Winter riding
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Winter riding

  1. #1
    Senior Member stephenmarklay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA USA
    Posts
    493
    Since last year I have been riding a lot. I stopped in December due to the snow. Last year I was riding in the snow on my newly purchased KLX250s. Nothing slippery just spitting snow etc.



    I am now going mental. There are not enough pills to help. I need to ride a little. I sold the KLX and moved onto street bikes I won't ride those in any poor weather. My Vstrom has ABS but its tall and 450 pounds and too much...



    I originally looked at a TW and I still love the little beast. Is it possible to stud the tires (professionally) with good results or are there good mesh type tire chains that are workable? I assume the standard tire choices are not great in the cold. I mostly want a bike to ride around to the gym and store etc.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

    2014 BMW F800GS

    2007 BMW R1200R

  2. #2
    Member canyonlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Anchorage Ak
    Posts
    43
    Lots of people ride in the winter, I tend to just ride to and from work but recently rode 30 miles south of town to be the first MC of the year @ a biker bar up Turnagain Arm. Traction addemdums are the key to winter riding for me. Icy roads are fine, fresh snow on icy road is less fine as your traction addendums need to engage the road surface. The scary part is riding in traffic with cars tailgating. My first day of riding to work this year was jan. 3rd. This winter, I have not initiated a ride if it is colder than (-)15 , there were a few days it got colder as the day went on so rode home in colder temps. The bike runs great in cold weather. rw

  3. #3
    Senior Member stephenmarklay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA USA
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonlock View Post
    Lots of people ride in the winter, I tend to just ride to and from work but recently rode 30 miles south of town to be the first MC of the year @ a biker bar up Turnagain Arm. Traction addemdums are the key to winter riding for me. Icy roads are fine, fresh snow on icy road is less fine as your traction addendums need to engage the road surface. The scary part is riding in traffic with cars tailgating. My first day of riding to work this year was jan. 3rd. This winter, I have not initiated a ride if it is colder than (-)15 , there were a few days it got colder as the day went on so rode home in colder temps. The bike runs great in cold weather. rw




    Can you explain "Traction addemdums are the key to winter riding for me"?
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

    2014 BMW F800GS

    2007 BMW R1200R

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member FortPayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    326
    Have a look at the Admiral's post here.
    Tenaciously Deviant Unwittingly Brilliant

  6. #5
    Senior Member n2o2diver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dothan, AL
    Posts
    1,715
    I ride to work everyday, all winter long. Fortunately, all that is required is switching from open face to full face helmet and some thicker gloves.
    Hidden Content

    2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

  7. #6
    Senior Member admiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Frosty Hollow
    Posts
    13,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephenmarklay View Post
    I originally looked at a TW and I still love the little beast. Is it possible to stud the tires (professionally) with good results or are there good mesh type tire chains that are workable? I assume the standard tire choices are not great in the cold. I mostly want a bike to ride around to the gym and store etc.


    Howdy fellow snow rider!



    Not sure of what snow road conditions you may consider when riding, so I'll throw little of everything your way.



    None of the TW tires do well in snow, but if you want just a smidge better, you could buy at Kenda 270 or Shinko SR 244 for example (not inclusive).



    If you plan to ride on a combination packed snow and pavement, you could buy some screw in tire studs. For the front tire, best to have a tire similar to what I listed above as you'll have more tread depth to work with. Here's a link of what I'm talking about. http://www.woodystra...screws-off-road



    Here's a homebrew method I've used for off-pavement use. I put a set of chains on my rear tire and short sheet metal screws in my front Shinko SR 244. Rear chains work on packed snow/ice and fluffy snow. Sheet metal screws work ok on packed snow and ice, but not in slushy or deep snow conditions. I'm on the lookout for a small set of chains for the front.



    Note: I changed the pattern slightly from what you see in the photo. Instead of a screw in the center lug, I placed a screw in each "side by side" lug between the single center lug, but you get the idea. I kept the screws in the outer lug as seen in the photo.





    I love the chains!





    You could also get or make some "strap on" chains. I plan to make a set for the front and rear for next year. They will be easier to install and remove.

    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

  8. #7
    Member canyonlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Anchorage Ak
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephenmarklay View Post
    Can you explain "Traction addemdums are the key to winter riding for me"?


    Traction addendums around here can be car studs and lots of them installed in the lugs, making a dedicated winter tire. There are a variety of spikey things that the ice racers use, northern europeans and russians in particular have some very agressive spikes which seem to be available. Car studs work well on pavement, especially for longer rides. The steel spikey things work on ice only . What I use are called "Gold Screws", or cold cutter screws. I bought a kit of 1000 of them at the yamaha dealer in palenville (wasilla). They are a tempered screw much like what the admiral used but are made to be traction addendums (taller have sharp edges) and perhaps work better than conventional screws. As I understand it, they were originally made for snow machine tracks. In my DR650 tires, I would sometimes rip them out of the tire, but the TW does not seem to loose them much. The TW is a much easier winter ride than the DR.



    What I have found is for placement, I put them in every outside lug of the front tire (running stock tires) , the point being for the screws to just kiss the road while running on just rubber when straight up, lean over into a turn you get full engagement of multiple screws. I am careful going around corners and try to not have to much lateral force. The rear tire I start the season with a light pattern on the outside lugs of the rear tire, and as winter gets more serious, I double up the number in the rear tire, still avoiding the center line. If the screws are not on a perfect line, you can get a weird wiggle as the bike traks on the screws, better to be mostly on rubber with traction back up on the side. Plus, running on steel only has its own issues on pavement.



    I ride in town, on icy pavement in traffic. Tail gaters are very scary. The worst conditions and the reason I did not ride today (other than the fact it was a white out blizzard) is fresh snow on top of an icy road surface does NOT allow your traction addendums to engage the street surface. That is OK if you can go at a comfortable speed, but the other traffic wants you up to speed.



    I am not set up to post pictures, PM me an email address and I will send pics of my set up. rw

  9. #8
    Senior Member stephenmarklay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA USA
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Howdy fellow snow rider!



    Not sure of what snow road conditions you may consider when riding, so I'll throw little of everything your way.



    None of the TW tires do well in snow, but if you want just a smidge better, you could buy at Kenda 270 or Shinko SR 244 for example (not inclusive).



    If you plan to ride on a combination packed snow and pavement, you could buy some screw in tire studs. For the front tire, best to have a tire similar to what I listed above as you'll have more tread depth to work with. Here's a link of what I'm talking about. http://www.woodystra...screws-off-road



    Here's a homebrew method I've used for off-pavement use. I put a set of chains on my rear tire and short sheet metal screws in my front Shinko SR 244. Rear chains work on packed snow/ice and fluffy snow. Sheet metal screws work ok on packed snow and ice, but not in slushy or deep snow conditions. I'm on the lookout for a small set of chains for the front.



    Note: I changed the pattern slightly from what you see in the photo. Instead of a screw in the center lug, I placed a screw in each "side by side" lug between the single center lug, but you get the idea. I kept the screws in the outer lug as seen in the photo.





    I love the chains!





    You could also get or make some "strap on" chains. I plan to make a set for the front and rear for next year. They will be easier to install and remove.





    That last picture does look great. It appears to be just individual rather than all linked to together. I like that. My fear with a chain was that it would break free and do a lot of damage.



    Thanks for all of the great tips!
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

    2014 BMW F800GS

    2007 BMW R1200R

  10. #9
    Senior Member stephenmarklay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA USA
    Posts
    493
    Well I am pulling the trigger on a TW tomorrow. I found a nice 2011 with less than a 100 miles and a nice savings over new. I like red too,



    Looking forward to the bike. It will be perfect second bike.
    2011 TW200: Protaper Fat Bars, IMS Pegs, Cyclerack, Moose Racing Tail Bag, Cyrca Handguards, VStrom Mirrors, Jimbo Shield, Oxford Heated Grips, ProCycle 15k spring, 2x2cycles rack, seat concepts, Cyclops Adventure Sports LED conversion

    2014 BMW F800GS

    2007 BMW R1200R

  11. #10
    Senior Member atleastbehandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    250
    Snow to the axles!







    Took forever to turn around...
    2005 TW200, 2" PowerMadd bar riser, Tusk D-Flex Hand Guards, PowerMadd Hand Muffs, Kick-Start, Valco Cup Holder, Givi E45N Top Case, Inline fuel filter, Storage Tube with MSR bottle, 45 Tooth sprocket, Stebel Low Tone horn, #130 Main Jet / no needle shims / 1.5 turns out on idle, Jimbo Shield, DID O-Ring chain, Clarke XT250 4.1 Gal tank, Custom Cycleracks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. is riding on a paved road while snow is falling "adventure riding"?
    By jckosnow in forum Trails, Off-road, and Adventure Riding
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-17-2013, 12:31 PM
  2. Winter fun
    By howardgene63 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-01-2013, 02:03 PM
  3. maybe we can do this to the tw for some winter fun
    By ridgeline in forum Test Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 01:09 PM
  4. winter riding
    By pbfirefighter22 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 11-29-2011, 07:03 PM
  5. I miss winter
    By Mr. BigWheel in forum Trails, Off-road, and Adventure Riding
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 03:52 PM

Search tags for this page

heated grips

,

snow track on yamaha tw200

Click on a term to search for related topics.