Mental Health Problem - TW200 not enough for me?
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: Mental Health Problem - TW200 not enough for me?

Hey everyone,

I have read a ton on here about this awesome little bike and how it really can go anywhere the other bigger bikes go, just slower. I am 6'2" with only a 30-inch inseam (Marvin the Martian) and weigh in the region of 275. Big dude. I was really concerned about it being able to handle me but everything I read indicated it would be fine and I could just up the suspension if needed. I went to the dealership and got on one and loved how my short legs could spread out and hit the ground flat on both sides... very similar to all the road bikes I have ever had.. no real transition except sitting up straight. Drove it around a little and seemed to handle me just fine (except the clutch engagement.... just wow).

So, I get it home, go for a couple of longer trips and head into the "dirt" along some power lines. Was pretty fun and was impressed with it, but was a rough ride. The problem started when I got back on the road and it just didn't feel fast enough to even be safe for me to punch it to get out of something. I know the road isn't where this bike belongs, but its why I wanted a dual sport... fun on the road and fun off the road. This (for me) is only fun off the road.

So, I am thinking I am going to buy a KTM.. possibly even a buddies 2018 KTM 690 Enduro with 200 miles on it. He has a garage full of bikes and finds he prefers his 2 stroke off road and a street machine for road work. I haven't ridden it yet, but its basically the opposite bike to the TW.

Now, do i keep my TW200 and play in the woods with it when I feel like it, or do I sell it off to someone that is more appropriately sized and ok with the performance? My head tells me to sell it as I likely won't use it.

Did anyone else go through this crisis of identity? If you did, how did it work out... did you keep the TW as your only bike, did you buy something bigger, did you sell it? I feel pretty sad it isn't what I need it to be, and not sure if I can eventually learn to live with it. Maybe I haven't given it enough time.... someone slap me if I am being a crybaby.

Thanks.
    Last edited by TitanFlyer; 03-24-2019 at 09:23 AM.
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

There are tradeoffs to any decision. I have bikes of sizes from the tw to the Goldwing, each has a purpose. You get rid of that TW and you will regret what it can do for you. I too am 275. I geared it down with a 60t. I can still hit 55 without the engine parting. You get that bigger adv bike offroad in the mud or tough conditions and you will pray that you were on that little TW
    admiral, grewen, Ken and 2 others like this.

There is something wrong with you if you don't like the TW200! Go to the Dr Phil website ASAP!
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    Bigger and heavier guys than you thrive on these things. Even Tiny Tim cannot punch a TW. That bike will get you anywhere you want to go, but not like a 690 CC KTM. My 6 cyl Charger is a nice car. It will not let me run down my hemi when I punch it. Before concluding that you bought the wrong bike, just ride it for a season. I too have a 30 inch inseam and bought the bike because it was a fat tire bike with perfect seat height with the exact 200cc displacement I was looking for. It sits at 65 mph all day long with a windscreen that I cannot believe has not broken off along with the mirrors with the way I crash/fall, so on a 55 mph road I am still ok or in the worst case scenario a pull to the shoulder. Again, not an LIE rush hour lane splitting machine. The TW is the best fat tire 200 cc enduro in the world. Nobody should get any other 200cc fat tire enduro bike other than the TW 200. Everyone should ride a 200cc fat tire TW 200 enduro. If you want another bike, fine. Motorcycles are like dogs, life is always better when you have more than one. You can't buy a walk through Honda 90 and be disappointed by the inability to do wheelies.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Apolloha View Post
    There is something wrong with you if you don't like the TW200! Go to the Dr Phil website ASAP!
    LOL.. didn't say I don't like it... I do, it's just not up to both missions I wanted to do. I am leaning towards a divorce-inducing decision of buying the other bike and keeping this one too. i have a 12-year-old son that might be interested in jumping on the TW in a few years as well.

From someone who has ridden a lot of bikes, here is my 2 cents. Once you get that 690 off-road or single track, you’ll see it’s really a pig, and not that much fun, like any other 600+cc bike. On the road, sure that 690 will feel great with a twist of the wrist. But, it’s all about trade-offs. The biggest I would ever go in a true dual sport bike that I would seriously off-road with is around ~450cc. Even that is pushing it for me. The TW in technical off-road riding is the most fun I’ve had. Different approach to riding. I rarely care or have to think about lines. I just go!

I guess what I am trying to say is keep the tdub for a bit and pick up a road oriented bike of your liking for slab work. I think you’ll be happier. You can always sell later on. The TWs hold their value very well.

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by Sthrnromr; 03-24-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    Fred, admiral, Dryden-Tdub and 3 others like this.
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs

Way too many past bikes and builds to list. I won't bore you. Questions? Just ask.
    =)

I would ride the friends the tall-in-the-saddle KTM and see if that returns a pleasurable off-road experience before making a decision. Perhaps you preferred riding areas favors one bike over the other. With the KTM's 35.83 inch saddle height your 30 inch inseam might make you somewhat unsure at very slow & relaxing, or technical trail riding speeds. KTM will reward an aggressive style. KTM will empty wallet aggressively too with initial purchase and maintenance costs.
    Cheaper than a KTM is a beater small pick-up to haul the TW to riding areas thus avoiding highway stress on a 200cc bike. Cheap enough to buy a second TW for your son too...Father & son riding together can be a good bonding experience and can really make the wife nervous.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I would ride the friends the tall-in-the-saddle KTM and see if that returns a pleasurable off-road experience before making a decision. Perhaps you preferred riding areas favors one bike over the other. With the KTM's 35.83 inch saddle height your 30 inch inseam might make you somewhat unsure at very slow & relaxing, or technical trail riding speeds. KTM will reward an aggressive style. KTM will empty wallet aggressively too with initial purchase and maintenance costs.
    Cheaper than a KTM is a beater small pick-up to haul the TW to riding areas thus avoiding highway stress on a 200cc bike. Cheap enough to buy a second TW for your son too...Father & son riding together can be a good bonding experience and can really make the wife nervous.
    i currently have a Ford Raptor that I just bought (my second) and its sort of the same way. The jeep guys tell me that its a pig in the technical stuff, and it certainly is, but I love the looks and feel of the Raptor. Now, i can always throw the TW on the carrier and take it where I want to go, and that may be the right way to go. i just can't get the idea of a bigger bike with some real speed out of my head. i likely won't be riding REALLY technical single track stuff. We have a place up near Asheville NC in the mountains and I planned on taking the TW up there to go out to Brown or Bushy, but mostly just jeep trails and fire roads etc.

Smart thing to do would be to give it a season and see what happens, but nobody has ever accused me of being smart.
    Tweaker and jtomelliott49 like this.

Maybe drop down a size on the KTM to something like a 350 EXCF with a lowering kit. ktm 350-excf.jpeg Keep the TW for your son in a few years.
    Sthrnromr and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Yeah. At the end of the day, it’s your money and your choice. Do what makes YOU happy. That is the most important thing.

You asked for opinions. We give em’.

Where are you located exactly?
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs

Way too many past bikes and builds to list. I won't bore you. Questions? Just ask.
    =)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links