Lazy dealers
Close
    
    
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By peter
  • 3 Post By GaryL
  • 1 Post By Tuber

Thread: Lazy dealers

  1. #1
    Senior Member peter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Providenciales, Turks & Caicos
    Posts
    398

    Lazy dealers

    It is never easy to get spare parts for me as I am living in the Turks & Caicos Islands. But now I really hit a brick wall. I am off to Miami in mid October and need a starter relay assembly ( please not smart a... comments from kick starter owners!!). So I thought I would contact a Yamaha dealer in the Miami to find out if the part is in stock or give them enough time to get it and drive by while I am in Miami and pick it up. So far I contacted Riva Motorsports in Pompano Beach, North Miami Motorsports in Miami’s and Broward Motors in Fort Lauderdale. I always get a computer generated email that someone will be contacting me shortly. But that’s it. I even called the Broward dealer only to be put on hold for ever and then was asked to leave a voice message.
    Anybody on the forum with a reliable dealer in the Miami area?

  2. #2
    Senior Member stagewex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    New Rochelle, New York
    Posts
    1,765
    Can't you just order that on-line and have it delved to you on the islands or at least to where you are staying in Miami?
    Seems like a pretty common item.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

  3. #3
    Senior Member peter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Providenciales, Turks & Caicos
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    Can't you just order that on-line and have it delved to you on the islands or at least to where you are staying in Miami?
    Seems like a pretty common item.
    Sure can get it shipped to the island. $75.00 shipping and 42.5% duty. Could get it shipped to the hotel we will be staying at but we are only 4 days in Florida. If the dealer does not have the part in stock I will be out of luck

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member RaZed1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    283
    Starter relays are generic. They vary in physical shape/size, but they all do the same thing in the same way. In a pinch you could adapt the relay from literally any bike or car to accomplish the job. I had the starter relay off a 2008 ZX-14 doing the same job for my 1997 vmax for years, because the "correct" one cost like $100 from Yamaha and I got the ZX-14 one for $5 used on ebay.

    To really rough it in the meantime, a screwdriver will also accomplish the same job. Or roll the bike at a brisk walk and bump start it.

  6. #5
    Senior Member peter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Providenciales, Turks & Caicos
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by RaZed1 View Post
    Starter relays are generic. They vary in physical shape/size, but they all do the same thing in the same way. In a pinch you could adapt the relay from literally any bike or car to accomplish the job. I had the starter relay off a 2008 ZX-14 doing the same job for my 1997 vmax for years, because the "correct" one cost like $100 from Yamaha and I got the ZX-14 one for $5 used on ebay.

    To really rough it in the meantime, a screwdrive will also accomplish the same job. Or roll the bike at a brisk walk and bump start it.

    Those were my thoughts as well. Got one from Amazon which was listed as compatible for our Tws. Installed, worked for about 2 months and was dead. Switched it forth and back with the original relay from my second bike ....yep, the new relay would not work in any of the bikes but the relay from the original from the second bike worked in both. Ok, maybe I got a bad one from Amazon. Ordered another one with exact the same result. Worked for about 2 month and bang... dead. Went to a mechanic who confirmed. That’s why I would like a OEM relay. Currently I am switched the original about every two weeks from one bike to the other, which obviously is a pain in the butt.
    Fred likes this.

  7. #6
    Senior Member GaryL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Forestburgh, NY
    Posts
    8,041
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    It is never easy to get spare parts for me as I am living in the Turks & Caicos Islands. But now I really hit a brick wall. I am off to Miami in mid October and need a starter relay assembly ( please not smart a... comments from kick starter owners!!). So I thought I would contact a Yamaha dealer in the Miami to find out if the part is in stock or give them enough time to get it and drive by while I am in Miami and pick it up. So far I contacted Riva Motorsports in Pompano Beach, North Miami Motorsports in Miami’s and Broward Motors in Fort Lauderdale. I always get a computer generated email that someone will be contacting me shortly. But that’s it. I even called the Broward dealer only to be put on hold for ever and then was asked to leave a voice message.
    Anybody on the forum with a reliable dealer in the Miami area?
    I have a few different relays here in a box but no clue which ones I have. If you can provide a number from the broken one I will see if I have it.

    GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

    1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

  8. #7
    Senior Member Tuber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    734
    I would just buy one from Babbitts and have it sent to where you are staying in FLA https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oem...-assy-rc19-022

    call the hotel and tell them you are expecting a package and ask then to hold it for you
    Fred likes this.
    2005 Tdub

  9. #8
    Senior Member stagewex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    New Rochelle, New York
    Posts
    1,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuber View Post
    I would just buy one from Babbitts and have it sent to where you are staying in FLA https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oem...-assy-rc19-022

    call the hotel and tell them you are expecting a package and ask then to hold it for you

    Exactly, or just pre-order it from a dealer so it's waiting for you. Seems like a no-brainer.
    Babbits BTW is a great parts source and their website extremely helpful. I'm almost done restoring a pretty beat-up '92 Honda xr250L. They have everything listed and if backordered, they really keep in touch with you regarding status and ETA of your part. Excellent if not better customer service than any other site I've dealt with in the past. Getting
    Last edited by stagewex; 09-29-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

  10. #9
    Senior Member Fred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Turtle Wrangling the Sierras
    Posts
    18,710
    When you say you "contacted" several dealers does this mean via telephone?
    If "yes" did they not answer the phone?
    If "No" try calling them on a telephone to talk to a person. That usually works.
    Few businesses service their e-mail in an efficient way.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

  11. #10
    Senior Member Lyterx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Etters, Pa
    Posts
    474
    I picked one up off ebay and it has worked great now for a few years.
    1991 TW200

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Lazy man's fork boot repair
    By sscooter in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2014, 06:29 PM
  2. Lazy Man's Carb Cleaning Questions
    By Avi Kwame in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-09-2013, 07:06 PM
  3. Dealing with dealers
    By chisleu in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 04:17 PM
  4. Lazy Man's Teikei (TK) Carb Cleaning
    By jbfla in forum Technical Write-Ups
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-08-2010, 10:48 PM