Jump starting the TW200
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Jump starting the TW200

Jump starting the TW200

I'm about as expert at push starting a TW200 as a person could become by way of trial and error. Seems the stock batteries last about two years. Since we have two bikes one seems to die every year. If you cant wait a couple of years for your battery to fail, you could just turn the bike off leaving the key in the on position which will drain the battery in about 20 minutes. Once your battery is good and dead this is what you do. Place the bike in 4th gear and push it a few feet and pop the clutch. What's important is not to jump onto the bike. Remain standing next to the bike and work the clutch and throttle as you run along side it. However, your not really running as the bike jump starts during the first few feet.

Gather around, gather around, allow Dan to recall an adventure. Sue and I had just purchased our bikes and proceeded to camp and ride in the Alvord Desert. The Alvord Desert is famous enough because this is were the women's world land speed record was recorded. This is where you take fast women. Dried up ancient lake bed perfectly flat for miles and we camped two miles into the middle of it. I discovered my dead battery the next mourning. I placed the bike in second gear and pushed it as fast as I could and at the proper time I jumped onto the bike and popped the clutch. The rear wheel skidded to a stop, didn't start. I then proceeded to push the bike again using fourth gear. Run, run, and running jump onto the bike and pop the clutch the motor turns over , but fails to start. I'm receiving a good work out by now. Sue is amused by my antics and refers to it as the "run and rant". Sue offers her advise which was "maybe you should turn the key to the start position." You think! By the time she finished laughing I was well rested and prepared to try again with Sue's assistance. Sue is pushing from the rear and I push holding the handle bars, off we go. We gain some speed and momentum and at the proper moment I mount the bike and pop the clutch and it starts easily. Wish I'd have checked the oil level and added gas while the bike wasn't running. Duh! This wasn't the end of it, it gets better.

We ride for awhile and come upon a nice creek and we ride down to its shore and take a break. Why did I turn the bike off? How lame brain! Now I'm at the bottom of a hill with a dead battery. Sue stops laughing long enough to help me push the bike up the hill in reverse. Sue sits down in a safe place anticipating a good show. I mount the bike, place it in fourth gear, turn the key on and start rolling down toward the creek. I've allowed ten feet to start the bike and five feet to stop the bike. Here goes what I call the start and skid. The bike starts and I stop and Sue gave me applause. I must be a smart guy to get myself out of these predicaments. Dirts a Flyen SanDue

image.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fred, Mel, Elvesus and 6 others like this.

Dan, have you considered using one TW to jump start the other? Those flat 2-pole connectors referred to as "SAE" or "Battery Tender" you likely have already wired in can be linked together with 10 or 12 gauge compatible harnesses like this: Then one bike can start the other without removing seat and swapping batteries, or using conventional jumper cables:

KUNCAN 3FT Sae to Sae Extension Cable DC Power Heavy Duty 12AWG 2 Pin Quick Disconnect Wire Harness with Waterproof
    Cover

Over New Years I used similar 18 guage wiring to trickle charge my van's dead battery from a fast idling Betty Boop. The technically horribly underrated wiring did the job though saving me from dismounting Van's battery and running it into town for charging at a service station. My problems always seem to occur late on a Friday in a remote place in the face of oncoming storm. I bought a jump start lithium battery pack since and plan to make up a similar cable for starting TW with remote battery without removing the seat.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-24-2019 at 01:01 PM.
    ejfranz, SanDue, Gerry and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Maybe that's why I always had trouble jumping the bike unless on a hill. I always used third. Or I forgot to turn the key on.
    ejfranz, SanDue and Tweaker like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The only time I tried to run and jump start it was in the winter without enough traction.

I'm into my fourth year and only tended to the distilled water levels or charging a few times. I've left it with low levels in freezing cold as well....I have felt the need to remove and charge the battery but this was likely due to not having the choke in the position it required till it was too late. In a hot dry climate, are your cells drying up?

My biggest issue with the stock battery so far is the weight.
    SanDue likes this.

Perhaps convince your significant other to get you a lithium, or AGM replacement battery as a gift for that next special occasion. Four years is pushing the life of conventional lead acid wet cell batteries. Greatly reduces maintenance requirements ( for the bike, not necessarily for the significant other)...no corrosion on the terminals, no explosive hydrogen generation, no need to keep distilled water on hand.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-24-2019 at 01:32 PM.
    SanDue, Ken, jtstdub and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Yup. AGM is the way to go for the next replacement. I get about 4 years out of an AGM, but I can let the bike sit upside down for half an hour after crashing.

I found L-ion batteries a bit on the expensive side for a measly TW.
    grewen likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

AGM/Battery Tender "Plus" and you should be good for 6-8 years. "Wet batteries just make no sense on a motorcycle, especially one that pretends to be a dirt bike like our beloved Tdubs.

And that extension jumper cord that Fred mentioned a couple posts before that'll connect two bikes together... I don't have one but someone I know does and their bike was dead-in-the-water.
    It really does work. Started his 1340cc big Harley with a little old 750 K75. Even I was amazed.
    SanDue, jtstdub and bartruff like this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

BTW, I did just buy that jumper but the 12 foot one, not 3 feet. That was too much trouble to move bikes together based on where the pig-tail was installed by the owner. Not always convent when off-road either.
    It'll store with my rope and extraction gear.
    Fred and SanDue like this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Be careful when using longer leads – long thin wires heat up more – but long thick wires soak up the juice. You have to look for a compromise

I wouldn’t consider anything over 2m for jump starting – but if it works for you, go for it …….
    Miaugi and grewen like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

If ordering for myself I would get a paired package of these 10 gauge 3 ft jumpers and plug them together if and when needed. Tetra-Teknica MotoBasic Series SAE-10G-2P SAE Quick Disconnect Extension Cable Value Pack, 3 Feet, 10AWG Stranded Tinned Copper Wire, 2 per Pack

I had just tossed out the photo of the 12 gauge as an example of the dozens of off-the-shelf pigtail options affordably available. I started my van battery using 10 feet of 18 gauge wire I chopped off Betty Boop's air compressor but was only pushing 3 amps or so for about 1/2 hour. Nothing overheated other than Betty Boop. Her oil came out toasted but important thing was I could self-rescue.
    jtstdub and SanDue like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links