Trailering a TW
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Trailering a TW

I have a 6 x 12 flatbed trailer. Do I have to have a front wheel chock to strap down a TW or can I put it upright with straps pulling down on each side? I'm thinking of this for when I go to buy a bike. I'll get a chock before long.

Ive used a utility trailer, and used the side rails to brace front tire against. On a flat bed it could be dangerous to do it that way. One way might be to lean it against the side stand then stap it down tight. MIGHT be ok for a short haul. I would get a chock if possible. Or maybe build one to use just to get the bike home. No truck to load into the bed?

build one out of wood for the time being...if you could get a pickup it would be better

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

No truck. I have a Jeep that I pull the trailer with. I'll either get a chock or make one.
    15hpmini likes this.

For 6 or 7 years I trailer my TW without anything but a front rail (think front of pickup bed) without ever having a problem. This past year, I finally bought one of those front wheel choke thingy-m-bobs. I'm so glad I did. Way better.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I never put my front tire against anything. Two straps on the handlebars to compress the shocks and a strap on each tire to keep it from rolling. Sometimes I put a strap over the tire and one over the rim but it's probably overkill. Better to have too many straps than not enough. I always give the bikes a good shove to make sure they dont move. It is important to have the tires aired up for this or you may have a flat when you pull them off.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

i put the bike on the trailer, strap it down, then screw an 18" 2x4 into the deck on each side of the front tire to keep it from moving, or i strap the tire to the front rail.

Build one out of 2x4's for now. Also, use four tiedowns on all four corners, not just two on the front. The best tiedowns have a lock mechanism on the hook.

Two tiedowns, one bump, slip off the hook, bye bike - and I don't want to be following you when that happens...
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

not ideal but worked just fine from CT to MA but this was in a truck bed...bike in gear, compress front suspension, 1 cam-style strap around the rear wheel across the back to the top tiedown points in the back of the truck bed, 2 cam-style straps to the bars to the top tiedown points in the front of the truck bed (i should have went around the end of the bars instead of closer to the triple clamp since the bark busters would hold it on, i also should have tied the strap above and below the cams just in case)...building chocks on a flat trailer will do just fine

I once laid my TW on its side on the spare tire for the ride home. It wasn't quite flat (but real close) on the truck bed but it was really stable -- absolutely no chance of falling over!
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links