Refresh my memory?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Refresh my memory?

Refresh my memory?

I first started dirt bikes back in the very early 1960s. I can't recall if Honda ever made a 2 stroke dirt bike. All of my early bikes were all 2 stroke, Hodaka, Bultaco, Penton, CZ, Maiko, & Ossa. All of the Honda's I remember were all 4 stroke but I sure could be wrong and unable to recall any rice burners from Honda.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

The early Honda CRs were 2 strokes. I wanted one bad as a kid, but could only afford a used Yamaha DT100.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

I could not remember either so I had to look it up, back in '73 Honda did start selling the CR250R, but I do not recall ever seeing one but to my credit that would have been 45 years ago and I had just finished high school which I also barely remember! LOL
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I was never a Honda guy and can only remember one guy who rode with us had a 250 Elsinore but I just don't remember if it was a 2 or 4 stroke. He sure could smoke all of us but again, we were on 90-125 CC 2 strokes until the Bultaco and Pentons came along. Just about the time I was heading into the USN in 1970 things went wild in the dirt bike field but I had other concerns and pretty much never did get back to the dirt until 20 years later. I really don't know much about the letters CR, CB and all the variations Honda came out with. Trail 90s were a staple here because we lived and rode all around these mountains with other kids from the RV camp grounds in the early to mid 60s.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Honda's First 2 strokes were in 1973 with the CR250 Elsinore followed very close by the Cr125. The sound of one of these in the sand woops (with the right rider) would get your attention.

Quote Originally Posted by 2scoops View Post
    Honda's First 2 strokes were in 1973 with the CR250 Elsinore followed very close by the Cr125. The sound of one of these in the sand woops (with the right rider) would get your attention.
    That's where my memory fades. In 1973 I was in the USN, home on leave and driving a 72 Kawasaki H2 750 triple 2 stroke. The guy with the Elsinore at the sand pit was a big MX rider and far better than all of us who were just cool but casual dirt riders. I did think that Elsinore was a 2 stroke but just couldn't remember. It sure was a very wild bike and way ahead of anything we ever had.

GaryL

In 78 I had the Honda MR 175 Elsinore enduro - 2 stroke.
    Build quality was not there - I ended up breaking the bike in 1/2.
    admiral likes this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

JerseyJeeper, Darth, Fred and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Meeeh...Nothing a little Gorilla Glue can't fix.
    admiral and Purple like this.

My first street legal bike was a 75 Honda 250 Elsinore.I got my license on that bike. Less than a year old and I think I paid $900 for it. Absolutely wicked machine especially after I opened up the backside of the muffler, removed the baffles and welded it back up. Had the gnarliest (not street legal) knobby tire I could get on the back and the thing would go near anywhere until 2nd gear went out. Gave it to my younger brother who fixed it up and ran the hell out of it. Can't remember what happened to it but I wish I still had it. As sweet as it was IMO the bike to have back in those days was the Can Am. A buddy of mine had one, also a 250 two stroker, and that thing was insane. Way ahead of its time. One of the best things about trail bikes back in those days were the reasonably comfy seats the manufacturers put on them.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ythZevutPM-iyF
    Last edited by Dubster; 09-19-2018 at 11:54 AM.
    GaryL, admiral and Ken like this.
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links