Just walked out to the Garage....
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Just walked out to the Garage....

Just walked out to the Garage....

.....and looked at Ol' Blue....Hoot has been neglectful to say the least....here we are {Gary L, Mel, Me, and Others?} 2 months away from our Big Bend get together in late April/Early May...Oh Hell let's call it May, since I won't be arriving until at least May 1st or 2nd....

Anyway the 2014 has been sitting in the garage this long winter{longest one in recent memory and still at least another month to go} and has not been started since December...in fact the 3 garage/outdoor cats have been hanging around it, one it at least appears has been using the seat for bed, when the weather is wet and muddy ...Shame on me, but sometimes you let things go}.

I turn 70 in two weeks, March 16th to be exact....and regardless of your best thoughts, sometimes you just hibernate for much of the winter...and with the exception of doing a little work for Honda on occasion, I have been sitting around watching Hockey on the tube, drinking to many beers, and watching the Grandsons on occasion....wondering where my riding was headed...if at all....?

Anyhow, I decided to keep Ol Blue, but at the same time I was looking for a 4 Wheel Dual Sport as well, after all, even when I give up riding, I still need to get off road. So finally late last month I found one, at a dealer near Dayton, a 2009 X Jeep Wrangler that I wanted... less than 65,000 miles, one owner, 6 speed manual tranny, and only 2 doors...don't need no Soccer Mom Wrangler that costs $60,000 new...they have high resale value, but not that much. This one fits me, my budget, and, although I had not had a Wrangler in nearly 10 years, this one didn't take long getting used to....wife has her Altima, and I still have the Nitro and haul trailer....the Big Question Is:

Do I take the Jeep or haul the TW to Big Bend behind the Nitro? I know Mel is up to bringing 3 TWs on his trailer....so in the next weeks I have a decision to make...meanwhile one that I have to stick with is...I need to clean up the TW, put an new front tire on, and tune it up....but I'm slowly beginning to shake off the winter and after a trip to the VA down in Columbus next week, to make sure all is in order...I will get my old, nearly 70 year old, arse in gear and get ready for Texas....

The "New" {to me} Wrangler out at Windy Point on Frozen Grand Lake and Ol Blue the 2014 sitting in the garage in need of some TLC before Spring... and some 50 years ago in my first retro Wrangler

Jeep at Windy Point 1.jpg Tw Dirty 2019.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

I have a Wrangler also...and love it! Mines a TJ. I have the 2 inch receiver in the rear and put one on the front - have carried the TW front and rear. Been using the Jeep a lot this winter - more than my Dub. Springs coming, but the snow will be around for quite a while.
    Nice looking machines

Hoot Gibson, you are an inspiration to me as I won't be 65 until October so I'm still considered a pup by some around here at just 64! I totally love the look of your new Jeep and I assume that is you back in '69? If so thank you for your service! ....and not a bad pic at all, nice keep sake!
    Hoot Gibson and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Miaugi View Post
    Hoot Gibson, you are an inspiration to me as I won't be 65 until October so I'm still considered a pup by some around here at just 64! I totally love the look of your new Jeep and I assume that is you back in '69? If so thank you for your service! ....and not a bad pic at all, nice keep sake!
    Yea, that was my "Summer of 69" .... in the garden spot of Vietnam @ Nha Trang...next stop no so beach worthy, Saigon the next year....1970

Hidden Content

March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary

Take both! If Miaugi can do it, so can you!

I've been watching the weather for three weeks for just TWO dry days in a row so I can get down to Anza Borrego Desert. Sheesh, what a winter!
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Rocky let me know when you get down this way. I’ve been planning on going out to the desert for the super bloom. Maybe we can meet up kinda my back yard.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

When I get to Big Bend I am going to beat you with a stick for the neglect you have put on Old Blue! He looks like you rode him hard and put him away wet last fall. It looks to me like your drive is about 1800 miles one way and mine is 2150. Take the vehicle that is most comfortable over a long drive weather you bring that nasty looking bike or not. I will be in my 2016 4 Runner cruising along on cruise control with the XM cranking and my trusty co pilot by my side. She already knows some kind of road trip is coming as she watches me get the camping gear assembled. The very last thing any of us need is a break down on the road. Think we will all have a case of Major Assburn by the time we hit BB.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Ol' Blue isn't as bad as it looks...sitting in the garage with the cats, snowblowers, and wife's wet Nissan...and the most snow outside in years. left Blue looking a little rough...New Battery, New {or the original "Death Wing"} front, and Blue will be ready to go...already has new chain, oil change and all else...as far as the Nitro or Jeep? Nitro is better for the long haul and it doubles as a sleeper...both vehicles have XM, and A/C so I'm about ready....but will be for sure by mid April : I think sad11:
    jtomelliott49 and GaryL like this.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    Ol' Blue isn't as bad as it looks...sitting in the garage with the cats, snowblowers, and wife's wet Nissan...and the most snow outside in years. left Blue looking a little rough...New Battery, New {or the original "Death Wing"} front, and Blue will be ready to go...already has new chain, oil change and all else...as far as the Nitro or Jeep? Nitro is better for the long haul and it doubles as a sleeper...both vehicles have XM, and A/C so I'm about ready....but will be for sure by mid April : I think sad11:
    OK, so I will just beat you with a small twig. I guess which vehicle you take will depend on the load you bring and the capacity you need. I have not been in a Jeep X so don't know how they are on a long travel drive. Snow here has not been too bad this winter but it is snowing here now and will continue right through Monday with 8-10 inches predicted and then we get another bitter cold snap for the rest of the week down in single digits. I finally got a real nice day yesterday to get out and do some ice fishing. About 30 degrees and no wind at all and the fish actually cooperated. Fresh trout for dinner tonight.

Trout March 1-19.JPG

GaryL
    Mel, TW-Brian, Sthrnromr and 5 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

can you do a hitch rack to carry the TW on the Jeep and bring both?
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    87 TW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links