2017 Stock Tires
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 2017 Stock Tires

2017 Stock Tires

Hey All,

As I said a few days ago in another post, my son and I both purchased 2017’s and I am reading about the questionable front tires. Does that apply to asphalt as well? In New Hampshire, we do a lot of fire roads and back country roads, but not much off-road dirt riding. Obviously, with it being my son, I want to make sure we are being safe. We both have many years of riding under our belts, but relatively new to the TW family. Are the stock tires ok? Thanks for any advice.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Stock tires are not bad for the riding you mentioned. Knobby vibration gets a bit annoying on the road but not a safety issue in my opinion. Be careful in the wet.
    Rigenie and jtomelliott49 like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 10K miles, decent condition
    04 in great condition

The stock front tire is fine on pavement. It got its moniker from its tendency to wash out without warning in certain dirt situations....read: mud, slimy leaves, loose dirt, or any less than decent traction situation. Kinda like some knobbies.

The benefit of trials tires like the Shinko 241 is that they are great on pavement as well as various dirt situations such as pea gravel. When it comes time to replace the front, the Shinko is the current favorite.

The rear tire is fine for most people on pavement or dirt. Only folks who want to do aggressive technical dirt feel the need for an ATV tire on the rear.
    Rigenie, ejfranz, RaZed1 and 2 others like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

With a pair of relatively identically set up new TWs the option exists for a relatively inexpensive comparison tire test. You could spoon on a Shinko 241 on one bike then go for a series of riders, switch bikes back and forth, push each a bit but please don't crash. Then you could answer the age old question of : How does a new TrailWing compare to a Shinko 241 on pavement?
    You could really impress us with your impressions as most of the rest of us have strong biases one way or another not necessarily based on experience.
    Me? I'm an IRC GP-1 Trials kind of guy for everything from creeping up muddy goat trails to strafing twisty blacktop mountain passes...but then I am biased.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I have been riding TWs on stock tires since 1987....4 different bikes...frequently with other riders on TWs on stock tires and have never had a problem with them on dirt, sand, mud, snow, asphalt, concrete, gravel, talus, boulders...and egg shells.... of course I ride within my ability...and with the tires in good condition and properly inflated for the conditions....

its always seemed like the consensus was to change the tires i know there will be 1 or 2 that love the oem tires but i can say for a fact the front tire is a death trap on California freeways i am going with a Shinko 700 though many go with the Shinko 241 i chose the 700 over the 241 as it is slightly more geared for more street use and that is what i will be riding on ...

There are better tires than stock for sure especially off road. BUT I do believe the death wing thing is a bit blown out of proportion.

Before I switched to my 244 front tire I did plenty of street riding and some sand and mud trail riding. Taking it easy and aired down the stock trail wing did just fine. The new 244 gave me a bit more bite, more confidence and better feel for the front end off road. BUT on road the 244 is bigger and heavier and made the front end a tad heavy/sluggish in comparison.

From what I have read the 241 is a good middle ground replacement that is better on street than my 244 but in comparisons to a fellow rider still lacks the incredible side bite in slippery off camber stuff I seem to find myself in offten.

Personally I plan to try a 241 if my 244 ever wears out.
    Rigenie, Peterb and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

2010 Yamaha TW200

2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 HO

2005 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4

Thanks everyone! Yet again, this site proves to be so beneficial. With the bikes being so new, I will keep the tires on for now, but will ask for suggestions when it comes time to swap them out. Be safe and God bless.
    Sthrnromr and jtomelliott49 like this.

I vote 203/204 on or off road.
    oilhed and jtomelliott49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
    I vote 203/204 on or off road.
    Id say the man is crazy to be suggesting these for off road. But after following him down the trail with a nearly bald set of those tires I must say they seemed to work for him well. Even in my great nemesis SAND.
    2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

2010 Yamaha TW200

2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 HO

2005 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links