Skinny Tire Dual Sport Verses TW 200
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Skinny Tire Dual Sport Verses TW 200

Skinny Tire Dual Sport Verses TW 200

My 45 year old son and I rode TW 200's for years until we moved to an area not good for off road riding. Now that we are back in Oregon we want to start riding again. He thinks he wants something like an XT250 with skinny tires. I am in my 70's and want stability.

COuld anyone who has ridden both types of bikes share what the ride difference is.

Thanks for responding

TW Pros:
    Lower seat height
    Wider tires
    Price

XT250 Pros:
    Everything else
    Peterb and jonnyquest like this.

What is the ride and handling difference between fat and skinny tires

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Explorer View Post
    My 45 year old son and I rode TW 200's for years until we moved to an area not good for off road riding. Now that we are back in Oregon we want to start riding again. He thinks he wants something like an XT250 with skinny tires. I am in my 70's and want stability.

COuld anyone who has ridden both types of bikes share what the ride difference is.

Thanks for responding
    I have and ride a TW and XT200 (Skinny tires). In my case I can't really tell enough of a difference with either in comparison to tires to even make mention. I think the XT wiggles just a tad more on all off-road surfaces but when you apply power but it has good traction and you don't even notice. I do feel more confident going over rocks with the TW but I go the same places with the XT so don't know if it's just in my head. Both do about the same in sand. On gravel roads I wander around the same on both. If the TW's wider tires are suppose to be an advantage I can't figure it out!

What I do notice between the two is the XT200 is about 50 lbs. lighter and a bit easier to handle on tight trails. I think the XT250 weighs closer to the TW than my XT200 does. My XT is only slightly taller than the TW but it's not a XT250. I do like the TW's lower seat height most of the time.

The XT250 will have more power if that's what your 45 y.o. son is looking for.
    Tweaker and ejfranz like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Skinny tires dig into soft terrain deeper then fat tires. This is an advantage and disadvantage depending on speed and terrain. TW will slide more on loose terrain (like gravel) then a narrow tire, as a narrow tire cuts a line, the wider tire disperses it's weight over a larger area reducing traction. When a skinnier tire digs itself into a hole the TW is more likely to keep rolling.

A skinnier tire can fit into smaller lines offroad and a TW will need to slip you side to side at times when the tire is too wide for the line you chose to ride. The round stock tire is more forgiving for this then a tire with more bite on the corner treads.

TWs large tires give the illusion of greater traction but I suspect it is the low gearing that is less likely to break traction by roosting dirt behind it like other faster bikes. The gearing is easier to control and better suited to lower speeds then most bikes.

TW tires are less likely to get pinch flats and offer a smooth ride that leaves less of a "foot print" then skinnier tires.

If you're already familiar with a TW then it's going to be more comfortable and predictable then any other option.

These bikes appeal mostly to an older demographic for good reasons....easy to ride, fun, and not too fast.

Wide tires sure seem to help me in sand, silt, mud and snow. A few of my riding buddies have XT 225, WR250 & KLX 250 bikes. While their 6 speeds can leave me behind on pavement and faster fire roads I can occasionally traverse sections that cause them grief. But then again their vastly superior suspensions allow them to go much faster and/or safer on medium rough terrain.
    While it has been awhile since I rode a skinny tire bike in silt and blow sand I say based on back-to-back experiences that a Duro ATV tire equipped TW is much more stable than a stock TW's rear TrailWing tire.
    Trail Woman likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

For me the place where I find the TW shines compared to almost anything with a 21" front wheel is on twisty paved roads. In the bush my buddies Super Sherpa does everything as well as my TW.

The BIGGEST difference is in ownership. Nobody follows a skinny tire dirt bike into a gas station just to ask what it is and how much it costs! I NEVER get as much attention on my 500X as I do my round bottom girl.

Tom
    Fred, JerseyJeeper and Peterb like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Explorer View Post
    What is the ride and handling difference between fat and skinny tires
    Depends on the terrain.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

Good synopsis by Trail Woman.
    I have owned both.
    Both were new.
    Had both for about the same length of time and miles.
    Dropped the XT 250 3 times.
    Dropped the TW200 zero times although I pushed my limit on one extended solo ride.
    XT250 has a longer range, better suspension, ~10 MPH faster and can clear an intersection in first gear, but I would recommend the TW200 for trail riding.
    I am almost 72, owned 17 M/C and rode for 55 years.
    My most recent bike did 0-60 in 3.3 seconds.
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 12-11-2018 at 12:09 AM.
    Trail Woman likes this.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2