New Michigander
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: New Michigander

New Michigander

Hi All ,

Picked up a 1987 T-dub couple weeks ago and the journey has begun .

It shows 9400 on the clock and while most of it is there , it's gonna take some work .

Had it on the bench for a couple of weeks picking away and the "list" is rapidly growing .

Seems the PO had some kickstart issues as the side cover was off and missing some pieces . The bad being where the tab cast into the case where the kick gear locator gizzy was knocked off and laying there . I've JB welded it back and fingers crossed .

Got the carb cleaned up with a new needle / seat . but the tank is pretty fugly both inside and out so I figgered on getting a Clarke . I paid $300 for it , but I'm waiting to get the filter cover screws so I can close it up and see if it run's and go from there . It's got spark , so that's a good thing .

I'm a long time "Trials guy " , retired. and can't do what I "UstaKood " but the TW will make a good putt-putt bike and I have a couple of buddies that have them too .

Thank's for having me and this is a great forum . Got a lot of catching up .

Scott

Welcome to the forum, Scott!

Good luck on resurrecting your '87, is yours a red one or a blue one! There seems to be a lot of these surfacing recently, Yamaha must have sold a whole lot of them that first year.

Post some pics when you are able to,

Brian

Hi Brian , It's a blue one and it's a CA model which is weird being in Michigan ?

Scott
    TW-Brian likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome from the frigid, snowy tundra of WI. Have fun and good luck resurrecting your TW.
    01 street 203/204
    96 hybrid Shinko 241/428
    89 restored SOLD

Welcome Scott to the vast information store found in this forum! Best wishes and the best adventure in working through your tdub list of things to fix! I'm in Central IL and am planning a trip to Silverlake Dunes state park in MI this summer to try out the tdub on the dunes there (https://www.michigan.org/hot-spots/s...ake-sand-dunes). I've never been there but look forward to the experience.

Allan
    2015 TW200
    2009 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
    2009 Buell 1125R
    1985 Honda 350X

Welcome. Crap, I thought the TW was this powerful woods and desert riding beast making me feel so young and invincible riding to my extreme abilities. But you say it's just a putt-putt bike. Gee dang-it, I guess I do just putt-putt but can't a guy live a dream! When it comes to riding, I think I "neverkood" so I don't have to worry about ustakood.

Hope you get old 87 back-a-runn'in.
    Last edited by admiral; 01-29-2019 at 08:23 AM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Welcome to you.
    Seems I've read at least 3-4 folks here bringing '87 TDubs back to life lately.
    A good sign that these are not throw-aways like a lot of other neglected bikes.
    admiral likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Welcome and best of luck with your build, hope to see it up and running soon!

Thanks All ,

Yeah, I blame it on my buddy that got a new one last year and so ...

I've been lurking' around for awhile and realize that a 1987 is ... " special " in some regards , but it was right around the corner and well ...

I guess it's not much different than a new one , so if I farkeled it out , Id still be within reason and have a good scoot . ( hopefully )

Got a little bit done trying to get the headlight / turn lights working but somehow don't have power to the headlight ?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Welcome. Crap, I thought the TW was this powerful woods and desert riding beast making me feel so young and invincible riding to my extreme abilities. But you say it's just a putt-putt bike. Gee dang-it, I guess I do just putt-putt but can't a guy live a dream! When it comes to riding, I think I "neverkood" so I don't have to worry about ustakood.

Hope you get old 87 back-a-runn'in.

Haha , that's what I think is addicting to them .

You don't have to go fast to have fun , but Ive learned over the years that things can happen fast when you're going slow !

Scott
    joeband, Tweaker and GOF like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links