New to the TWs
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: New to the TWs

New to the TWs

HI, I have been thinking about buying a TW200. We have miles of back roads and seasonal roads where I live. They look like they would be a lot of fun! I'm not sure if one would be too small for me, I'm 5'11" 260#. I have in the past competed in hare scrambles, enduros and Trials. I currently compete in vintage trials. I'm looking for a simple easy to maintain bike I can putt on the back roads with. I would also like my wife to try it, maybe we would end up with two! What's the pros and cons of the bikes? For a used one what are the better years (if any) to look for? Thanks
    ejfranz, Ken and Tuber like this.

A motor-cross high speed racer they are not. Exploring logging roads and single track trails I think they are awesome. I bought mine specifically for hunting but am morphing into more of an expedition bike use. Don't over pay. You can buy a brand new one for around 4 grand. I've seen some heavily mileage used ones in the high threes. Mine is a 2001 and had 600 miles on it when I picked it up 2 years ago for $2,200.00. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
    ejfranz and Ken like this.

You're not really too tall (bar risers help) but you might find the suspension a little soft. You can upgrade the all springs if you like. One of the best things about a TW aside from fun in the trail is it's very modable.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Oh and I'm a smidge under 6' 3" and used to be about 245. I just added 2" ROX handle bar risers and added a 4.1 gallon xt225 Clarke tank. Bike feels like a completely different beast- for the better.
    Ken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozerash View Post
    HI, I have been thinking about buying a TW200. We have miles of back roads and seasonal roads where I live. They look like they would be a lot of fun! I'm not sure if one would be too small for me, I'm 5'11" 260#. I have in the past competed in hare scrambles, enduros and Trials. I currently compete in vintage trials. I'm looking for a simple easy to maintain bike I can putt on the back roads with. I would also like my wife to try it, maybe we would end up with two! What's the pros and cons of the bikes? For a used one what are the better years (if any) to look for? Thanks
    The TW is 30 year old technology and there is nothing wrong with that! It's made for low and slow... If you're planning on riding more than 50mph most of the time.... I would recommend a bike with more horsepower. Most people's lawn mowers have more horsepower than the TW
    Ken likes this.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

I'm often standing riding slow through technical terrain. Definitely not hard enduro or trials but a fun easier mix of the two.

It really is a simple easy to maintain bike which is part of why I bought it. It's my first, and I'm no mechanic, but I've even adjusted my own valves.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 10-11-2018 at 08:06 PM.

You will enjoy a TW 200 they are a lot of fun to ride. Easy to maintain low cost to operate and a very dependable motorcycle. It's also a great family bike your wife will like it with its low seat height (31.1in.) There are a lot of Pros to the TW I do not have any cons with it at all and I keep my TW factory stock. The wide tires make it sure footed on the trails as well with pavement. Don't be to concerned at the price of a TW these motorcycles hold there value very well. As far as the better years they are all good. Yamaha started making the TW in 1987 and have not changed very much, I think Yamaha added a front disk brake around 1991.I have a 2014 TW200 with 18,000 miles on it and still can't get enough of it. If you have any questions about Your TW once you have one, members on this forum are more than helpful. Enjoy
    Last edited by 2scoops; 10-11-2018 at 08:38 PM.
    Dryden-Tdub and dustherder like this.

I'm 6'2" and 230.
    Perfect no-nonsense/no-frills fun little bike.
    You can make it more serious for dirt or street depending on which way you want to go. But pretty much able to do what you describe right out-of-the-box, really "needs" nothing.
    Of course those are famous last words depending on what "needs" means to you, Ha.
    Trail Woman and Ken like this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

from 2001 on up they are the same except for colors. its a low power putt-around bike good for forest roads and 2 lane back roads. just gotta watch the gas, use no-ethanol fuel if you can get it, and use Seafoam, keeps the carb clean
    Ken and Tweaker like this.
    2005 Tdub

Quote Originally Posted by Dozerash View Post
    I'm 6'2" 220 and love this bike. Bought it back in June and use it on my daily commute (2miles) through my small town. After work I head out for the surrounding forest roads and trails and have a blast. Take it camping with our hitch mount carrier and got my 5'2" wife to ride it. She had never ridden a motorcycle in her life. Regular maintenance is really easy, fast, and inexpensive. It will do 65mph on the highway but its buzzy and trying hard to do that. As long as you know what the bike is then its great. Don't try to make it something its not. The more I ride it the more I love it. Unfortunately I don't see too many used ones that are priced low enough imo. I see a lot of high miles older models for prices nearing 3k, just assume buy a new one for that price. Been thinking of getting my wife to ride this bike and get myself a bigger/faster bike but am not so sure I won't just buy another TW200. They are extremely utilitarian. Moreso than any bike I can think of. Great for hunting, running to the store, camping, daily commute.
    dustherder and cabinetmaker like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links