What size Inner Tube for ATV tire installation?
Close

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Miaugi
  • 2 Post By stevegpt
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 2 Post By Fred

Thread: What size Inner Tube for ATV tire installation?

What size Inner Tube for ATV tire installation?

So I am planning to install an ATV rear tire on my '06 and yesterday I ordered the following tire, AMS Radial Pro 26x9x14 for $123 Cdn including taxes and free shipping so about $96 USD.

Now my question is what would members who have done similar installs of an ATV tire suggest for an inner tube? Will the stock tube work or should I shop for something larger and if so what size should I look for? Thanks!
    admiral likes this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

I recently put on a Terracross 26x8x14 and used the stock tube. The shop said the whole process was "easy peasy". Good luck!
    Miaugi and Fred like this.
    2009 TW200 / 2013 CB500X

Quote Originally Posted by Miaugi View Post
    So I am planning to install an ATV rear tire on my '06 and yesterday I ordered the following tire, AMS Radial Pro 26x9x14 for $123 Cdn including taxes and free shipping so about $96 USD.

Now my question is what would members who have done similar installs of an ATV tire suggest for an inner tube? Will the stock tube work or should I shop for something larger and if so what size should I look for? Thanks!
    I used the stock tube with my Ceros 26x9x14 and have not had any issues.
    Miaugi likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The stock tube seems to work well for all the ATV tires on a TW rim.

Those TerraCross ATV tires installations seem to getting more popular. Years ago it seemed like Ronnydog and others pioneered the BigHorn, then the Duro became popular. Someone back then had a TerraCross but don't recall any reviews. Then Admiral got us all thinking about the good Cerros properties.

Personally I think I like the TerraCross best, but admit my judgement is as biased as kid with a new toy until he breaks it. The rounded profile of the TerraCross makes its handling more neutral, almost playful in its ability to slide the rear out a bit. Fun in situations where the stock tire would wash out all the way in a low-side slide or the Duro would totally hook up on side lugs once you lean over and launch off side of trail.

However the TerraCross doesn't "tread lightly" like the stock TrailWing which leaves very minimal soil disturbance in its wake. Rather it is a rip 'em up tire, not Sierra Club rated. TerraCross does not heal or soften old knobby pug marks on the trail the way the stock tires do. Oh well, traded a socially responsible tire for a hooligan's play toy. "Hi Mother Nature, here's your new tattoo."

Was truly amazed how the TerraCross took me through muddy, snowy terrain yesterday, conditions where my other stock tired TW would have foundered in the first mile. However like all the ATV tires once it digs in and fails you are really stuck. Hope my glowing endorsements last few months don't get others in trouble. This tire is not for everyone.
    stevegpt and Miaugi like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Thanks fellows for your replies, it just saved me another $15 - $25 for a new inner tube. I'll post how my install goes once I get it done....but don't hold your breath, still another 6 or 7 weeks of winter here so no rush.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

Sponosred Links