Hitting heel on kickstand?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Hitting heel on kickstand?

Hitting heel on kickstand?

Every now and then when steering with my knees standing, and my toes on the pegs, I squat to preload my suspension and my heel flips down the kickstand which snaps back hard at the top of a jump. It feels like I'm damaging my rear suspension but when I move my feet out on the pegs it doesn't happen. I'm wondering what the best solution might be since I can't seem to break this habit for long and on rare occasion the kickstand stays down long enough to hook on roots of rocks in the path.

Add a spring inside the other spring for stiffer kickstand?

Stiffer MX boots?

Engineering a stop to keep my heel off my kickstand?

Induced pigeon toe posture?

Join the club?

Or all of the above?
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 10-10-2018 at 01:16 PM.
    Ken and Allanb like this.
    Hidden Content
    My T-Dub! Hidden Content
    Youtube Channel Hidden Content

OK so I was conscious of it out riding just now and all was good. I just installed a trailer wheel and ATV tire recently that I'm not fully used to which had me a little distracted.

I'd still like to add an extra spring. Has anyone done this?
    Allanb, Fred and Ken like this.
    Hidden Content
    My T-Dub! Hidden Content

No help on the heel/sidestand issue as I ride with my paws a bit more forward.
    Nice improved look and performance with the new tire though.
    One of the numerous quality tires featuring a Duro-like tread pattern? Seems like it has a higher void ratio than the old Duro Power Grip.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Fred.

The new tire is much better overall but just different enough to take a little bit to get used to. It's an EFX Moto 350 tire. The smaller of Duro power grip type treads.
    Hidden Content
    My T-Dub! Hidden Content

Try sightly pigeon toed at the moment you sit to preload. You do want to keep the balls of your feet centered on the pegs while standing.....moving them outboard more than an inch could be dangerous. I assume you have wider pegs. It could be that your return spring is old and simply replacing it may cure the issue, which I've never had. I forget how old and how many miles your bike has. I would not worry about suspension damage, but having a big clunk at the top of a jump is somewhat disconcerting.
    Trail Woman and Allanb like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Thanks Rocky

I'm the first owner of a 2015 with stock pegs. I should look into wider pegs. I don't mind narrow but out further from the bike would be good. It feels a little weird having your feet out pigeon toed with your knees in tight when standing. I guess I should be more mindful of my overall stance changes instead of trying to use one stance too often.
    Allanb likes this.
    Hidden Content
    My T-Dub! Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    Thanks Rocky
    I'm the first owner of a 2015 with stock pegs. ...
    Yeah, aftermarket pegs will make BIG difference. Try these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are only slightly longer side-wise than stock, but the added front to back width will make it much less likely that your heel will hit the kick stand, as well as giving you a much more solid platform in rough terrain. This is probably why I have not experienced your problem...I swapped them out the day after my bike left the showroom.....three times.

Beware, there are dozens of aftermarket pegs out there that swear they will fit the TW and many of them do not without drilling or grinding. These do.

Oh, and having your knees gripping the tank and your upper body and arms loose will make a huge difference in the bikes stability in rough terrain at speed. The bike's natural stability will tend to return to center, unless you are horsing the bars around. Jeez, I knew this 50 years ago and I still tense up when encountering something I did not expect.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 10-10-2018 at 09:56 PM.
    Trail Woman, Allanb, Ken and 1 others like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Nice...my cart is loaded.

That's all so true. Riding standing gripping the bike with my knees jumping a root, my rear tire tread hooked and twisted the bike and I recovered it like a MX whip move. I was very surprised how quick and easy I corrected my momentum. Plus it is much better on arm pump and grip strain.
    Hidden Content
    My T-Dub! Hidden Content

I only have 1600 miles on my tw, but have never had this happen. Stock pegs and rear wheel. I don't mind the stock pegs, but don't mind the seat either, which everybody dislikes. Maybe with more miles i'll come to dislike em, but ?
    And in last 800 or so miles, I have been standing 1/3 ? of the time.
    admiral, Trail Woman and Peterb like this.

Did it again today snaking up tight single track and preloading suspension to jump a rock. My kickstand flips down and drag up the rock and I feel it pulling the side of my bike a little as I get air. Scarey. Good thing wider pegs are on the way. hopefully they'll help.

When you push the abilities of yourself and the bike chances are you will find the short comings in both. Hopefully you can improve your riding skills and upgrade your bike parts past them. I've never minded the pegs or the seat but since I started preloading the suspension I noticed the kickstand, and maybe the pegs will help. If you're sitting riding on pavement for hours you'll likely find the seat a bit hard. If you jump you'll likely find the suspension soft. I'm working up to upgrading my suspension too.
    Tweaker likes this.
    Hidden Content
    My T-Dub! Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links