TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Push-Starting the TW 200

8K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  Fred 
#1 ·
I'm sure this topic has been discussed several times on this forum.

In fact, I was having trouble pop-starting my TW today (even though its been on the Battery Tender all winter long).

Only after referring to this forum did I learn that its best to push start the TW in 3rd gear (not 1st, as I was trying). It made sense to me that popping in 1st gear should turn the engine over more times than it would in 2nd or 3rd gear; but 1st gear only lead to a lot of skidding.

It took 2, maybe 3 attempts to get her started using 3rd gear. Awesome advice--thanks! I don't understand the logic or mechanics of why 3rd gear is better to use than 1st, but I am a believer now. Is there a quick explanation for this? Having a kick-starter installed is beginning to make a lot of sense. I'll check out those topics next.

Anyone else have problems with their Battery Tenders? I know they don't really charge a depleted battery, but I was told if you have a fully-charged battery, it will keep it happy--long time. Any suggestions to get the best results from these?

Thanks--we all appreciate helpful tips!

See less See more
#2 ·
fwiw i've always used 2nd

#3 ·
Jim,

-As you said, 1st gear made for skidding. A higher gear provides less resistance so the tire can get grip and actually turn over the motor. The electric start doesn't turn over the motor very quickly.

-What battery tender are you using? For such a small battery, I've found that using the Jr. model is most appropriate at a charge output of 750mA. Other chargers that put out over an amp can actually be detrimental in my experience.

-I also find that when storing a bike for several months, like the winter season, that using the BT jr. to charge the battery fully and then removing it and simply keeping it somewhere inside where the temperatures are stable works better than just leaving it plugged in.

-Finally, if your battery got that run down flat, it might be a goner. If it doesn't seem to hold a charge well after you charge it back up fully, you may want to look at replacing it. I'm on year 4 with a sub-$30 sealed agm from ebay, and I've never had it on a tender.

That's my 2 cents. Good luck.

Reactions: Darth and Allanb
#4 · (Edited)
No problems with Battery Tenders. I have five (5) of them running right now for all 5 bikes. Actually 6 if you include my generator.
"If" I was to jump-start the TW (I never have had to) it would be in 2nd gear. You mention your bike has been on a Tender all Winter... you have some other problem. Maybe fuel/carb/bad contacts/etc... lots of stuff after a Winter rest and probably nothing major.

Start with checking your battery for voltage. BT maintains, doesn't fix other issues.
When you do get it started Seafoam is your friend so go for a good ride and get it circulating throughout your system.

Another good reason to have a kick-starter BTW.

Reactions: Darth
#5 ·
I've been using a Battery Tender Jr. for years, never had a problem. It's true that if you deplete these little batteries (or any battery, for that matter) down to near zero you have killed it. It might take a charge and rise from the dead like a zombie, but it's still a zombie and will turn on you at the slightest provocation, usually when you are at the bottom of a hill and leave the headlight on for two minutes. :eek:

Like Larry, I put on the BT jr. once a month or so for a few hours in the winter, not continuously.

#8 ·
3rd or 4th works best. Had to push start mine a lot last year on the Oregon ride. Electric start quit on second day. Turned out to be loose wire to my stock battery connection. Kick starter is on my list too. Have stopped down in some holes where pushing won't have been much of an option

#9 ·
A word of caution about leaving equipment hooked up to any of the extensive Battery Tender line of products for extended periods of time:
Local Fire Marshall's investigative team said "Battery Tender" trickle chargers left on a pair of ATVs triggered a fire that consumed my neighbor's garage, both ATVs and a nice Harley. Fortunately it was a detached garage or whole house may have been involved with significantly greater loss.

Reactions: grewen and Darth
#10 ·
I think that if you use a AGM tender on a Lead Acid battery long term ( months), it will boil it dry!

Try kick starting a TW without a kicker like this. Lay the bike on shifter side in 2nd or 3rd gear depending on how long your legs are and with the handlebars turned to the right. Velcro or rubber band the clutch lever to the grip. Lay on the ground with your right hand holding the front wheel and your left hand on the throttle and you facing the underneath of your baby. Make sure the key is on, handlebar switch is on run and the kickstand is up !! Then with a good riding boot on your left foot, kick the rear wheel hard towards the license plate and it will start. Get up and run around quickly and pick up the bike. Sit on the bike then take the clutch strap off the lever. Do a wheelie !!

#12 ·
There is a big difference between a charger and a smart charger. There is a big difference between a Battery Tender Jr. & a Battery Tender "Plus". For some reason folks still think BT is a generic name for both and they do the same thing. The "Plus" will never "boil over" you battery if you leave it on. The Jr. is a great charger but it is a regular-type that you should not leave on for extended periods. It's a charger, not a maintainer.
I'll be starting my old r60/2 today as it has been buried in the back of the garage all Winter and it has been on a "Plus" since November. Started occasionally but never off the charger.
Same for the 5 years I've owned that bike.

Reactions: Fred
#13 · (Edited)
I think you are mistaken. The Battery Tender Jr is a maintainer and is fully automatic. That is its whole purpose. Mine has been on my Multistrada all winter.

Quote from Battery Tender Jr. Manual:

"Battery Tender® Junior chargers are completely automatic and may be left connected to both AC power and to the battery that it is charging for long periods of time."

#14 ·
Here are push-starting tricks/techniques from W-A-Y back.

Before you start pushing...first, remove any fat chicks.:grin:

Put the bike in whichever gear you choose. I'd probably use 2nd or 3rd, but I've never bump-started a T-Dub.
With the bike in gear and the clutch lever fully out, pull the bike backwards until the engine rotates.
Rotation will stop when the engine rotates far enough for compression to stop the piston.
Make sure the gas & ignition are ON .
Pull in the clutch lever.
Push the bike as hard and fast as you can.
Dump the clutch lever and keep pushing.

The engine will then rotate in the normal, forward direction.
It will make nearly 1 complete revolution, building momentum, before the piston comes up on compression.
The momentum will make it easier to rotate through the compression stroke.
It will then spark, and hopefully...start!

Repeat until it starts...or doesn't.
If it doesn't, it is probably just flooded.
In that case try it again with the throttle wide effin' open. That "ventilates" the combustion chamber.

If it is flooded and all that doesn't work, remove spark plug and push bike through several engine rotations. With the plug out it will be much easier to push and clear up the flooded condition.
Dry & replace plug...it should now start.

In any scenario, when the bike fires, remember it is in gear and wants to GO! Whip the clutch lever in FAST or you will be hanging on for dear life! :eek:

OK, now here is the *real* EZ way to do it: :p
When you are pushing the as bike hard & fast as you can, just before you engage the clutch, jump up and hit the seat HARD with your ass, simultaneous with clutch engagement. Both legs to the left "side-saddle", or astride the seat....
Or...when the bike is going as fast as you can push it, mount it quickly with left foot on peg, swing leg over and bump the seat HARD.
This makes it even easier to push the piston through compression. And the rear tire won't try to skid.

The TeeDub may be short enough that you can "dog paddle" it, rather than push. Worth a try.

They are much easier to push downhill rather than up!:rolleyes:

Replace helmet and fat chicks and go for a ride!

I know this is way over-explained.
But I was addressing noobs and anyone else who is facing their first bump-start situation.
It can be a bit intimidating...

#15 ·
Don't forget that the Deltron Company markets over 70 different products bearing the "Battery Tender" name. To simply evoke the name "Battery Tender" does not specifically identify anything. The devil is in the details and leaving the wrong charger hooked up for extended periods of time can cause a catastrophic fire like my neighbor.

Reactions: Darth
#17 · (Edited)
You are correct sibyrnes. I've been using BT for so long I was not aware there had been a change sometime around 2005-2006. Previous the Jr. was known as "a trickle-charger with a brain" which it is not. Seems just different output between it and it's larger cousin.

Frequently Asked Questions - Products | Deltran Battery Tender

Oh, and after slowly priming the engine with the kicker 3-4 turns, my /60 started on the 3rd kick after 3 months of sleeping.
BT really makes a very nice product.

#18 · (Edited)
my apologies...in trying to reply, i accidentally deleted this post!

"
Leisure Time Larry

Jim,

-As you said, 1st gear made for skidding. A higher gear provides less resistance so the tire can get grip and actually turn over the motor. The electric start doesn't turn over the motor very quickly.

-What battery tender are you using? For such a small battery, I've found that using the Jr. model is most appropriate at a charge output of 750mA. Other chargers that put out over an amp can actually be detrimental in my experience.

-I also find that when storing a bike for several months, like the winter season, that using the BT jr. to charge the battery fully and then removing it and simply keeping it somewhere inside where the temperatures are stable works better than just leaving it plugged in.

-Finally, if your battery got that run down flat, it might be a goner. If it doesn't seem to hold a charge well after you charge it back up fully, you may want to look at replacing it. I'm on year 4 with a sub-$30 sealed agm from ebay, and I've never had it on a tender.

That's my 2 cents. Good luck. "

==================

what make model sealed battery did you find? thanks, carl

#19 ·
Had to push-start my '01 when the battery flopped on our last ride out. Well, the clutch springs are apparently weak, or the clutch plates are worn, as the first couple of tries the clutch slipped in 3rd gear before finally turning the engine on the 3rd attempt.

#21 ·
In addition to many of the other recommendations, I also make sure to fill my TW with clear gas, then add Stabil and run it until I am sure it has gotten through carb, then I shut off fuel and run til it quits... let sit for 5 minutes, start and run til it quits again, then just hook up BT and walk away.

One other note about batteries, especially these small motorcycle batteries. If you have ever let it go flat, it usually kills them... The plates are just too small to bring em back alive. So as soon as you start having battery issues, just replace it. At least that is my advice.

#24 ·
Welcome!! :D

#29 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.