Heated Clothing
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Heated Clothing

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar

Heated Clothing

Motorcycles are like dogs.

They do better when there are more than one.

I have a 2013 Bonneville.

I do not know what my electrical system/stator can handle. I have an led headlight (Motogadget interactive) , I use Kosvo heated grips, and Denali D2 tri optic driving lights. I want to start using 12v clothing...jacket and pants and gloves. Will my 2013 Bonneville electrical support this load?

As a side note, what clothing might you recommend? It is important that you recommend pants, glove, and jacket that are the best in the world. Nothing imported if you can avoid it please. If imported, preferably from Europe.

Thank you. MBW

I did not run any electrical accessories on my 2012 Triumph Bonneville, but I think your stator is good for 25 amps, at 1,000 RPM which would be at least 300 watts.
    At, 3,000 RPM, 46.5 amps, which would be 665 watts.

How many amps/watts are you saving with the LED headlight?
    How many amps/watts for your planned accessories?

Pending the load answer, I doubt you will have an issue, but you may need to be careful at idle speed.

How good is your voltage at idle? If barely above 12.8 with AGM battery, more load would probably be a deficit charge at idle and some load should be shed for more than a minute at a traffic signal.
    However, the closer it is to ideal of 14.3 (13.8 to 14.8), the better is will likely handle accessory load at idle.

If 25 amps is a balanced charge, not a deficient, at idle, then at cruising speed, you may be able to handle up to 20 amps of accessories, plus difference of LED over stock H4 headlight.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

Well MBW, first off, I invested in a pair of freeze-out glove liners and a freeze-out balaclava. The gloves I got are Oakley, I call them penguin gloves as the thumb and fore finger are free and the rest is a mitten. Quite toasty with the liners. As for my jacket, it is just a Bilt Explorer Adventure jacket. It has a fleece zip in liner and the jacket is made of cor-dura. And my pants are Sedici, cor-dura material and a zip in thermal liner as well, not fleece but super warm. With everything on I have yet to get as much as a breeze through. Very warm, wind and water proof. After a while of riding at higher speeds my hands to tend to get chilly, but that is when I have been riding in less than 10* weather. I don't have heated grips or 12v anything. Mobility gets impeded some like when trying to turn your head fully or whipping your leg over the seat, but not enough to stop riding. But you're never as mobile as you would like to be when dressed for the cold. Haven't got boots yet but hand warmer packets are great for keeping toes warm.
    Cor-dura material is the best material for jackets and pants in the world. No one should get pants or jackets without Cor-dura.
    If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Tuco Juan Ramierez aka "The Rat"
    There's 2 kinds of people in this world, those with guns, and those who dig. You dig. - The Man with No Name

2018 TW200 - LCpl. Rex T. Dubber
    2010 Savage S40 650

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Another thing to think about might be a battery kit dedicated to running the gear. Gerbing makes one that will run their gear. As far as i remember Gerbing has been the gold standard for heated undergarments for a while.
    https://gerbing.eu/en/b12v-8000kit/#batteries-general
    Last edited by jb882; 01-09-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

I have the Gerbing clothing. They are marketed with all the Harley logos and such and sold as their gear. But a closer look reveals it is in fact Gerbing.
    Under-jacket, gloves, pants. Have had for more than 10 years so I guess it would be described as the older style. They call their newest stuff micro-mesh.

Darn if they doesn't work as well as the day I bought it. True that it is the Gold Standard.

But they are making 12V battery in your pocket stuff now that is light years better than ever before. I'd never hook up my Gerbing stuff to the TW. That's for the Ural and the BMW's which have alternators like Power Plants. If my stuff does wear out I'll go with the self battery stuff. It's also a PITA being umbilicaled to a motorcycle in the first place.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

I've seen jackets/ vests on Amazon that will run on the regular lithium jump start batteries. The garments themselves don't even come with batteries. I already have one of these batteries. They claim the garment will heat up for up to 10 hours. seems like I could get additional batteries if needed.
    Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FLZ5C92...detail_0?psc=1

Anyone tried it?
    Dryden-Tdub and Lyterx like this.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

One advantage of isolated batteries for heated gear is the ability to ride at low speeds (low amp output from stator) without a charging issue.

Another advantage is not having to unplug when dismounting (intentional or otherwise!).

However, for long distance road trips (post one re 2013 Bonneville), power from the bike may be the best way to go.
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 01-09-2019 at 05:12 PM.
    Rhodetrip likes this.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

You might think about investing in ski clothing. I ski mountains in the middle of snow storms, temps in the single digits and speeds around 25/30mph all day long without too much, if any discomfort. I think the wind break and waterproof features of said clothing is what does it. I also wear one of those hoodie things under my helmet. Covers everything but my eyes which are covered in goggles.
    The only heat I use riding my motorcycles is heated grips. I love those things! Some good deals on ski wear at local thrift stores. If you don't mind looking like a disco ball, you might even find a one-piece union suit style in 'bold' colors as well.
    Another possible source of cold weather gear is army/navy military surplus stores. When I was stationed in Alaska, we were issued winter wear flight suits. Very comfy, slipped over street clothes easy and tons of zippered pockets easy to get to.
    The US Olympic snow board team suits are 'interesting'; playing off the astronaut look;

https://mashable.com/2017/11/16/burt.../#BFnBpqD0wOqf

Ground Control to Major Tom.....

Darth and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    The bear slayer!

Looks like gear fit for a space walk.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Tuco Juan Ramierez aka "The Rat"
    There's 2 kinds of people in this world, those with guns, and those who dig. You dig. - The Man with No Name

2018 TW200 - LCpl. Rex T. Dubber
    2010 Savage S40 650

Attachment 188302

Quote Originally Posted by Ski Pro 3 View Post
    You might think about investing in ski clothing. I ski mountains in the middle of snow storms, temps in the single digits and speeds around 25/30mph all day long without too much, if any discomfort. I think the wind break and waterproof features of said clothing is what does it. I also wear one of those hoodie things under my helmet. Covers everything but my eyes which are covered in goggles.
    The only heat I use riding my motorcycles is heated grips. I love those things! Some good deals on ski wear at local thrift stores. If you don't mind looking like a disco ball, you might even find a one-piece union suit style in 'bold' colors as well.
    Another possible source of cold weather gear is army/navy military surplus stores. When I was stationed in Alaska, we were issued winter wear flight suits. Very comfy, slipped over street clothes easy and tons of zippered pockets easy to get to.
    The US Olympic snow board team suits are 'interesting'; playing off the astronaut look;

https://mashable.com/2017/11/16/burt.../#BFnBpqD0wOqf

Ground Control to Major Tom.....

Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links