What's up with 2006?
Close

It's common knowledge that 1987 is "the" bad year for the TW200, but what's up with 2006?

I've had my 2011 for the better part of a year now, but out of habit or lust I still find myself searching the local craigslists for TW200s, and what I primarily find is 3 things:

1) dealers posting brand new bikes

2) owners posting ancient or badly neglected (or recently "reconditioned") beaters

3) "like new" 2006 TWs

The bike that was bought out from under me (blessing in disguise?) was a 2006, 2 of the 4 privately offered TWs currently on CL in this neck of the woods are 2006s, and many of the TWs I've seen for sale in the interim have been from the 2006 vintage. Not sure if these are the same few lemon bikes being passed around or what, but from my perspective it seems suspicious. I've seen at least a couple posts on here in the recent past from 2006 owners with serious engine problems as well.

And least of all, I might have missed them but I don't see many posts from 2006 TW owners. 2005s are loved, but I think we have more recent posts from 1988 owners than 2006.

Maybe I'm just a 2006 TW conspiracy theorist, but something smells fishy.

So, what's up with 2006?
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    It's common knowledge that 1987 is "the" bad year for the TW200, but what's up with 2006?

I've had my 2011 for the better part of a year now, but out of habit or lust I still find myself searching the local craigslists for TW200s, and what I primarily find is 3 things:

1) dealers posting brand new bikes

2) owners posting ancient or badly neglected (or recently "reconditioned") beaters

3) "like new" 2006 TWs

The bike that was bought out from under me (blessing in disguise?) was a 2006, 2 of the 4 privately offered TWs currently on CL in this neck of the woods are 2006s, and many of the TWs I've seen for sale in the interim have been from the 2006 vintage. Not sure if these are the same few lemon bikes being passed around or what, but from my perspective it seems suspicious. I've seen at least a couple posts on here in the recent past from 2006 owners with serious engine problems as well.

And least of all, I might have missed them but I don't see many posts from 2006 TW owners. 2005s are loved, but I think we have more recent posts from 1988 owners than 2006.

Maybe I'm just a 2006 TW conspiracy theorist, but something smells fishy.

So, what's up with 2006?

That was the year I met my ex-girlfriend, so yes -- that was a bad year

I got married that year..... Big mistake.

As far as the bike, nothing special about that year. There's also a ton of these out there with low miles. My 03 only had 2700 on it when i picked it up in December.
    03 TW200 Moose handguards, F+R custom racks, Clarke TW tank, 15/50, RK o-ring and a bag for trips to the party store.

Volvo ABS module repair and exchange at Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It's been reported that the 2006 had the bad base gasket issue. Easily corrected with a newer (2010 & up) gasket replacement I believe. My guess is folks may not want to pay to have it done or don't have the skillset to do it themselves. Just a guess though. Other than the gasket issue, I've not heard of anything being a problem with this year. Of course, any TW could have a base gasket leak, but the 2006 has been more prone.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I would guess that people who bought a 2006 and for whatever reason, didn't ride it that much, realize that after 7 years it's just taking up space in their garage, and it's time to go. Probably needs some routine maintenance that they don't want to bother with too. That was the case when I found my '08 with 230 miles on it. The guy just never used it like he thought he would and it was in the way.

I'm going to guess its the fact that 2006 was a high sales year, and then the crunch hit. Thats why I have a 2006 truck, a 2006 Kawasaki, and used vehicle prices are high as a result of low sales in the economic crunch years (2007?, 2008-2012), The TW is a nubie bike, tempting for many and appropriate for not quite so many (those are the ones that sell them with 300 - 3000 miles to our advantage). Even for the experienced MC rider who buys one, it can become superfulous and fall casualty to hard times and be one of the bikes that has to be sold to justify the newer or more unexpendable one. Mine will be the last one I sell as they take me off to the nursing home, so don't hold your breath on a NM bike with a big tank for awhile (even tho I'm above average when it comes to age of the ridership community). Ride on and keep buying up those bikes that have depreciated at someone else's expense. There's nothing wrong with them except they need love and attention. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    I'm going to guess its the fact that 2006 was a high sales year, and then the crunch hit. Thats why I have a 2006 truck, a 2006 Kawasaki.....

Interesting observation and probably a pretty good call there, Tom.

Now that you've mentioned it most of the now-vacant McMansions on my road were built in roughly the same timeframe.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

JRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirebiter View Post
    I would guess that people who bought a 2006 and for whatever reason, didn't ride it that much, realize that after 7 years it's just taking up space in their garage, and it's time to go. Probably needs some routine maintenance that they don't want to bother with too. That was the case when I found my '08 with 230 miles on it. The guy just never used it like he thought he would and it was in the way.

geesh... my '08 had just 475 miles on it and I thought that was low! nice find! isn't it great to find a low mileage cream puff?

I think it's just a coincidence but I've actually noticed that too. I've bought many 2006's with ultra low miles (under 200) and never had a problem, never had a leaker. I have a few 06's on my trapline for next week "if the price is right". I like the correlation to the height of the McMansion boom it does make sense. I saw more TW's for sale in 2012 than I've seen in the last 10 years so I think a lot of people are cleaning out the garages looking for bill payin money
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links