senior citizen and this one will be my first manual shift bike.

While I like the bike a lot, I hesitate on pulling the trigger because of the carburetor. I haven't had a carbureted vehicle in more than 40 years and from what I can remember they were a pain in the butt to keep in tune. I must assume they have not gotten any better after the advent of FI. The bike will never leave sea level (SoCal) and after being broken in and hopefully having learned manual shifting without hurting myself, it will be ridden once or twice a month for the occasional trip up the Coast. Maybe some of you gentlemen can give me some insight about the reliability/performance of the carburetor under the above described conditions.
    I'm really trying not to own something that needs constant tweaking. I've looked at the XT250 but it's a bit too tall. thank you for your help.
    admiral and Ken like this.

Welcome to the forum. Carbs can be more finickier than FI but keep ethanol gas away from it and do the regular maintenance and it’s not as bad as you’d think. Buying a new one and being in SoCal would put you miles ahead of those of us who bought older bikes that already needed help. Cheers and enjoy whatever you wind up with.
    Ken and admiral like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 10K miles, decent condition
    04 in great condition

I've only owned my TW for a bit more than 2 years. It's a 2006 and used.
    Other than changing the oil twice now and filling the fuel tank I have never had to touch the carb.
    Bullet-Proof.

All the other crap and gear/sprocket alchemy stuff I've done is just "farkeling". Bike is fine factory prepped, you just may want to personalize it.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum. I'm also a senior citizen (61) you will not have any problems with the carb( I'm at 3300' above sea level). I have a 2014 that I bought new and have put on 17,500 miles with no problems at all. It's box stock from the factory (yes even the death wing front tire that most members do not like) it wore out at 14,000 miles. Enjoy your new ride.

I try to use non ethanol gas as much as possible and I use Sea Foam on every third tank of gas.
    Peterb, Ken, Miaugi and 1 others like this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Thank you all for your observations, you are very kind. This is probably a stupid question but how do I avoid Ethanol gas? I live in SoCal so you can rest assured that we have Ethanol in our gas. Thanks again.

I understand why, but you are overthinking this. This motorcycle is solid as a rock. If you are riding on the road more than the day you may want to get a more Road style tire for it. You will want to change the hearing to make it a little taller also. Also riding on the road you will be covering miles. While the PW get exceptional fuel economy I feel you may want to go gas tank. Clark makes one right on. I've had a lot of motorcycles that were bigger faster and better-looking. But I can't say I had more fun on any of them and I have my TW. If it's possible to buy fuel without ethanol do it. I have never been able to find it. The only time my 200 gets fuel without ethanol is when I have race fuel and it can left Yamaha Jet's V bikes. I can't say I've ever had issue with that Nation using a low-grade regular fuel at the pump from the weekend racing my motocross bike. As lean as Yamaha set Steve's Bike Shop. I can't say I've ever had issue with detonation burning the cheapest low-grade fuel I find at the pump
    Last edited by Maxpower; 09-14-2018 at 12:39 AM.
    admiral likes this.
    87 TW

Welcome to the forum from Canada and I wish you luck on finding the right bike at the right price. As for age no problem I'm sure you have lot's of company here, I'll be 64 in 2 weeks but to me it's just a number because you don't have to drill down very deep to see I'm just a kid in a slightly worn body!
    Peterb, admiral and Elvesus like this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

If you can't find ethanol-free it's no big deal. I try to keep a tankful in small engine stuff during of-season like the lawn mower and snowblower but thats about it.
    Probably an hour+ from the nearest gas station that offers it by me.
    Envy those that have them nearby but that's reality. Best thing you can do is "USE" your bike, don't let the fuel sit in there and start disintegrating itself and rubbery/plastic parts and gaskets.

Can use Seafoam or Stabil or any other of the myriad of fuel stabilizers out there if it makes you fell better. But if you use/burn the fuel in the tank it should not matter at all.
    A simple machine for simple-super fun.

Here's (below link) one of the many websites that find ethanol-free service stations nationwide on the web. Just choose the name of your State. If nothing is listed by you believe me, no big deal.
    https://www.pure-gas.org
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    I may be the owner of a new TW200 hopefully around the end of November.
    I'm a senior citizen and this one will be my first manual shift bike.

While I like the bike a lot, I hesitate on pulling the trigger because of the carburetor. I haven't had a carbureted vehicle in more than 40 years and from what I can remember they were a pain in the butt to keep in tune. I must assume they have not gotten any better after the advent of FI. The bike will never leave sea level (SoCal) and after being broken in and hopefully having learned manual shifting without hurting myself, it will be ridden once or twice a month for the occasional trip up the Coast. Maybe some of you gentlemen can give me some insight about the reliability/performance of the carburetor under the above described conditions.
    I'm really trying not to own something that needs constant tweaking. I've looked at the XT250 but it's a bit too tall. thank you for your help.
    Welcome. I bet the end of November can't come quick enough. I can kind of tell you need to be more creative in your "reasons (excuses)" to ride more than once or twice a month so you won't have to worry about fluoride or ethanol in your gas...tank. For instance: "oh, I think the sun came up" = go ride, "I think I heard a baby cry" = go ride, "I need a half-cup of coffee creamer" yep = go ride. See where I'm going with this. If you ride all the time then the only tweaking you need to do will be to clean your goggles.

Again, welcome and good luck on your upcoming purchase.

P.S. I think I qualify for a discount at McDonald's so I think I could be considered a senior citizen. I've never used the discount though for a couple reasons. One, I don't go to McDonald's very often and two, I forget that I qualify for the discount. The latter I think solidify's my senior citizendom.
    Last edited by admiral; 09-14-2018 at 07:50 AM.
    Elvesus likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links