Detoxing a T-Dub
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Detoxing a T-Dub

Detoxing a T-Dub

So....new member here. A riding buddy convinced me I need a T-dub to play with at his cabin. After tooling around on his, I agree! I bought one on the local state auction site-an impounded bike formerly owned by a meth head who was fleeing the police. On one hand, it doesn't even have 4500 miles (1993), but on the other it needs some love in a bad way. The tank is gone (apparently lost in the chase). The plastics are gone or painted with bed liner or something. The wire harness is hacked up for half-ass LEDs. The air box is missing. No seat. The muffler tip looks like it was chewed off by rats. The bike was more duct and electrical tape than anything else! Still, I think at its heart it is still a T-Dub and is indestructible!

I figured I'd start a thread on the topic of bringing this poor machine back to life. And, of course, to troll for ideas on how to achieve that goal without breaking the bank. It is meant to be a "fun" bike. I'm 6'6" so I don't think anything I can do will REALLY make it fit me, but I plan on doing a few things to move it in the right direction.

What you see in the pic is what i have, the rest I will be shopping for. My next stop will be a trip to the classified for a lengthy "WTB" post!

IMG_4421.jpg
    Purple and Badgerflorida like this.

Welcome to the board ....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 5000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007

Quote Originally Posted by 2big4aTdub View Post
    So....new member here. A riding buddy convinced me I need a T-dub to play with at his cabin. After tooling around on his, I agree! I bought one on the local state auction site-an impounded bike formerly owned by a meth head who was fleeing the police. On one hand, it doesn't even have 4500 miles (1993), but on the other it needs some love in a bad way. The tank is gone (apparently lost in the chase). The plastics are gone or painted with bed liner or something. The wire harness is hacked up for half-ass LEDs. The air box is missing. No seat. The muffler tip looks like it was chewed off by rats. The bike was more duct and electrical tape than anything else! Still, I think at its heart it is still a T-Dub and is indestructible!

I figured I'd start a thread on the topic of bringing this poor machine back to life. And, of course, to troll for ideas on how to achieve that goal without breaking the bank. It is meant to be a "fun" bike. I'm 6'6" so I don't think anything I can do will REALLY make it fit me, but I plan on doing a few things to move it in the right direction.

What you see in the pic is what i have, the rest I will be shopping for. My next stop will be a trip to the classified for a lengthy "WTB" post!

IMG_4421.jpg
    Welcome to the forum. If it were me, I would strip that thing bare and start the rebuild fresh. I'd even be looking for a donor/parts bike perhaps. Either way you chose, it's doable and parts are available. Definitely some work ahead of you and could be a great experience. Again, welcome. You came to the right place.
    Purple and Tweaker like this.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hey 2Big,

Looks like it could use a few zip ties and be ready to ride !

Let us know what you need in terms of info and parts, and we'll help you get that former "Rainbow Warrior" back on the road/trail. Also tell us where you are located, there may be one of us nearby that can help you out.

Brian

That thing does look like it deserves a detox cleanse with lots of anti-oxidants and Seafoam.
    Bigger footpegs, bar risers and ATV bars can help a bit with the ergonomics for a 6'6" pilot.
    Downloading an online service manual and asking questions here can help de-mystify and repair whatever the crack head did.
    Welcome and good luck.
    Tweaker likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Welcome to the forum! Not sure whether to say Congrats or Yikes. This has proven helpful to me and many others thanks to GaryL. Probably as good a place to start as any. Your bike does have a great story. Hope you get it up and running. Cheers.

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...back-life.html
    Tweaker likes this.
    01 street 203/204 RaceTech emulators (currently Dunlop K180s)
    96 hybrid Shinko 241/428
    89 back from the dead

Holy Crap!! nice project. you will definitely see the improvements you make. good luck and welcome to the forum
    Greg

2018 honda cb500x
    2018 honda crf250l
    2018 honda grom

Might as well give the link to the manuals now - https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...r-manuals.html

Make sure you are looking at the pre 2001 - drum brake version

Good luck - we're here if you need us ......
    Fred and Tweaker like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 5000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007

One good source for discounted (new) OE parts is https://www.partzilla.com/
    A great source for (new) aftermarket parts & accessories is https://procycle.us/bikepages/tw200.html
    Lotsa used stuff on eBay.

Dig around in this site...everything knowable on TeeDubs and how-to-do-it from knowledgeable dudes is right here. Also modifications.
    But you often have to dig like hell for it. Search-ability is not really our strong suit, but you are definitely in the right place!
    Something very helpful:
    If you find a thread you like and want to explore deeper, look at the very bottom of the last page of the thread for links to similar discussions.
    All this will help you determine how much time, work & money will be required. My guess is both will be considerable...

Don't be afraid of asking what may be a "dumb question". Despite there really being no such thing, there are a few here that will purposely give you a "dumb answer"...for whatever reason. But you will find 98% are totally straight shooters and can help a lot.

Get a Service Manual covering your year model. You can find them on-line for free but I like paper manuals better for several reasons/ Amazon is a good source for new & used.

Welcome to the Forum...and good luck!
    “It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

Humans: simultaneously capable of such genius and such douchebaggery!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Thanks all for the encouragement! Yeah, I've paused a couple times to ponder what I've gotten myself in to, but it is -10 out so might as well sink my teeth into a project. Also, thank you for the references for manuals / parts. Some of the obvious stuff I'll be shopping for:

Full plastics
    Tank (might be able to buy one from Greendub in the classifieds)
    Seat (Sounds like pans are hard to come by, might just have to go new, thanks PlacerLode)
    Speedo mounting plate
    Air box
    tail light assembly (i've seen some pics of builds here with some nice aftermarket options-open to suggestions!)
    Possibly a wire harness
    lights-probably cheap aftermarket LEDs
    fresh tires

Also I'll be needs lots of nuts, bolts, and odd bits to hold everything together which don't necessarily come with when you buy parts off the bay.

And that's just for starters. Who knows what else i will find. I honestly didn't know the air box was missing until i peeled off 10 layers of tape. My only consolation is that the thing was running right up until the tank fell off any they caught up to him. HA!
    Sthrnromr and Darth like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links