Ford Sport Trac
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Ford Sport Trac

Ford Sport Trac

I'm thinking of buying a Ford Sport Trac for general use and to haul my Tdub around. I think with the tailgate down it is about 73" or so. The Sport Trac is a great little truck - basically an explorer with a bed. Kind of suits my needs since I don't need a full size truck. Hoping for some input before I pull the trigger on it. I understand I will need to keep the gate down if my bike is in the back. Thanks for your advice
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

I liked the idea of those for when an actual truck bed is not needed. My bro in law did too and bought one once. He sold it 2 months later because it got the same bad gas mileage as a normal truck but couldn't carry as much. Maybe his was worse than average.

Pick up a small trailer to pull behind your car.
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I bought a used 2004 4WD Sport Trac in 2007 and put another 200,000 miles on it mostly hauling a 16' tandem axle work trailer. Great small truck for my purposes and would have bought another but production ended in 2010.

I also pulled my camp trailer and gear. My present camp trailer in my avatar and below also carries my TW200 I pull with a Jeep Liberty which is about the same size as the Sport Trac.

1203 sm.jpg

8386 sm.jpg
    Last edited by M C Toyer; 02-27-2019 at 08:22 AM.

I thought they were a Ranger frame? I would just get a trailer or a full size truck. You will prolly get about the same mileage maybe?
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

Thank you for your input. A trailer would be a great alternative but for several reasons is not an option at this time. I loaded my tdub in my friends Sport Trac bed and it fits well but the tailgate needs to be down which is not a problem. Thanks again for all the advice. I have a few other smaller trucks to check out. Keep you posted...

Most tailgates seem pretty strong. I wouldn't worry but would be aware the the center of gravity of TW behind Sport Trac axle will effect handling and headlight alignment a bit.
    If concerned about weight bearing capacity of tailgate and tailgate cables you are not alone. How Much Weight Can My Truck's Tailgate Cables Support ...

https://www.discountramps.com/truck-...apacity/a/b79/
    ttps://www.explorerforum.com › ... › 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac

However if concerned a section of 3/4 ply or stiffer affixed from front of bed to end of tailgate could support some of weight otherwise bearing just on tailgate. Lock it in place when in use so it stays put, remove once done hauling TW
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I have an 02 Ranger 4 cyl 5 speed RWD which I believe is the same platform as Explorer. Very happy with mpg and ability to load and haul my TWs. Some of the engineering has me scratching my head. For example, to replace the clutch slave cylinder, you have to pull the trans bell housing. Then, I found a great deal on a 96 Tacoma (also 4 cyl 5 speed RWD) which I feel is on the opposite end of the engineering spectrum. I kept the Ranger as a bike hauler/winter beater/backup vehicle, but I cringe every time I need to work on it. Both good little trucks, but I park the Tacoma for the winter to avoid our rust belt problems because I intend to keep it forever. There are lots of other good little trucks out there. Just my opinion - YMMV.
    01 street 203/204
    96 hybrid Shinko 241/428
    89 restored SOLD

My wife has had a Sport Trac since 2004. She absolutely loves it! In fact, she just recently put in a brand new engine. She couldn't find a replacement that was more cost effective and because everything else but the engine was in great shape she gave it a transplant. It is awesome in the snow. An impressive little truck.

I think the Sport Tracs are pretty cool looking and seem to offer great utility. I was just looking on cars.com and saw this awesome conversion. Miles are a little high but a good price.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...ff=share_other

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links