The resurrection...
Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: The resurrection...

The resurrection...

Today I started the few first steps to bringing a 1987 TW back to life.
    Hope to have it running before the spring start to the 2019 riding season.
    Wish me luck.

Not a lot of work done. But a start.
    Pulled the spark plug and oiled the cylinder. Pulled out the old battery and dropped in the one from my Suzuki Savage.
    It's the right length and width. But way too tall. Seat won't be going back on for a while. Not sure of the output from that battery.
    But if it can turn over a 650 single it should be able to handle the 200. Got the tank off. Doesn't look too bad in there. But the outside looks like hell.
    Will deal with that when I know the bike will run. Left it sit about 6 hours. Put a touch more oil down the plug hole. Another hour later I turned the key on,
    popped a new plug in the wire, and kicked it over by hand. We have spark!. For now I left it at that.

Gonna be a slow process. But as I make progress I will update.
    CJ7Pilot, Donzo, Darth and 7 others like this.

I hope it works out for you. What is the history on the bike? How long has it sat?
    Darth and jtomelliott49 like this.

This time? About 10 years. But it has been idle for long periods off and on for all it's life. Out of state jobs, health issue, life sometimes doesn't happen the way you think it will. Gonna give it a shot. If I can get her running without a major investment fine. If not, well we will cross that bridge if we get to it. Otherwise I'm gonna let my sister learn on it.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

OK. Today I got looking at the carb. Or rather I thought about it. Boots are both hard as rock. So what do you guys think? Replace the boots as is or go for one of the knock off new style carbs and boots for that?

Without knowing more of the history, my opinion is try to get it running as is. Having done both, my old bikes are all about running well and being safe for as little $ as possible. I think the biggest problem you’ll encounter is getting the carb back on after cleaning it if the boots have certainly shrunk. If you can get it running enough to putt around and test everything out you’ll know what the next steps are.

The simple answer is yes the 30+ year old boots need to be replaced. If the carb needs to be replaced, then my opinion is go with the newer style, no matter if you decide on OEM or clone. Cheers and good luck and keep us posted on progress and share lots of pics.
    GOF, jtomelliott49 and Peterb like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 10K miles, decent condition
    04 in great condition

Not sure I'm even gonna be able to get the the carb off without damaging the boots. But will give it a try. It's almost certain the carb needs cleaning. I'm thinking I'll clean the tank out and check for leaks. Get that squared away and maybe drop in a little fuel and see what happens. Then deal with the carb.

This is worth a read. In fact I’ve read it a dozen times. GaryL says it all...

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...back-life.html

Removing the bolts on the cylinder side boot will definitely help with carb removal.
    Last edited by Badgerflorida; 01-06-2019 at 08:14 PM.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 10K miles, decent condition
    04 in great condition

OK. A few days ago I pulled the tank. Go a mirror and a light down inside and found things were not in as good a shape as I thought. Still not horrible though. So I filled it up with vinegar and let it sit. 24 hours later I dumped it out into a clean container. Rinsed it out and reinspected. Still needed work. Poured the vinegar back in and waited another 24 hours. Repeated yesterday. Almost done. One more 24 hour period. Today it looks very good. Not new good. But not bad. I feel good about reusing it with a filter just to be safe. Washed it out with backing soda and water. Then again with hot soapy water. Then dumped a bottle of isopropyl alcohol. Then a bit of oil to slosh around. Filled it with methynol free fuel and popped it back on the bike. Got it to run on choke. But not long enough to warm it up. Then noticed a fuel leak. Petcock, that held fine for cleaning, was leaking. Looks like the gasket to the tank.

So far the investment in resurrecting this thing, oil vinegar and gas, is about $25. Haven't been saving receipts.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200

New chinese petcocks from ebay are cheap. Another member here recommended them and I bought a couple.. Worked fine. Best wishes on getting your '87 back on the road/trails. I love my '87.
    Badgerflorida likes this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Thanks. I suspect that the leak is the gasket between the petcock and the tank. But it's a 30 plus year old part. So I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon. Nine bux delivered in two days.
    1988 Suzuki Savage
    1987 Yamaha TW200

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links