New Illinois T'Dub Owner
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: New Illinois T'Dub Owner

New Illinois T'Dub Owner

All,

My name is Allan and as of last Thanksgiving was bitten initially by the BW200 bug while atving on my Honda 350x three wheeler at St. Joe, MO state park. Initially, I started to research having a BW200 myself and one of my co-workers who is into the whole adventure riding scene told me to forget about the BW200 and look into the TW200.

I found this forum and joined on Dec 8th while watching Craigslist and this forum for any opportunities somewhat around central Illinois. Low and behold on a trip back from Nashville, I was checking the forum and found a guy in IA selling a mint 2015 with only 54 miles on it. I know that this was posted about and I called him and the rest was history..for $2,700. I couldn't believe I was able to find one practically new around me...and that day I was back home by 11am and put almost 50 miles on it in the one day mostly riding on gravel/dirt or some atv trails around me.

Anyway, I've read up on the fat front end and how it was done by both tiny wheel 200, skin walker , and mmannddalla and quickly accumulated the front end pieces from a bw200, a new atv front tire, additional rear wheel and a duro atv tire....The wife wasn't very happy when the week after I brought the new bike home, I had torn the front end down.

Right now I've followed skin walker's guide for the rear wheel and am attempting to be patient while everything dries..then I get to try the duro mount!

At this moment of modifications, I have BW200 triple tree, forks, new brakes, new bearings, new atv tire, and a new front fenderIMG_20190105_074039.jpgIMG_20190115_150942.jpgIMG_20190121_134851.jpgIMG_20190127_141223.jpg. I purchases a 93 tw200 front brake, a new brake cable, used the 2015 front brake cable switch and reused the handlebar. I followed mmanndalla idea on the mounting of the headlight/dash without any issue.

Anyway, I just want to say a huge thanks to all of you crazy dedicated T'Dubbers out there and for additionally documenting this for noob's like myself!

I've attached a few pics of my process so far and obviously have a lot of customizing to go before it is ready.

So cool, great job!
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Husqvarna 6440 - she may be old, but she still runs like a sewing machine.
    2006 TW200

Very nice work, Old Guy!

That Big Wheel front end and fender look like they came stock from the factory that way. Also, great score on a nice looking bike!

Brian

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sick fat tire, welcome from the QC
    2018 TW200

Safety sticker removal mod
    Carb re-jet: 130 main, 34 pilot
    DG v2 exhaust, 1.25" insert

1972 CT2 175 - The OG TW

Nice work! Look forward to future updates. Cheers
    01 street 203/204
    96 hybrid Shinko 241/428
    89 restored SOLD

Nice work!

wow nice Job

Funny, I was just commenting in another thread regarding someone wanting to go with a skinny tire front-end. Then came upon this.
    Amazing work and transformation and yes... it pretty much looks like it came from the factory like that.

How does a modification like that handle on the road? Can you still lean into a turn fast.
    How fast can you safely go? I'm referring to on-pavement of course. I know that must be a beast off-road now.
    Fantastic work!!!!!!!
    jtomelliott49 and Darth like this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Thanks Stagewex for the compliments and for the questions!

The one issue with having the fat atv tire in the front is the handling on the road of course. One thing I wanted to accomplish was to ensure that the front wheel was balanced...and I never could using wheel weights. I ended up putting 6oz of glass beads in the tire to resolve the wheel wobble feeling on the street moving in 3rd gear or higher (Innovative Balancing: DynaBeads Tire Balancing Beads DBS-OR6 - 1 - Dyna Beads -Off Road Standard bag - 13.99).

After the installation of the glass beads, the front end would feel really heavy until I hit 3rd gear then I no longer felt any wobble..just takes a bit to get used to. I can't answer as the actual speed but am guessing around 40 on the street and it felt normal. Last Sunday (2/3) the temperature in Central IL actually breached 42 degrees so that was the last time I've driven it and will certainly keep the forum comprised of my progress.. Right now I'm waiting for my now tubeless rear wheel to be returned with a rear atv tire next week.
    admiral and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2015 TW200
    2009 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
    2009 Buell 1125R
    1985 Honda 350X

Quote Originally Posted by Old350xGuy View Post
    Thanks Stagewex for the compliments and for the questions!

The one issue with having the fat atv tire in the front is the handling on the road of course. One thing I wanted to accomplish was to ensure that the front wheel was balanced...and I never could using wheel weights. I ended up putting 6oz of glass beads in the tire to resolve the wheel wobble feeling on the street moving in 3rd gear or higher (Innovative Balancing: DynaBeads Tire Balancing Beads DBS-OR6 - 1 - Dyna Beads -Off Road Standard bag - 13.99).

After the installation of the glass beads, the front end would feel really heavy until I hit 3rd gear then I no longer felt any wobble..just takes a bit to get used to. I can't answer as the actual speed but am guessing around 40 on the street and it felt normal. Last Sunday (2/3) the temperature in Central IL actually breached 42 degrees so that was the last time I've driven it and will certainly keep the forum comprised of my progress.. Right now I'm waiting for my now tubeless rear wheel to be returned with a rear atv tire next week.

Always intrigued by the fatty front tire but usually too busy riding to take the time for a mod like this. Lets us (me) know how it handles in the sand if you ever get a chance.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links