Rear Rack for Safety?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Rear Rack for Safety?

Rear Rack for Safety?

I came across this eBay listing with an interesting product image.

RackAttack.PNG

This is what the listing says about the image:

"In one of the pictures, you'll see that one of our customers was rear ended by a van. The strength of our rack prevented the subframe of the bike from collapsing and believe it or not, this rack was unbolted and subsequently bolted right back on his new bike!"

Is this a well known theory that a rear rack offers some form of protection to the rider?

I am sure that that picture has resulted in a lot of rear rack sales for CycleRacks.

I have owned 5 or 6 CycleRacks but would never consider them as a safety feature. On the contrary, I feel that the protruding, downsloping side rails pose some added risk to the lower leg during a tipover, and can recall one incident where I am sure that my leg would have been broken had I not been wearing very tall and stiff motocross boots.

That being said, I still feel that a CycleRack offers the best value out there for securing and carrying a heavy load on a TW.

No.
    That is what we call that "marketing" which in generally is often unrelated to the truth.

While the subframe may not have "collapsed" in the seller's mind it has certainly buckled and bent up a good 60 degrees since it for sure has not penetrated the van's bumper cladding, the steel bumper itself, and is not imbedded deep in the van's transmission cooler.

The subframe, like the foam in your helmet, or the controlled crush zone built into your car's structure, is a sacrificial element designed to lengthen the time duration of impact thus reducing peak accelerations and subsequent damage to more valuable stuff like your brain. Or in the case of a TW limiting damage to the bike's frame proper.
    Last edited by Fred; 11-17-2018 at 10:08 AM.
    SanDue, Mel, Miaugi and 3 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Wot he said ^^
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Pretty sure I remember when this very incident happened to a member of ours. He was (rather obviously) rear-ended at a stop I think.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    I am sure that that picture has resulted in a lot of rear rack sales for CycleRacks.

I have owned 5 or 6 CycleRacks but would never consider them as a safety feature. On the contrary, I feel that the protruding, downsloping side rails pose some added risk to the lower leg during a tipover, and can recall one incident where I am sure that my leg would have been broken had I not been wearing very tall and stiff motocross boots.

That being said, I still feel that a CycleRack offers the best value out there for securing and carrying a heavy load on a TW.
    i second that Brian. the one and only tip over i've had on the TW and the rack did infact pin my leg to the ground and it wasn't easy getting the bike off of my leg. and saying that, i would buy another Cyclerack
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Greg
    2020 yamaha TW200
    2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom

I think Cycleracks does use that picture in their on-line advertisement. Certainly an extreme example with the bike still standing up at attention.

I can tell you from several falls mostly off road that the rack does protect the bike and it's panels to a point because it sticks out so much. I don't consider it the Volvo of racks because of this.
    My wife fell over 2 Summers ago on pavement. Not going very fast but yeah... the rear rack as well as the front rack and Tusk D-Flex hand guards did save her from more injury than she had (6 stitches). The bike was fine, racks scratched up a bit.
    Tweaker and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

I can say for sure that the front manracks along with barkbusters protects the front turn signals and headlight shroud...
    2015 TW200 with the usual farkles. Powell River, BC, Canada

...and the rear footpegs often help hold a tipped over bike from going even closer to horizontal. This makes picking the bike upright a bit easier.
    Smitty Blackstone and SanDue like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Wouldn't own a cyclerack after hearing of the guillotine effect. My rear rack design repositions the support bar further back lessening the chance for lower leg loss. Very strong triangle design. Has withstood several "Fred's easy rides". Can't get a better testimony then that. It needs a proper name. I think I'll call it the "Heman Rack Support". Ha Dirts a Flyen SanDue
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SanDue; 11-18-2018 at 05:22 PM.
    Mel, Fred, Tweaker and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links