Flat tire repair
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By ejfranz
  • 1 Post By ejfranz
  • 1 Post By Fred

Thread: Flat tire repair

Flat tire repair

Didn't get much traction on facebook so...

I need info regarding tubes but post your tubless info as well for others.

What do you carry for flat repair?
    2001 TW

For the front, I carry tire irons, electric air compressor and the glueless bicycle patches. Tube has slime in it, but I now use ride-on in my other motorcycles. Rear is a Duro, so if it goes flat, I doubt I will notice and just ride it out and deal with it at home.
    Miaugi and Fred like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Slime or Stan's in the tubes. If you're really going off the beaten path, can't really escape bringing tools, irons, and a spare tube. I consider some in-tube sealant sufficient for general puttering around. If I pick up a nail or something in the road it slows the leak down enough to make it home. Heavy duty tubes can help resist pinch flats if you're running low pressure off road but don't do anything for pointy road trash punctures, and the extra rotating mass in the tires is noticeable for pavement performance and handling.

Some people here have experimented with sealing up the rims with silicone and a rim mount valve stem, and going tubeless. Supposedly this works pretty well but I have not done it myself.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

As a side note to this thread.
    2 weekends ago I was at the DualSportBC Flat tire social and they had a demonstration on how to install a mousse and why we should use one.
    Well, not quite sold on it, as they have a limited life span, but would probably last longer in the front of the TW.
    They are the way to go if you do not want to deal with flats and they are stable up to 80 mph.
    Ken likes this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

I sealed spokes for a rear rim with an ATV tire since the ATV tire is essentially non-removable in the field. Being Tubeless rather than running a stock tube allows greater success with sealants like RideOn as well as permitting use of simple plugs for common punctures.
    Front tire is in the hands of fate out on the trail with only pre-installed RideOn in the tube and an on-board air compressor. I am prepared to limp home stopping to pump up as necessary.
    These strategies evolved from earlier acceptable lesser alternatives like CO2 cartridges and cans of aerosol FlatFix.
    There are some true heroes out there but rare is the TW rider who has successfully repaired a puncture on a tubed Trailwing rear tire trailside. Those who have succeeded have my respect and admiration.
    Ken likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Hmm... I wonder if previous owner added any.
    Slime/ride on seems to be the popular route.
    2001 TW

Quote Originally Posted by TW Newb View Post
    If the tube has Slime in it you can find out by removing the valve core. Just don,t remove it when the stem is at the bottom of the wheel.
    Ride-on is more viscous and takes a long time to pool. I doubt it would show by taking the valve core out.

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TW Newb View Post
    If the tube has Slime in it you can find out by removing the valve core. Just don,t remove it when the stem is at the bottom of the wheel.
    Ride-on is more viscous and takes a long time to pool. I doubt it would show by taking the valve core out.
    I'll shoot him a text later and just ask lol
    2001 TW

Sponosred Links