HELP ! Need Hitch Carrier I Can Load
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: HELP ! Need Hitch Carrier I Can Load

HELP ! Need Hitch Carrier I Can Load

In my 70's and wife wanted me to quit riding so I sold my last TW - not dead yet and need something thumping between my legs so I just bought a 2019....trouble is I cant load onto my Versarack alone. Any suggestions for a rack a senior citizen can load

Thanks for your thoughts

Try a search on Amazon or Camping World ...there are nearly a dozen that should do the trick....

I think they all require some simple assembly …..fit a 2" hitch....they are priced between $150 - $250 and have detachable loading ramps.....the buyer's reviews can be useful...….now....

I was 70 ten years ago and I can use them....take a look at the Black Widow series.. they are kind of wobbly but a couple adjustable straps can firm them up ..If you also intend to tow something, there are racks that allow that..

By the way, I made the same mistake and sold my bikes because I was too old to ride.... last year I bought two TWs and had a absolute ball riding..... carefully..... on mostly dirt roads with little or no traffic...live life anchor up...

You might even try Craig's List for a used one.....you might find one at a estate sale from someone who was too old to ride !!
    Last edited by bartruff; 12-14-2018 at 07:20 AM.
    Ken, Redtail and NorthernSpy like this.

I think he has problems by himself loading it onto the rack he already has (meaning that type does not work for him).

There are a couple of styles (one no longer made; but you might find used) that fit in the hitch and then raise up.

If others don't jump in; send a PM to "FRED" who has one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

All these carriers require a little effort to load and then secure the TW.
    If Mystic Explorer's difficulty lies with pushing bike up and onto the Versarack then clever parking with rear haul vehicle's tires in a depression can lower the versa rack's ramp angle. However bike then needs to be steadied until restrained so it does not fall over. Parking with a small hill or elevation under the Versarack can also lower ramp angle bike needs to be pushed up, and bike may then want to lean into, rather than off of haul vehicle.
    The hydraulic lift type carrier old/?? refers to have their own minor complications. The TW does not have great ground clearance beneath the skid plate so getting bike onto the load platform can be an issue on tall vehicles. Should not be an issue if receiver hitch is not over about a foot from ground. Once bike is on the lowered load platform securing it with the foot peg clamps is straightforward and very secure. Jacking load platform with bike attached is then not too difficult. The lever on the hydraulic jack may be lengthened for more leverage and thus less pumping effort.
    One benefit of my MotoJack hydraulic lift is that bike has little opportunity to fall over during load and unload phases, unlike my old ramp style carrier like the Versarack. Bike becomes securely clamped to carrier at ground level, and the load platform holds bike safely while this clamping occurs. Very Safe for solo operation. Very safe on side hills and slopes too, unlike conventional ramp style carriers.
    admiral, Tweaker, Ken and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I have played with the idea of incorporating the moto Jack method with a rail type of hauler. My idea is to be able to lower the rail to the ground, strap the bike down, and then raise the bike and rail via a jack, maybe even and electric jack. What do you think Fred?
    admiral, Fred, Ken and 1 others like this.

Where do you live Mystic? I built a carrier in just a few hours. It is the width of my Ranger pickup and about 3ft from the bumper to the end. I put a screen for the bottom and chain links for tie down eyes. Also put a set of lights on the rear so putting a bike on doesn't block out rear lighting. If you are close wouldn't take much to fix you up.
    Fred, Ken, jtstdub and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemama View Post
    I have played with the idea of incorporating the moto Jack method with a rail type of hauler. My idea is to be able to lower the rail to the ground, strap the bike down, and then raise the bike and rail via a jack, maybe even and electric jack. What do you think Fred?
    For packaging and clearance considerations I would consider using a 12V linear actuator driving a rotating cam to do the lifting rather than the 4-bar linkage and hydraulic jack of the MotoJack...I saw something similar for a wheel chair lift and was impressed.
    Ken and joeband like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

2017-08-24 001 001.jpg2017-08-24 001 002.jpg

I have this 4 sale works great for the TDub with the wide track, I'm 70+ and have no trouble loading with the long ramp. The locking wheel chock really helps. $200. Where are you?
    Ken and grewen like this.

Washington state

I have the same problem. My Tundra has a 4” lift on it so getting my TW up on my hitch carrier is extremely hard by myself . I am 6’ 185lb and I still ask my wife for help if I need to load it and she’s around, haha- 2 people it’s a piece of cake. I’m currently looking for a small cheap ramp to make it a little more feasible because the “ramp” that came with the hitch carrier is about 30” long making it >45deg angle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links