Well..put the bike away
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Well..put the bike away

Well..put the bike away

Today was the last day of any kind of good weather for me to ride. About 50 but with some rain, next week much colder. 40deg was about the point I would ride in, even when I was a young guy. Rode around my back field a bit, then pulled the battery, dumped the gas tank , added some oil to coat it and put it back together. I will keep the battery in the basement this winter, then just charge it in the spring.
    2005 Tdub

We shoot. Here is SW Utah it is finally cooled down enough to start riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RkyMtnTW, jtomelliott49 and grewen like this.

Yeah it's been snowing and down into the teens. Still I never really put the bikes away. Always a warm day during the winter to get out and ride. Couple years ago we had 60's between X-mas and New Years and I was out on the bike.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

This is the first year I have actually pulled the batteries out of my bikes and officially put them away. I really enjoy trail riding this time of year. If the sun comes out I can get the TW up and running in about 10 minutes. OK this is stupid I'm going out to the garage to put my battery back in.

This has been about the weirdest summer here in the NE that I can remember. I fish a lot more than I ride these days but all spring, summer and fall this year it seems I had one of three choices, it was either 90 in the shade or raining or windy every day I could do anything. The forecast for this winter is just about the same if we can even believe all this High Tech crap they use to do predictions. big snow totals, lots of cold and wind and I could be sitting out in a tree deer hunting and needing mosquito repellent. On a positive note I do have a nice project and my garage shop is always warm or cool and always dry. I fished on days it was predicted to be overcast and 60 with light winds and got soaked and blown off the lake. I had to mow the lawn between rain storms and got my lawn tractor sunk in mud twice needing to winch it out in July. Trying now to decide if the mower comes off and the blower goes on and if it it time to swap to winter wheels and tires on both SUVs. No need to got searching for fire wood this year because the storms dropped plenty right in my yard to keep us warm all winter.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

The only thing I'm putting away is my vented summer jacket.
    Put the liner in my new cold weather jacket, ordered some new pants, and picked up a pair of Oakley riding mittens. Already in the 10's, just waiting on the white stuff.
    Bring it on Frosty Jack!
    admiral and jtomelliott49 like this.
    If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Tuco Juan Ramierez aka "The Rat"
    There's 2 kinds of people in this world, those with guns, and those who dig. You dig. - The Man with No Name

2018 TW200 - LCpl. Rex T. Dubber
    2010 Savage S40 650

I feel for you guys. Last weekend I had to put on a long sleeve t to stay warm.
    admiral, Peterb and jtomelliott49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuber View Post
    Today was the last day of any kind of good weather for me to ride. About 50 but with some rain, next week much colder. 40deg was about the point I would ride in, even when I was a young guy. Rode around my back field a bit, then pulled the battery, dumped the gas tank , added some oil to coat it and put it back together. I will keep the battery in the basement this winter, then just charge it in the spring.
    I winterized myself for riding. I also winterize my TW for riding. Since I'm gonna have more time on my hands this winter, I plan on rigging my TW with "outrigger training wheels" like they put on PW50's so I can ride on snowy and icy roads and not tip over. Going with wheels instead of ski's because sometimes it's not all snow and ice.

I do have a temperature riding limit which is 0 F. degree's. Stay warm my friend.

Even with chains it's a little sketchy riding sometimes. I'm also thinking of a cheap lightweight sidecar for the TW. This way I will have room to take the trash can down to the dumpster. Gotta get my riding in one way or another.

Peterb, Donzo, Mel and 3 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Wow, those are some frosty looking pictures. I ride year round but in an urban or rural environment I won't take any of the 2 wheelers out in the snow. Too much salt.
    3-wheeling.

Tuber, my brother has a home in Shaftsbury/Bennington County. After my next and probably last trip to the Pine Barrens in a couple weeks I'll probably head up there and leave the 2 dual-sports in Vermont. What do you consider good off-road trails and roads up around that area? I know it's a big state so if that is not around where you live don't worry about it.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

If you are gonna be in the Bennington area, you could go right into the Green Mountain forest, near the Somerset Reservoir. lots of gravel roads there, lot of guys ride in there. But this time of year watch out for snow/ice on those roads. We camped there one November and it was a mess getting the bikes out. One guy with a sidecar got out and got a guy with truck and trailer to bring the bikes out
    2005 Tdub

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links