Hello from the UK!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Hello from the UK!

Hello from the UK!

Hello folks! My name's Will from Kent in the UK.

I've just bought a 2006 TW225 with 12k on the clock. It's being delivered next week and I can't wait to get out on it!

When it arrives, is there anything that's worth looking at (from a maintenance point of view) before I hit the road?

I'd appreciate any pointers as I'm a BIG novice when it comes to small Japanese engines!

Cheers,

Will
    admiral, Elvesus and Ken like this.

Hi Will. Welcome to the forum from Ontario, Canada! There's going to be a number of envious members here on your purchase as we can't get the 225 version on this side of the pond so about 99.8% of us depend on our 200's for fun. Although some have taken the plunge and built a 225 but we would love if we could actually just buy one like you did. Hope you enjoy the ride and good luck with the new to you T-Dub!
    Ken likes this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

Thanks!

I had no idea that the 225 wasn't available over there. That being said, they're not ten-a-penny over here either. This was the first one I found for sale in a looooong time, I'm glad I managed to get it before someone else snapped it up!
    Ken likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hi Big Willy, welcome to the forum!

I would check the gas (or should I say petrol?) tank to see its condition and if there is any fuel in it (probably not if this bike was shipped to you). If there is fuel in it, I'd suggest draining it and disposing of it since you won't know the age and condition of it. If the inside of the tank looks clean and free of rust, I would put about 1 gallon (or 3.8 liters) in and check for any leaks from the tank, petcock fuel line or carburetor.

I would then check to see if there is oil in the engine. There is a sight glass on the lower front right side of the engine. With the bike in a near vertical position you should see the oil level visible in this window. If not you will need to add oil until it is between the two marks adjacent to this window.

Then check the condition and air pressure of the tires. Also check the condition of the drive chain and sprockets. Look for rust, lack of lubrication, and any evidence of excessive wear. Chain should not be too tight, nor exhibit excessive slack.

If everything looks good so far, turn the ignition on and see if the battery is charged enough for the lights to come on and work properly. If so, make sure the bike is in neutral, the side stand is up, the clutch lever is pulled in, the choke knob is pulled out, and see if the electric starter will turn the engine over and start the bike. If the electric starter won't do it, try the kickstarter.

If the bike starts and runs without any loud mechanical noises or excessive smoking, congratulations on your purchase! If it doesn't, let us know and we will try and help you through the steps to get it running. Before taking any long rides, it would be prudent to do a complete oil change, filter cleaning and valve check/adjustment.

Good luck!

Brian
    Fred, Miaugi and Ken like this.

Welcome from Frosty Hollow. Wish we had better access to 225 TW engines.
    Ken likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Good luck with your new bike. Hey at least with motorcycles there's no left vs right hand drive differences. Lol
    Miaugi and Ken like this.

Thanks folks!

I appreciate the pointers TW-Brian. That will help with making sure everything is in shape before lift-off.

One thing I'd like clarifying is whether the TW225 is the same as a TW200, but just with slightly larger displacement? Is the frame, running gear etc the same?

Cheers!
    Ken likes this.

The only major differences are in the engine, which would appear to come from the Serrow. The frame bits are the same, and in most cases you can swap parts with the TW125 if you get fed up with (presumably) dark red colour

The speedo cluster and tail unit are specific to the 225, but still swappable if required, just won’t look the same. Not sure about the electrics (CDI etc), so proceed with caution

The engine has a de-compression lever which is only activated by the kickstart, remains 5 gears, and the front sprocket goes up to 15 teeth – I’d recommend getting used to it first before you start fiddling around with things

Other than that – just ask first before trying to change things around, and we’ll help out all we can

Welcome to the board …..
    Miaugi, admiral and Ken like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Welcome from NY.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Welcome to the forum. Congrats and enjoy and post some pics when you get a chance.
    01 street 203/204
    96 hybrid Shinko 241/428
    89 restored SOLD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links