Brand new owner here...but not elated yet.
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Brand new owner here...but not elated yet.

Brand new owner here...but not elated yet.

Just bought a new 2018 as I could not find a used one that I liked. I wish I could say that I'm ecstatic but I'm not. Long story short I cannot shift the thing...and never mind finding Neutral. I can stomp down on the shift lever and jam it into first but going up the gears just does not happen most of the time, on occasion I can get it into second and third but with a lot of force. I know it's not the way it's supposed to be. The dealership sent over a mechanic (good kid) who readjusted the clutch to perfection, stood next to the bike, pulled the clutch and with his right foot shifted seamlessly up and down thru the gears and found Neutral every time. I get on the bike, pull the clutch, shift into first, tried for second and just could not do it no matter how much force I applied, that lever just would not click into second. I am convinced there is nothing wrong with the bike or the mechanic would have trailered it back to the dealership if there was. I cannot think about what I could be doing wrong. I know it's a new bike and things have to break in but a shift lever should move every time you apply up or down pressure. Any of you gentlemen have some suggestions for me? Getting used to the shift lever? As the mechanic very gently suggested? He could tell I was frustrated, hahaha. Thanks for any suggestions.
    littletommy likes this.

Try shifting the bike with the motor off. Put it on a box so the rear tire is off the ground as that is easiest. Then kneel down next to the bike on the shifter side and see if you can shift it. You may need to rotate the rear tire in the forward direction, which is why I recommend putting the bike on a stand so the rear tire is off the ground. You should easily be able to go through the gears with your hand and maybe a little rear tire rotation. Once that's proven to be functional, try sitting on the bike and doing the same thing with your foot. If successful, then start the bike's motor and let it warm up. Repeat trying the shifting by hand, but this time use the clutch with each shift. If that all works, then straddle the bike and try it with your foot. And finally, take the bike off the stand and ride for effect.
    Some bikes are harder shifting until the oil is warmed up.
    Good luck.
    littletommy and philo like this.
    The bear slayer!

Thank you. Gonna have to find a stand but I'll try that.
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome. Have you ridden other motorcycles before or is this your first bike?
    littletommy likes this.

Check this clutch return spring. It should be connected as shown and is often not.

socalnative and Gerry like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I have but a very long time ago, it probably does not count.
    littletommy and socalnative like this.

Yes, the return spring is fine. First thing I checked when i got the bike and it was off so I reinstalled correctly.
    littletommy likes this.

Try pulling in the clutch and rolling the bike slightly forward as you try to shift.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
    Welcome. Have you ridden other motorcycles before or is this your first bike?
    To answer your question a little better: my first and only motorcycle was 50 years ago so consider me a complete novice. Would that make a difference to the functionality of the shift lever?
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Try pulling in the clutch and rolling the bike slightly forward as you try to shift.
    Thank you but maybe I misunderstood you. How am I going to do that while I'm moving, when the motorcycle is moving?
    littletommy likes this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links