If Alta did a Full Electric TW200
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Soulprogression108
  • 1 Post By Soulprogression108
  • 1 Post By Sthrnromr

Thread: If Alta did a Full Electric TW200

If Alta did a Full Electric TW200

Just dreaming but after watching how impressive the new Alta electric motor dirtbike is it’s got me dreaming about a full electric TW!

Sure I know it’s Yamaha’s platform but how fun would a T dub be electric? It’s already the easiest bike to ride but just twist and go. Plus the extra torque on trails would be nice and I think wheeling would be more accessible too. I struggle on mine but it’s heavy with the extra gallon of gas and I haven’t put too much practice in past popping it up in 1st.

No gas
    No engine maintenance
    No spark plugs, oil change, valve adjustments, no air filter change etc etc etc.

Sadly no Brrraaapp haha but.... no complaints from people about the noise

The Alta is obviously designed for racing but I’m sure that there’s plenty tweak ability for mileage vs power.

Apparently it has 4 settings and 4 is hella aggressive.

Anyway a conversion I’m sure is possible and would be fun but doubtful it could come close on specs and realistic build and rideablity that a designed bike would.

ETW
    assquatch20 likes this.

The current electric bike issue is the same old one, range. Or perhaps the relationship between range and weight, getting an energy-dense battery is like coming up with the rocket fuel capable of escape velocity. It's getting pretty viable if you can plan your stops to recharge and such, but I bet it would be an exercise in hypermiling, which I don't really mind doing sometimes. The torque kinda begs for traction control, as lowsides seem pretty easy to come by otherwise.

It may never be needed but I'd love to have a diesel/multifuel/electric hybrid bike. Something kinda low-slung but capable offroad like the TW or a modern scrambler. It would be harder to do but I'd prefer to have either motor power the rear wheel, as opposed to using the engine as a generator. Regenerative braking would be very handy on downhill sections, especially steep trails. The weight would be crazy but you'd have tons of torque and I think the TW is a testament to getting by with relatively low ground clearance offroad. If you could somehow make the weight manageable and still have that clearance, it would be awfully useful. You'd lose some offroad capability but a sidecar rig seems like a good candidate for a hybrid. Wouldn't be the first diesel hack by a long shot. You'd need more suspension than a TW offers regardless I'd think. If I ever get good at fabricating I'll let you know how it goes.
    Last edited by assquatch20; 02-01-2019 at 01:19 AM.

I agree a hybrid would probably make most sense. And I love your ideas bro!

According to a lot of pro riders that reviewed the alta they programmed the algorithms so well that the regenerative braking feels close to engine braking and responds the same way. Also apprently the traction is dialed meaning it doesn’t just lay down raw power it adjusts accordingly and grips through the launch and climb. Apparently turning better than most gas bikes!

Impressive to say the least and the enduro model is pretty friggin wicked but for a surf rat like me it would need some serious fat tire upgrades and a solar panel to charge while carving the waves haha. Then back to the beach for some power 🙂
    assquatch20 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Soulprogression108 View Post
    I agree a hybrid would probably make most sense. And I love your ideas bro!

According to a lot of pro riders that reviewed the alta they programmed the algorithms so well that the regenerative braking feels close to engine braking and responds the same way. Also apprently the traction is dialed meaning it doesn’t just lay down raw power it adjusts accordingly and grips through the launch and climb. Apparently turning better than most gas bikes!

Impressive to say the least and the enduro model is pretty friggin wicked but for a surf rat like me it would need some serious fat tire upgrades and a solar panel to charge while carving the waves haha. Then back to the beach for some power 🙂
    that alta is sweet...it's too bad they can't figure out a way to make the plastics of the bike to be the solar panels...similar to what elon musk did with the solar roof singles...probably not enough surface area and not flat enough

Be even better if Alta was still in business...
    Last edited by Sthrnromr; 02-01-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    Fred likes this.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

When the Japanese manufacturers make one, I will buy....

Sponosred Links