Let the winter projects begin...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Let the winter projects begin...

Let the winter projects begin...

Well, the project list keeps growing but this should be about it. I also decided to go with a JNS Headlight, however that is on backorder until the 23rd or so.
    I’m going to have the tire put on by the dealer and while she’s there get the valves checked (just because I feel more comfortable with them doing it than me!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sthrnromr, Elvesus, GOF and 5 others like this.

GOF
    Someone got some nice stuff!
    If it were me half the fun would be doing the work. Lots of info on doing all that. None of it is very difficult. I have confidence that if you have even a small amount of mechanical ability you could complete all that work yourself. That said, I understand not everyone enjoys doing these things. So if the dealer is your rout of choice that's cool too.
    Sthrnromr and jtomelliott49 like this.

What's in the bag with the bubble wrap?
    Wingnut and jtomelliott49 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have my dealer mount and balance tires just because it's dirty and not so easy with tire irons compared to a machine. I would NEVER let a dealer adjust my valves unless I knew the mechanic personally. Checking them is so easy, you don't even have to remove the gas tank. Takes about 10 minutes. I would let a dealer check the clearance, write it down, and show it to me. I'd have to make a separate decision about letting him adjust them, as above.

Now, on the BMW checking and setting valve clearance is a MUCH more complex job and I do let my dealer do that, as long as a certified BMW mechanic does the work. My Boise dealer doesn't have any mechanics that are not certified by BMW, so I'm in good hands. In a big city like SLC, you are probably in good hands too......I hope.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by Vektor View Post
    What's in the bag with the bubble wrap?
    ADV mirror.....after bending, tweaking replacing the originals over the past few years I decided to try a folder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought a 98 parts bike and the wheels are rolling lol. First thing I did was change the oil and was amazed the filter had no junk on it :-). Checked for spart and it was good so hooked up to my test tank but no fire so I ran it on propane and it sounds good. Took the carb off and the jets were totally plugged. Had to use a torch tip cleaner on the pilot jet and the ultrasonic took care of the rest. Nice spare engine with kicker whoohoo! Needed a new rim for my 99 so cha-ching. That got me thinking it will leave me with an extra hub and swing arm... hmm ATV tire? Went on Fortnine and found this https://fortnine.ca/en/ams-radial-pro-front-rear-tire 54% off, DOT approved and I like the tread pattern. Not sure about it being a radial though. Has anyone ever run this tire or another radial ATV tire? I remember my brother putting bias ply snow tires on the back of his car with radials up front and you could not even drive it on the highway.
    Last edited by Peterb; 01-10-2019 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    ...Now, on the BMW checking and setting valve clearance is a MUCH more complex job...
    Aw, come on. The R's are super simple to work on. The cylinder head is right out there in the open for you to get to. Possibly easier than the TW. Their inline engines require a few things to be removed [especially the K's] but the boxers are fairly easy.
    Last edited by methamphetasaur; 01-12-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Looks like a good haul! I have the same USB charger its been working good for well over a year. I did a kick starter, heavy duty clutch springs (while apart) and a new handlebar thus far. Love working on that lil bike, esp when it's raining or snowing out haha.

Quote Originally Posted by methamphetasaur View Post
    As, come on. The R's are super simple to work on. ....
    Not the waterboxers....quite different.

https://snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/2014/0620-12k-service/
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
    I just bought a 98 parts bike and the wheels are rolling lol. First thing I did was change the oil and was amazed the filter had no junk on it :-). Checked for spart and it was good so hooked up to my test tank but no fire so I ran it on propane and it sounds good. Took the carb off and the jets were totally plugged. Had to use a torch tip cleaner on the pilot jet and the ultrasonic took care of the rest. Nice spare engine with kicker whoohoo! Needed a new rim for my 99 so cha-ching. That got me thinking it will leave me with an extra hub and swing arm... hmm ATV tire? Went on Fortnine and found this https://fortnine.ca/en/ams-radial-pro-front-rear-tire 54% off, DOT approved and I like the tread pattern. Not sure about it being a radial though. Has anyone ever run this tire or another radial ATV tire? I remember my brother putting bias ply snow tires on the back of his car with radials up front and you could not even drive it on the highway.
    That sounds like a pretty good find, for a "parts bike!"

Can you explain how you ran it on propane?
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links