TW-200 Weight / RV
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: TW-200 Weight / RV

TW-200 Weight / RV

Hello,

Newbie to the forum and (almost) a TW200 owner. I'm going to be hauling a 5th wheel rv and the rear hitch on the 5th wheel has a 300lb load rating and I'm thinking that between the weight of a carrying rack and the bike I'll be over that limit. I really don't like the idea of the bike being near or over weight limit when bouncing around on the back of an RV/Trailer where I can't see it!

Another option I'm considering is a front mounted rack for the bike to side on the front of 15-16 F-350, and I've seen couplers rated up to 500lb. I've heard comments on other sites about blocking headlights and turn signals (could overcome that with remote mount lights) and also that the bike may block airflow to radiator.

My question(s):
    Does anyone haul their TW on a front mount rack?
    Does anyone haul on the back of a 5th wheel/travel trailer?
    I've seen loads of great mods: are there mods that can be made that will lighten the TW but still maintain functionality and performance?

Any answers, ideas, input & thoughts are appreciated!

Jim

I have a rack that I use on the hitch of my pickup, but I also have a 5th wheel that would not allow for that. I think personally I would be more comfortable with the TW on the front of the truck, where I can see it, than on the back of my 5th wheel trailer. I know there are some folks here that definitely use the front rack setup, so hopefully they will chime in. Also, this thread seems to have some good info throughout that may be helpful https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/gen...-can-load.html
    JimsRVLife and bartruff like this.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

Quote Originally Posted by JimsRVLife View Post
    Hello,

Newbie to the forum and (almost) a TW200 owner. I'm going to be hauling a 5th wheel rv and the rear hitch on the 5th wheel has a 300lb load rating and I'm thinking that between the weight of a carrying rack and the bike I'll be over that limit. I really don't like the idea of the bike being near or over weight limit when bouncing around on the back of an RV/Trailer where I can't see it!

Another option I'm considering is a front mounted rack for the bike to side on the front of 15-16 F-350, and I've seen couplers rated up to 500lb. I've heard comments on other sites about blocking headlights and turn signals (could overcome that with remote mount lights) and also that the bike may block airflow to radiator.

My question(s):
    Does anyone haul their TW on a front mount rack?
    Does anyone haul on the back of a 5th wheel/travel trailer?
    I've seen loads of great mods: are there mods that can be made that will lighten the TW but still maintain functionality and performance?

Any answers, ideas, input & thoughts are appreciated!

Jim
    Being that you have a fifth wheel, what is the clearance between your bumper hitch if you have one that will accept a rack? I am thinking of putting my tw on one under the nose of the fifth wheel. I carry mine a bit back on my truck and have a lot of room there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your input!
    If not a front rack, do you think there is a way to mount some kind of rack across bed directly behind cab to mount bike in front of 5th hitch (long bed)?

I have carried my dub on the back and front of my motorhome with no problems - some of the roads on cross country trips were flat out crazy bouncy etc as well. I like having it in the front - really can keep and eye on it lol - but no night driving with it on front.

So ,

How much does a Tdub weigh ?
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by UstaKood View Post
    So ,

How much does a Tdub weigh ?
    If 100% stock, supposedly ~278 lbs. wet weight. I have never weighed one however.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

front carry effects things like headlamps. license plates and cooling I'd avoid that but your rear 5th wheel hitch can easily be reinforced by any welders at a muffler shop etc or maybe even a bolt on solution we are talking 350 lbs with a TW and a Versahaul VH-55 hitch hauler

front carry also coats your TW with bugs and road grime like you wouldn't believe lol
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Jim, are you talking about a receiver hitch on the back of the 5th wheel RV trailer or a receiver hitch on the back of the haul vehicle?
    Either way any reasonable TW carrier with a TW on it will exert an effective force exceeding the quoted rating of a 300 pound trailer tongue weight. The bike on a carrier just does not equate with a trailer loads over a trailer ball.
    Could go into a physics dissertation on force times lever arms for effects on the vehicle elements based on distanced from center of load to receiver hitch socket, distances to receiver hitch mounting attachments on vehicle, and distance of course to rear axle.
    However in today's litigious environment and commonly accepted good engineering practices a safety margin of 200% to 250% of observed failure loads is common.
    As such while your insurance company would look to the comparison of all up weight of the TW plus fuel plus accessories plus carrier weights vs. the 300# rating in practice your receiver can carry significantly more static weight. Dynamic loads from bumps and other accereations are a different matter.
    admiral likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Jim, are you talking about a receiver hitch on the back of the 5th wheel RV trailer or a receiver hitch on the back of the haul vehicle?
    Either way any reasonable TW carrier with a TW on it will exert an effective force exceeding the quoted rating of a 300 pound trailer tongue weight. The bike on a carrier just does not equate with a trailer loads over a trailer ball.
    Could go into a physics dissertation on force times lever arms for effects on the vehicle elements based on distanced from center of load to receiver hitch socket, distances to receiver hitch mounting attachments on vehicle, and distance of course to rear axle.
    However in today's litigious environment and commonly accepted good engineering practices a safety margin of 200% to 250% of observed failure loads is common.
    As such while your insurance company would look to the comparison of all up weight of the TW plus fuel plus accessories plus carrier weights vs. the 300# rating in practice your receiver can carry significantly more static weight. Dynamic loads from bumps and other accereations are a different matter.

Note to self.

1. Do not challenge Fred to a game of Scrabble.

Tom
    admiral, joeband, Miaugi and 2 others like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links