Trail riding gear
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Trail riding gear

Trail riding gear

I plan to only use my TW on trails, roads in between them, or cutting into town for lunch. I've never had much of a desire to ride on streets.

So what to you trail guys wear or carry on your outings?
    What tools do you carry? Etc

Haven't rode anything in 12 years 🙂 Thanks!
    2001 TW

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    I recently made a video about my riding gear because I really feel that it is important that people protect themselves. Most of us on tdubs aren’t spring chickens anymore. If you click to watch on the actual YouTube site, I’ve included links to most of the stuff I talk about in the video description box.

Last edited by Leisure Time Larry; 12-07-2018 at 08:57 AM.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Except for a helmet and gloves I wear my hiking clothes and boots…. no extra tools, but brake and clutch handles..

But I always have my hiking day pack with water, food, map, knife, matches, coat, wool hat, paper towels, first aid kit, camera, Spot GPS, phone, sun screen, insect repellent, prescription glacier glasses, altimeter, compass and a 44 Caliber Revolver....I am told by experts that bear spray is safer and more effective than a revolver but I haven't changed yet...

That may sound like a lot..... but it is not …..and I have always have that stuff in my day pack ready to go......so there is no looking for stuff or forgetting it...… I don't have a bee allergy or I would sure have that pen...... I make some
    adjustments for the season/weather.

Crikey….I completely forgot....a whistle....it is attached to a zipper on my pack..... that is why my pack is always packed, so I don't forget something......
    Last edited by bartruff; 12-09-2018 at 09:33 AM.
    Tweaker, Darth, FishByte and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Depends on where you ride. If far from civilization more gear and tools are wise. If that gear is valuable take a day pack to carry it out with you in case of a forced hike out, or hide precious gear off trail. I like to have cheap enough gear not to worry about thievery. The miscreants and bears can have my $15 air pump but if I had the $100 model I would have to guard it whenever I left the bike.. Usually the stock tool kit can address most minor trailside maintenance issues. If you go with extensive gear on board chances are the one tool or part you need will be left at home.
    RideOn can deal with many a tire punctures and if it doesn't work riding, walking the flat tired bike out is better than risking an incomplete trailside flat repair. If you think you can do a flat repair prove it in your driveway in the dirt with only tools on the bike. I sure can't do it. Simply breaking the rear bead takes a good tool.

If my bike fails I always plan on the self reliant self-rescue including a hike out if necessary. That included footwear walking friendly...an MX boot will have you limping and going bare-foot with-in a mile or so. I like an Adventure rootlike a Forma.
    If close to home I can be found going fairly casual, even in the snow. UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b0.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 12-07-2018 at 03:10 PM.
    Darth, FishByte and Tooner like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

"compass and a 44 Caliber Revolver....I am told by experts that bear spray is safer and more effective than a revolver but I haven't changed yet... "

If I recall correctly, Bear spray was something like 95% effective and a revolver in the hands of an experienced shooter was in the 29% range...

When I bow hunt I carry both.
    Fred, Darth and admiral like this.

Thanks guys!
    Good boots and helmet are of course a must. I will probably start off with light weight padding everywhere else. I only plan to putt around but fully expect to drop it a few times while relearning to ride over stuff on trails lol.

I don't expect to explore alone, in the beginning at least.

Larry I started watching your other videos and the beginning of that Idaho adventure is a big NOPE for me lol.
    Last edited by TW Newb; 12-08-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    FishByte and Darth like this.
    2001 TW

No worries TW Newb, before you know it you'll likely be exploring wild places on your TW with the best of us. Staying safe with good gear while learning is a good plan.
    Big welcome!
    Darth likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Hey, Newb...welcome aboard!

I can't add much to what to carry off-road, but always carry this in your mind for when you are on any public road or highway.

The rider in this vid shares blame with the car driver.

https://www.facebook.com/Break/video...6621735172792/
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Darth I've witnessed far too many accidents here in SoCal to ever consider riding the main roads. I can still playback in my head the time when the car in front of me suddenly turned in front of an oncoming bike. All I saw was the rider flying through the air toward me and an explosion of debri much like the video you shared. My best bud also died in a wreck when a car pulled out of a driveway. Another buddy is still battling physical issues from an accident over 10 years ago.
    I sometimes commute on my mountain bike but that allows me to jump a curb or ride paths that don't allow motors.

My main reason for choosing dual sport is that many of our local trails don't allow green sticker or are separated by short mountain highway jaunts and I want to stay legal.
    Darth likes this.
    2001 TW

I'm with you Newb!
    If I lived in SoCal I would not ride the high traffic areas either.
    A lot of street skills and dirt skills will transfer to the other, I find myself using both all the time, and combinations of them.
    Your bicycle skills will be very useful...I know you guys have to be very careful & defensive! I would imagine you guys have very finely honed skills for "feeling" for and using traction, also very important.
    I know this is not what you asked about, but the fact that you did ask means you are open to good ideas.
    Keep us posted on how it goes!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links